All-Star Advice To Gym Moms....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a coach...my advice to new cheer moms (or returning ones too)

Let your kids enjoy it. If it's something that they want, they'll work hard for it.

Don't push them harder than they push themselves. All kids work hard, and some get things faster than others, but it all evens out. But I can't tell you how many times I've heard a kid say they HAVE to get something because their mom said so (or dad). Trust me, they want the skill too, but the fear of disappointing you isn't getting them the trick any faster...

Be your kids biggest cheerleader

Don't call because your kid didn't make a certain team, isn't flying point, or is in the back of the routine. You will discredit yourself within seconds of the conversation.

Ask me how your kid is doing. I'll tell you honestly.

Don't bring other kids into a conversation...I'll talk to you about your kid, but that's about it.

Enjoy being able to spend time with your kids...to and from practice, at competitions, travelling. There will be a point in time that you don't get to spend that much time together. Use it. Find out about the goings on in their life...not just about cheer.

Your kids will parrot your beliefs. They will also parrot anything negative or positive they hear you say about the coach, teammates, and gym.

Make friends with people from all over...makes away competitions so much more fun!

Every once in awhile, say something nice to the coach...even if it's just thank you. So often, we only hear the negatives. It's really nice to hear a positive too :)

I've got more hehe...

Don't buy a shirt from every single competition. You'll bankrupt yourself. Only buy something from the big ones.

A lot of times the photo people at a competition offer deals if a certain number of parents purchase. If that's the case, try and get people to go in with you.

Make a scrapbook (or if you're not crafty, a photo album) of you son/daughter's cheer career. It will be special to both of you.

Soffee's and sports bra's are cheaper in the store than they are at the gym. Your kid doesn't need every single optional clothing article (as gym owners around the country shoot darts at me).

If your daughter is a flyer, get them in the habit of wearing spandex under their shorts.

For away competitions, bring your own food for the hotel. Carpool and share rooms if you have the option.

Come say hi to me at competitions.

Lean on other cheer moms, they're the only ones who know exactly what it's like.

I am going to Lisa's (Just Cheer Bows) house tomorrow to help start making this bow. Mamas from north and south Florida will be coming to help. We do not have cheer moms in Florida. We have Cheer mamas.

I want anyone who wants to order this bow to order it now. Why? Because Omar's family needs help with funeral expenses. Do not delay. 100% of the proceeds will go to Omar's family.

This is very rough, but this is the bow. It will be the following design in rhinestones on Top Gun gold. If you have trouble viewing, it is Omar's name with angel wings and a halo. $15.00 plus $2.50 shipping.

omarbow.jpg

For that matter if you want a Top Gun shirt in honor of Omar and Carlos, please order the "Fallen Angels" t-shirt now. It's $25 plus shipping and proceeds go to their families.
Top Gun All Stars Online Pro Shop

If you want to make a straight out donation, this is from Cory Hinz at Top Gun:
If you would like to send it through pay pal, I have set up an account ([email protected]). Please add as "gift" (no charges will be applied as "gift"). Also, add your INFORMATION under NOTES. All donations will be given to Omar's family on Thursday.

I am not doing this with any permission from anyone. I am just a crazy cheermama.

I have been on the Fierceboard for a long time. Pro X before that. Don't dilly dally and say I want it and expect it to happen! ACEDAD and many people can vouch for me.

Just click on the link and order the darned things! Don't ask about shipping, just read the links.

I did not know Carlos, but I know many hearts were breaking for him. I did know Omar by his smiling face and jaunty personality around the gym. These boys were their mama's children. I cannot say that I was a close family friend or anything like that. BUT, Omar's family was so gracious and kind last night . They shared their most private moments with their son to help the athletes and families at Top Gun to spend all the time they needed with Omar and say goodbye. I have never experienced such a heart rending experience.

As a coach...my advice to new cheer moms (or returning ones too)

Let your kids enjoy it. If it's something that they want, they'll work hard for it.

Don't push them harder than they push themselves. All kids work hard, and some get things faster than others, but it all evens out. But I can't tell you how many times I've heard a kid say they HAVE to get something because their mom said so (or dad). Trust me, they want the skill too, but the fear of disappointing you isn't getting them the trick any faster...

