All-Star 2016-2017 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Some would and others couldn't. Many teams can't afford to fly out American coaches to work with them. They have who they have and that's it. Even companies like Spring who do work with a lot of Intl. teams can't keep up with demand. My understanding is that they are only working with properly levelled teams this year. Where does that leave IO(C) 6 teams?

Look at Flyers. They have been working with Spring for years now, have several globes in IO6 and they were the first non-US team to get a globe in a Sr. division in 2016. How long have they been at it, and they have the resources and ability to work with outside coaches. They wanted to play with the big dogs and have been busting their butts for years now to do it. Many teams just can't do that due to costs.

Like I said, I hate the top 3 thing, but I don't think changing it right now will help. We need more equity. Honestly, I think the best we can do at the moment is bring in a minimum scoring to make finals, at least in the Intl divisions. That way, these teams still have the motivation to attend, are pushed to get better, but they're not being shut out completely by strong US (and maybe Canadian) programs. A lot of programs will see fair placements as something they will never attain and will just stop attending.
wait what? im like 99% sure they didn't globe in any senior divisions..

Gymnastics does have a rule like that though... in any Olympics or World championships, a maximum of two athletes per country can compete in all round finals
It is a terrible rule there also. To me, a better analogy would be if they didn't allow more than one player per country into the Wimbledon semi-finals, more than 3 Kenyans in the top 10 at the Boston Marathon, or more than 1 person from any state into the final round of the Masters.

It is a terrible rule there also. To me, a better analogy would be if they didn't allow more than one player per country into the Wimbledon semi-finals, more than 3 Kenyans in the top 10 at the Boston Marathon, or more than 1 person from any state into the final round of the Masters.

I think in the next 5 to 10 years world cheer will be at a place where we can drop the 3 per country and have a good mix of countries but for now I think a compromise of a minimum score would help discourage some teams who Re not ready for the worlds floor to come.

Sorry, you're right. I think they were the first Canadian team to make top 10 in a senior division. For some reason, I thought they were third, but they have so many teams at Worlds that I probably can't keep track.
yeah I think they were the first to make top 10 in a senior division! I also think they were the first Canadian team to win worlds!

I think in the next 5 to 10 years world cheer will be at a place where we can drop the 3 per country and have a good mix of countries but for now I think a compromise of a minimum score would help discourage some teams who Re not ready for the worlds floor to come.
Setting an expiration date on the quota rule would be a step in the right direction.

I might argue that if they "aren't ready for the Worlds floor", they may not need to attend Worlds in the first place.

This would normally be the part where I suggest that IASF sets up regional or continental championships to help foster the growth of the sport elsewhere. However, I don't think that IASF/USASF needs to be anywhere in the vicinity of producing any more events (or taking on ANY new projects) unless/until they absolutely clean house in the leadership department.

Setting an expiration date on the quota rule would be a step in the right direction.

I might argue that if they "aren't ready for the Worlds floor", they may not need to attend Worlds in the first place.

This would normally be the part where I suggest that IASF sets up regional or continental championships to help foster the growth of the sport elsewhere. However, I don't think that IASF/USASF needs to be anywhere in the vicinity of producing any more events (or taking on ANY new projects) unless/until they absolutely clean house in the leadership department.

I agree with this statement. This is the same reason why many gyms in the US do not send a Worlds team. They simply aren't ready to go to that level. There are gyms in the US that don't have the resources or the coaching to build a level 5 team and USASF isn't allowing them to beat out teams that are scoring higher.

I don't have experience in international cheer, so I can't speak for those gyms. But, I wonder if winning Worlds is really the only reason that international teams are trying to grow. Shouldn't they be promoting the sport simply because it's a great sport that builds teamwork and life skills? And, as it grows, the talent will progress and those teams will eventually be Worlds ready.

I agree with this statement. This is the same reason why many gyms in the US do not send a Worlds team. They simply aren't ready to go to that level. There are gyms in the US that don't have the resources or the coaching to build a level 5 team and USASF isn't allowing them to beat out teams that are scoring higher.

I don't have experience in international cheer, so I can't speak for those gyms. But, I wonder if winning Worlds is really the only reason that international teams are trying to grow. Shouldn't they be promoting the sport simply because it's a great sport that builds teamwork and life skills? And, as it grows, the talent will progress and those teams will eventually be Worlds ready.

And for the gyms in the US who aren't ready for worlds and send a team anyway, well, they get only one day regardless of if they're from Florida or Alaska.

I'd really like to know what the cost per year is for international foreign teams vs US open teams. I would assume it is not that much different when you look at the yearly cost rather the cost of World's itself. GT's open teams travel to NCA and Cheersport and Worlds. Cali and Cheerforce Nfinity both travel to NCA and Worlds. Those teams have multiple flights and multiple nights in hotel rooms in a season (and if they have to pay STP room prices then *shutters*). Going to worlds and getting to worlds are two different costs. International teams might pay more to go to worlds but to get to worlds, the two may spend the same amount.

Not that I think the amount of money you spend to get there should be a determining factor on if you make it into finals.
I can't speak for other countries but Australia has similar costs. For us this year all the opportunities to get a worlds bid are out of state which involves all the regular costs of flights, transport and accomodation. The main competition for bids is a 4 day event which is costing myself about $800 not including food and other taxi expenses. The cost to actuallu travel to worlds is more like $8000 excluding things like spending money, uniform and all the training in the lead up to it. Not sure how much it is for US teams but I'd love to hear for comparison

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Rumored ICE Aurora teams:

Small tiny 1
Small mini 1
Small youth 3
Small junior 2
Large junior 3
Small junior 4
Large junior 4
Large junior 5
Small senior 2
Large senior 3
Small senior 4
Large senior 4
Small senior 5
Small senior coed 5
Large senior coed 5

Shouldn't they be promoting the sport simply because it's a great sport that builds teamwork and life skills? And, as it grows, the talent will progress and those teams will eventually be Worlds ready.

We probably shouldn't confuse concepts. Individuals work in this industry because they believe in the life skills.

ANY company in this industry is involved because they believe in the life skills AND can turn a profit. If that involves a Worlds team, great, othwerwise they'll field whatever L1-R5 team they can get through the door.

Back