All-Star Acl/meniscus Injuries

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 25, 2010
So I just got my ACL reconstruction today. The doctor said that both my lateral and medial meniscus were damaged beyond repair and removed them. Has anyone had this done before? Any chances of me tumbling/stunting again?

No chance I would think. Without meniscus cartilage your knees can't take compression very well. Tumbling is ALL compression and stunting adds a lot of weight to your body and knees (if you're a base).

Praying for you!!! If all else fails, become a coach:) Just because you are injured doesn't mean that your cheer career is over. Stay positive, it will all work out:) god has his plans for you!!

Praying for you!!! If all else fails, become a coach:) Just because you are injured doesn't mean that your cheer career is over. Stay positive, it will all work out:) god has his plans for you!!

Haha well thank you! And I've already become a coach :) Cheering just wasn't enough! :p

Great chance, I tore my medial meniscus and 50% of my lateral and never got it fixed and I am able to stunt and tumble. There is some pain every now and then but as long as you strengthen your knee Im sure you'll be able to make a comeback.

I tore mine and was able to return to cheering. Mine however weren't "beyond repair" as far as I know though! According to my doctor it all depends on the person. My brother and I have both had 2 knee surgeries each. Both times he was able to do a lot more than me and quicker. The dr says I have naturally (& unusually) tight, compact joints, where my brother has normal joints. It just depends on your body and your rehab. Good luck! I feel for you!

So I just got my ACL reconstruction today. The doctor said that both my lateral and medial meniscus were damaged beyond repair and removed them. Has anyone had this done before? Any chances of me tumbling/stunting again?

I did that my freshmen year of high school and cheered just fine until i tore mine again senior year of high school, then i was out for good, the damage was too much. But i had 50% of my meniscus on one side and 1/3 of the other gone along with my ACL out the first time. The only thing I didn't feel comfortable doing after my first surgery was front tumbling because of the pressure I felt in the front of my knee, it felt like something was going to fly out of my knee (later I found out there was a loose screw- ha ha ha- in my knee and that could have given me that feeling, but I tore it again the second time 3 months after having that screw repaired). My story is pretty long and I could go on for days about all the little things, BUT it isn't impossible to come back from some damage. Of course everyone is different, and every situation is a little different, so it just depends.

TAKE YOUR TIME HEALING! Time will go faster than you think! Do all of the stupid things the doctor and PT tell you to do, they help, even if they sound stupid! You need your knees!

I have nothing of substance other than to second what kfans88 said: listen to your doc and therapist and don't rush things. But I am just feeling for you, my oldest blew her knee out her senior year playing basketball and I know how frustrated she was. Her surgery was 31/2 years ago and she now plays intramurals. (with her knee brace on). Take care.

kfans88 I just hate hearing about injuries sidelining young people and keeping them from what they love. Sorry for what you went through.

I have nothing of substance other than to second what kfans88 said: listen to your doc and therapist and don't rush things. But I am just feeling for you, my oldest blew her knee out her senior year playing basketball and I know how frustrated she was. Her surgery was 31/2 years ago and she now plays intramurals. (with her knee brace on). Take care.

kfans88 I just hate hearing about injuries sidelining young people and keeping them from what they love. Sorry for what you went through.

Aww thanks, yea it sucks that everything ended early, it changed my life. But I believe that if I continued cheering as hard as I did and tried cheering in college, I never would've gotten back together with my high school sweetheart and wouldn't be married to him right now. Everything happens for a reason. :)

My daughter tore her ACL, MCL and meniscus in September. The doctor, PT and her Power Tumbling Coach are all confident that she can still cheer and tumble as she did before. The key is your rehab. You have to put in 150%. My daughter goes to PT 3x times a week and she works out with her tumbling coach 2 x week on strengthening and conditioning. At the end of December she will begin running and we go from there; she does not expect to compete this year, her goal is recovery first. My daughter is a level 5 athlete who has won worlds several times and it is hard being out this year, although she doesn't go to every practice, she is at every competition with her team and their #1 sideline cheerleader. Stay positive and focus on recovery. Remember strengthening is the key. Good Luck!!!!!:)

Back