All-Star 2018 - 2019 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think the only team I raised eyebrows with, and really questioned how that was acceptable, was XXX, which was Cheer Extreme's IOC5 from like 2014.

I still remember one of their voiceovers went something along the lines of: "Hide your kids, 'cause we're rated R." Like, what.

I actually believe that team is back this year. Not sure if it really is or not.

I feel the same way. I'm a pretty die hard Cali fan but some of their mixes have given me pause in the past and with everything going on in America right now I have to wonder if everyone should take a slightly less cavalier attitude towards gun imagery. (Sexy6 was also an eyebrow rasier for me but I didn't care too much since it was a older team)
Someone on twitter posted some voiceovers from Cali team's music and without context they're somewhat spooky, especially with all the gun violence. If you want to have a team name based on guns, you do you. But when your music says stuff like "theres gonna be a massacre" and stuff like that... yikes.

I was very relieved when our gym chose not to continue Silver Bullets as a team name last year-particularly since that was the team that CP was likely to be on. It probably wouldn’t have been a “stop” for me, but it wasn’t something I was really comfortable with, either.

Everyone has been touched differently by gun violence. If you lost someone you love you may feel differently. I’m unsure why it is so hard for adults to feel compassion and have some understanding as to why this is being asked. It’s not about being over sensitive or needing safe spaces this is a true issue in America that has hurt many people. A team isn’t going to lose skills or become less of a team because they are asked to not reference guns.

Everyone has been touched differently by gun violence. If you lost someone you love you may feel differently. I’m unsure why it is so hard for adults to feel compassion and have some understanding as to why this is being asked. It’s not about being over sensitive or needing safe spaces this is a true issue in America that has hurt many people. A team isn’t going to lose skills or become less of a team because they are asked to not reference guns.
Guns don't kill people...people kill people. But, I'm from Texas so I may see things differently being that I was raised around guns my entire life. I certainly have compassion for people who have lost loved ones due to any sort of violence by a human...and that is the key word...a human committed the act of violence not a gun. That being said, I think it is silly to change names of teams or entire programs. Just my honest opinion though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This part.

The only person I know to die from gun violence died in a mass shooting. In the years since I’ve found my self drawing the line at what I will tolerate when it comes to this topic. The jokes/remarks people are making here are callous, unfortunate, and ignorant. Realistically they’re about to do so because this topic hasn’t probably hit close to home yet....but statistically sooner or later it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This part.

The only person I know to die from gun violence died in a mass shooting. In the years since I’ve found my self drawing the line at what I will tolerate when it comes to this topic. The jokes/remarks people are making here are callous, unfortunate, and ignorant. Realistically they’re about to do so because this topic hasn’t probably hit close to home yet....but statistically sooner or later it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sorry for your loss. I had friends that were at the Vegas shooting. The people I know that were there, the nurses I know in Vegas that cared for the people are forever traumatized. Kids go to school everyday wondering if this is the day their school gets shot up. It’s such a sad truth so many are living with. There is nothing wrong with people being asked to not reference guns. It’s not like cheer has anything to do with guns. So I don’t understand where people and their negative remarks are coming from.

i lost two friends in the orlando shooting, and while some of my stances on guns have changed, cali allstars or top gun doesnt offend me in any form.
But im also not hyper sensitive to things, like most people are these days.

i lost two friends in the orlando shooting, and while some of my stances on guns have changed, cali allstars or top gun doesnt offend me in any form.
But im also not hyper sensitive to things, like most people are these days.

It doesn’t personally offend me either. But why do I have to be personally offended to understand that someone else may be offended.

And it was just a suggestion. So no one is being forced to do anything.

Correction it wasn’t even a suggestion just an email that was shared and some gyms decided that changing names was the right thing for them.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I swear I read an interview with Victor Rosario about Top Gun's name origin being based on a group of awards given a college camp that he attended in college. He won several of them and the awards were ma,ed/based on the popularity of the movie and not the gun culture.

How many team names would they have to change if they decided to? All I can think of is the BBs.

It doesn’t personally offend me either. But why do I have to be personally offended to understand that someone else may be offended.

Because there will always be someone that is offended by something no matter what you do.

So the goal of eliminating anything that might offend someone is an impossible task.

Back