All-Star Acl Tears :(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just tore my ACL & lateral/medial meniscus by coming down on it wrong after colliding in the air during two to fulls... All I can say is... STAY POSITIVE :)

My daughter tore her ACL and meniscus in September doing a whip through to double. She didn't land short she landed on the side of her knee. She had the surgery in late September. She goes to PT 3X per week and she is doing other conditioning with her tumbling coach twice a week. The doctor told us that ACL tears are very common in girls and the key is to strengthen the muscles around the knee. Although it has only been 2 months, you would never guess that she tore hers. She was off her crutches in less than week and out of her brace in less than 3 weeks. Of course the doctor says she will not be allowed to do fulls or double until late April. He has given no timeline on when she can stunt or even start back doing basic tumbling. She is on a level 5 team and has come to terms that competing this year is a long shot. Her goal is to rehab her knee and strengthen so that when she returns next year she won't re-injury herself. It hard for her to watch her team when she knows she can't compete but she is their biggest cheerleader!!!! Although she doesn't go to every practice she is there to support and cheer on her teammates at every competition. Stay positive do the rehab that your doctor prescribed so that you will come back even stronger, but don’t rush it, give your body time to heal; that is what my daughter is doing.:)

i had a friend who tore her ACL/Meniscus doing a round off when she was warming up tumbling! never thought you would get hurt doing that? she's had 2 surgeries since then because the first surgery didn't heal properly I guess.

Tearing your ACL is nothing but a setback, that is setting you up for a comeback. Take advantage of this time to learn more about yourself, but to improve as an individual (inside of the gym, and out). Remember, you are not the only one going through this. Especially among women, the ACL tear is popular; I mean, look at the crazy things we force our body to do.! Coming back to tumbling is all mental. Believe, believe, believe. Do your physical therapy, and make sure to stay positive. The greatest thing about having an injury is using your experience to help others After going through it twice, I can say it's the best thing to have happened to me, as a person. You CAN and WILL come back- don't hold yourself back from this bump in the road.

Thanks you! ima guy by the way lol

& this is why @CAThasCLAWS is the strongest most inspiring person i've ever had the honor of meeting. i've told so many people about her story cause i've never met someone who was able to stay so strong & positive during an injury all while believing, helping others, & bettering herself during recovering. truly the #1 person i look up to in the cheer world :)

Does anyone know is this as common with Elite Women gymnast?

Honestly - and I do not mean this in a snobby way - I do not think you can compare the two. An Elite level gymnast trains different than a Level 5 or 6 cheerleader.

Higher level gymnasts train 12 to 20 hours a week in the gym. Conditioning is not optional or rushed through to hurry up and get to routines or to go home. There are core sets done to warm up on each event before you ever think about throwing one routine. In gyms that have the appropriate equipment (pits, safety mats, spotting belts, etc) spotting is minimized as much as possible. Drills are done over and over before gymnasts are usually allowed to try a skill on their own - and in the stricter gyms you will get put out for just trying it on your own without permission or because mom/dad tell you to.

Spatial Awareness training - knowing how to see where you are in the air, not get lost and maintain body control is taught in every level in gymnastics. This is why they generally in progression train Layout; Layout 1/2, Layout Full, Layout Full 1/2; Layout Double Full. (Notice I put layout emphasizing that they must show a Layout before twisting, not twist from floor to floor in a layout position - much different and the latter is a major reason for ACL injuries on fulls in cheerleading. Additionally having to get a minimum score a certain number of times at sanctioned meets before you are allowed to move up a level also keeps a rein on throwing skills before truly ready.

Mind you none if the above matters if you just chuck skills anyhow and see what happens. I have often said that a gymnast is first trained how to fall, and then how to land (both critical to strengthening and preventing ACL injuries) where most cheerleaders are first trained to do a BHS because they have to have it by tryouts or else. every gym should look at what they can do to strengthen this aspect of their program.

Honestly - and I do not mean this in a snobby way - I do not think you can compare the two. An Elite level gymnast trains different than a Level 5 or 6 cheerleader.

Higher level gymnasts train 12 to 20 hours a week in the gym. Conditioning is not optional or rushed through to hurry up and get to routines or to go home. There are core sets done to warm up on each event before you ever think about throwing one routine. In gyms that have the appropriate equipment (pits, safety mats, spotting belts, etc) spotting is minimized as much as possible. Drills are done over and over before gymnasts are usually allowed to try a skill on their own - and in the stricter gyms you will get put out for just trying it on your own without permission or because mom/dad tell you to.

Spatial Awareness training - knowing how to see where you are in the air, not get lost and maintain body control is taught in every level in gymnastics. This is why they generally in progression train Layout; Layout 1/2, Layout Full, Layout Full 1/2; Layout Double Full. (Notice I put layout emphasizing that they must show a Layout before twisting, not twist from floor to floor in a layout position - much different and the latter is a major reason for ACL injuries on fulls in cheerleading. Additionally having to get a minimum score a certain number of times at sanctioned meets before you are allowed to move up a level also keeps a rein on throwing skills before truly ready.

Mind you none if the above matters if you just chuck skills anyhow and see what happens. I have often said that a gymnast is first trained how to fall, and then how to land (both critical to strengthening and preventing ACL injuries) where most cheerleaders are first trained to do a BHS because they have to have it by tryouts or else. every gym should look at what they can do to strengthen this aspect of their program.
I
was just curious (if it was a less common injury in gymnastics) what they did to prevent these kinds of injuries. You could take this information and incorporate some of the preventative steps into all star cheer programs.

i rencently had ACL surgery in September but im on my way back to recovery hopefully starting to stunt in january, but i tore it by not landing all the way around. I cheer for all star one big bang small coed and over the weekend at our comp in wildwood one of our girls didnt make her full all the way around and now she tore her ACL as well :(. From this day forth i will never do a skill by just ripping it or chucking it its not worth it until i know for a fact 100% body and mind that i can do the skill safely
LOVE YOU SHARKEY<3 STAY STRONG!
Aww Kaitlyn! One of the nicest girls from a rival gym (not as1) I've ever talked to haha :) I'm happy that she is at AS1 now but I feel so bad that she got hurt :(

Last season I tore my Meniscus, and then MCL and have been competing with them torn since. Rehab and knee exercises have helped a ton.

i tore my acl, both my meniscus and my mcl too! it sucks. seriously probably the worst thing thats happened. my sr year too! tomarrow it'll be 15 weeks since surgery though! & im getting my athletic brace fitted dec 1st! im excited to start working back into things, but am sooooo scared of hurting my self again! :(

I
was just curious (if it was a less common injury in gymnastics) what they did to prevent these kinds of injuries. You could take this information and incorporate some of the preventative steps into all star cheer programs.
Injury is very common in gymnastics. Olympic Gymnast Shawn Johnson, Regining World Champion Aliya Mustafina, and I could go have both torn the ACL. I will note that Shawn tore hers walking. Aliya tore her ACL landing a valult.

Back