All-Star Acl Tears :(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 14, 2010
i rencently had ACL surgery in September but im on my way back to recovery hopefully starting to stunt in january, but i tore it by not landing all the way around. I cheer for all star one big bang small coed and over the weekend at our comp in wildwood one of our girls didnt make her full all the way around and now she tore her ACL as well :(. From this day forth i will never do a skill by just ripping it or chucking it its not worth it until i know for a fact 100% body and mind that i can do the skill safely
LOVE YOU SHARKEY<3 STAY STRONG!

last year i tore my acl mcl and meniscus from fulls too ; worst feeling EVER being out of cheer , but i tore it a week before tryouts. good thing i wasnt placed on a team when it happened.

i did the same thing, i tore my ACL and meniscus buy landing my full with one leg bent and the other straight and it hyperextended, the worst part is, it was a week before worlds. remember don't try to jump back in too fast, you don't want a re-tear! i hope you and your team mate have great recoveries!

I know this has no relation to the topic.. but people be aware of your thumbs! I broke mine saturdays catching something in the pyrmaid, and now its broken and im in a cast and im out for 6 weeks -.-

@wowitshaliee I tore mine the exact same way as you :(

I had my surgery in August so I'm supposed to be able to tumble again In February
So disappointing!! The first year I could have competed at worlds too

My daughter tore her's the first time doing the same thing. She tore her ACL, meniscus, and sprained her MCL. The worst part was both times she tore it she was on junior 5 and it was right before worlds. The second time she was just doing a front walk over.

these stories are the reason i don't throw my full anymore... i tore my tendon doing a two to full a few years ago and it's never fully healed cause i just keep tumbling on it... i have a couple friends who have torn their acl on fulls or double before too!

An amazing cheerleader at our gym did the same thing (tore her acl doing a full that she has thrown a million times). Is there anything you can do to prevent this from happening? Exercises to strengthen the acl or easy to wear & tumble in braces that protect it? This seems to be way to common.

I see sooooo many talented athletes pulling themselves around in their tumbling and I cringe every time I see it, for fear of tearing their acl or meniscus because I have seen so many great athletes tear theirs by doing just this. I don't think that they realize how easily they can tear something by just twisting their body without their legs/feet, but they should be told. I think it is not worth it to get that skill quicker just to jepordize the health of your knees, and quite possibly give up your chance to tumble/perform for that season and/or Worlds, or worse yet, get an injury that lingers on into adulthood, all because of cheerleading. It's imperative that athletes listen to their tumbling coaches about landing their skills because they call them coaches for a reason.

Tearing your ACL is nothing but a setback, that is setting you up for a comeback. Take advantage of this time to learn more about yourself, but to improve as an individual (inside of the gym, and out). Remember, you are not the only one going through this. Especially among women, the ACL tear is popular; I mean, look at the crazy things we force our body to do.! Coming back to tumbling is all mental. Believe, believe, believe. Do your physical therapy, and make sure to stay positive. The greatest thing about having an injury is using your experience to help others After going through it twice, I can say it's the best thing to have happened to me, as a person. You CAN and WILL come back- don't hold yourself back from this bump in the road.

Tearing your ACL is nothing but a setback, that is setting you up for a comeback. Take advantage of this time to learn more about yourself, but to improve as an individual (inside of the gym, and out). Remember, you are not the only one going through this. Especially among women, the ACL tear is popular; I mean, look at the crazy things we force our body to do.! Coming back to tumbling is all mental. Believe, believe, believe. Do your physical therapy, and make sure to stay positive. The greatest thing about having an injury is using your experience to help others After going through it twice, I can say it's the best thing to have happened to me, as a person. You CAN and WILL come back- don't hold yourself back from this bump in the road.
I completely agree with this. I tore my acl and medial and lateral meniscus from landing short on a full, had my surgery in june and am currently still in rehabilitation. I believe everything happens for a reason and i have learned so much about my self from this. It's so hard to deal with emotionally and physically and there are days that just seem horrible when you know you are unable to do what you used to but it will all work out just stay positive :)

Back