Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One thing I've seen a lot of coaches do when they're trying to improve technic is start from the very beginning. I mean reteach and perfect everything starting with a round off, walkover etc. The idea is you don't progress to the next skill until everything before it is perfect.

Other then that, the only thing I could say is get more private sessions.

Good luck

If you have not done so already - try having a video taken of your tumbling. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. My daughter's gymnastic's coach relied on this - especially when they needed to show her what she needed to correct. Good luck...my daughter has some of the same challenges - having to relearn moves - because the technique was not reinforced from the start.

Handstands! They are the biggest basic skill that I see problems with. Every tumbling piece has the handstand in it. Really work on having a great handstand and then trying to put that body position in all of your other tumbling from roundoffs to tucks, try to get that nice straight hollow position.

At my old gym, technique either wasn't really stressed, or was stressed but they didn't do anything tohelp us fix it. So when I got to my new gym, my tumbling seemed really bad, because I had terrible technique. I had to start with fixing my roundoff and my handstand. If you do not have good handstand technique, tumbling will be really hard. With your roundoffs, make sure that your arms come straight up from the floor, are close together and are slightly behind your head, rebound from your toes, and really try to squeeze your abs. I used to have that same problem years ago with my tucks. Really concentrate on the set before the tuck, if you dont have a set you dont have a tuck. Sometimes it may help to spot something on the wall before you tuck, and try to watch it as long as you can. That will help with not throwing youe head back. And as for swueezing your knees to your chest, that doesn't always work. With my standing tucks my legs are usually close to my chest, but if your feet are "dragging" behind you then you can't really land it. So try thinking about your shins and driving them over. So start with your set, nice an high with your arms up like in your rebound and don't flip with your shoulders (shoulders lift, not flip) use your hips and your shins to help your rotation. I hope that helped you!! That is basically everything my coach tells me to do. It is hard to fix bad habits, and it will take a while, but it can be done.

Bailey <3 your muscle memory is what's keeping you from progressing right now. You're also probably used to progressing before perfecting but perfection takes time so be patient. It's actually going to take you twice as long because you have to re-learn it all.

Everyone above me has already given some great advice. The only thing I really have to add is you need to focus on NOT doing it your way. Your used to your way bc it worked before--you got all the way to level 4 right? Your body is simply not going to let you change it up so easily b/c now your brain knows better.
Drills drills drills are going to be key for you. And you're really going to have to focus on doing the skills completely differently than you did before. If you throw tucks back then tell your coach "spot me heavy bc I'm about to just jump and pull my hips and not look back at all" and then DON'T --just trust your coach to help you with the skill and force those hips up while you stare at the wall. You really have to start all over in order to get your technique down pat. It's gonna feel awkward. Just don't get frustrated and listen very carefully to your coach!

Bailey <3 your muscle memory is what's keeping you from progressing right now. You're also probably used to progressing before perfecting but perfection takes time so be patient. It's actually going to take you twice as long because you have to re-learn it all.

Everyone above me has already given some great advice. The only thing I really have to add is you need to focus on NOT doing it your way. Your used to your way bc it worked before--you got all the way to level 4 right? Your body is simply not going to let you change it up so easily b/c now your brain knows better.
Drills drills drills are going to be key for you. And you're really going to have to focus on doing the skills completely differently than you did before. If you throw tucks back then tell your coach "spot me heavy bc I'm about to just jump and pull my hips and not look back at all" and then DON'T --just trust your coach to help you with the skill and force those hips up while you stare at the wall. You really have to start all over in order to get your technique down pat. It's gonna feel awkward. Just don't get frustrated and listen very carefully to your coach!
This is exactly what happened with my cps. My older one was taught by a coach who's motto was just as you said, progress before perfection. Sure she got her back tuck very early and easily but when it was time to progress to her layout and full she basically had no set bc she was so used to just throwing herself back. It made it much harder to learn both because she needed to relearn how to set and although her layout was eventually beautiful, she never quite consistently got that elusive full.
My younger cp was fortunately ignored by this same coach so she started doing privates with someone who was all about perfection before progression. She therefore has a beautiful set for the back tuck, got her layout over the summer rather quickly and is working on her full, and these skills are progressing much easier bc she is starting with proper technique.

Back