Be your kids biggest cheerleader

Enjoy being able to spend time with your kids...to and from practice, at competitions, travelling. There will be a point in time that you don't get to spend that much time together. Use it. Find out about the goings on in their life...not just about cheer.

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was trying to say....gazillion shimmies!

Coming from a coach who has yet to be a mommy, but who has a great one:

-There is a huge difference between being encouraging and overbearing. Encouraging is "Come on honey, you've got this" when the child is nervous: overbearing is "Come on, just do it already, I wanna see you do _______." It scares the bajesus out of me when I see parents encouraging kids to throw standing tucks when I know for a fact that Suzie doesn't have it. It also puts me in an awkward situation when I have to tell you in front of your child that she could get really hurt because she's just not ready yet.

-Be in the gym, at least a few times a month if your gym allows it. Every practice can get boring, but at least stop in to see your kid's progress. There are kids in my gym that are getting skills that their parents will probably only see once or twice on the competition mat, even if that.

-Be that parent that goes absofrickenloutely bananas while her kid is performing. Make signs, get cowbells, start that gym chant, beat on the stage. It kills me to see programs where the kids are sick talented and the parents golf clap to the beat the whole routine.

-Your cheerleader is NEVER too old for you to stop going to her competitions. Share a hotel room. Turn it into a mother daughter weekend. My mom and I spend every competition together. We souvenir shop together and sit and watch all the teams. We take notes on all of them and bet on how they'll rank. It's her chance to be totally involved in my passion. We're going to Worlds together next year and someday she'll co-own my program. My point being, no matter what your teenager says, they will never regret the fact that you were there to see them perform.

-There is a huge difference between being encouraging and overbearing. Encouraging is "Come on honey, you've got this" when the child is nervous: overbearing is "Come on, just do it already, I wanna see you do _______." It scares the bajesus out of me when I see parents encouraging kids to throw standing tucks when I know for a fact that Suzie doesn't have it. It also puts me in an awkward situation when I have to tell you in front of your child that she could get really hurt because she's just not ready yet.

-Be in the gym, at least a few times a month if your gym allows it. Every practice can get boring, but at least stop in to see your kid's progress. There are kids in my gym that are getting skills that their parents will probably only see once or twice on the competition mat, even if that.

-Be that parent that goes absofrickenloutely bananas while her kid is performing. Make signs, get cowbells, start that gym chant, beat on the stage. It kills me to see programs where the kids are sick talented and the parents golf clap to the beat the whole routine.

-Your cheerleader is NEVER too old for you to stop going to her competitions. Share a hotel room. Turn it into a mother daughter weekend. My mom and I spend every competition together. We souvenir shop together and sit and watch all the teams. We take notes on all of them and bet on how they'll rank. It's her chance to be totally involved in my passion. We're going to Worlds together next year and someday she'll co-own my program. My point being, no matter what your teenager says, they will never regret the fact that you were there to see them perform.

I really love your post - a shimmy just wasn't enough.

I've got more hehe...

Don't buy a shirt from every single competition. You'll bankrupt yourself. Only buy something from the big ones.

A lot of times the photo people at a competition offer deals if a certain number of parents purchase. If that's the case, try and get people to go in with you.

Make a scrapbook (or if you're not crafty, a photo album) of you son/daughter's cheer career. It will be special to both of you.

Soffee's and sports bra's are cheaper in the store than they are at the gym. Your kid doesn't need every single optional clothing article (as gym owners around the country shoot darts at me).

If your daughter is a flyer, get them in the habit of wearing spandex under their shorts.

For away competitions, bring your own food for the hotel. Carpool and share rooms if you have the option.

Come say hi to me at competitions.

Lean on other cheer moms, they're the only ones who know exactly what it's like.
Amen to buying shirts from every comp. cheersport is all we buy from...maybe UCA since this will be our first time there.

And might I suggest mixbook.com for the scrap book. Digital baby! I make a family yearbook every year and one for our vacations....great keepsakes and family Christmas gifts!

You'd like our flight crew...we patented absolutelyfrickinbananas! I'm loving that term by the way.

As a CP, my mom has always been a reserved parent just by her personality. She was the type who made friends and went to Sunday dinner with then, ran errands, brought a kindle and still could tell about my placement in a routine and how I was doing.

I love that my mom cares about how I am doing in cheer (school too) and pu shes me. Not to be the best overall (although by nature I strive to be number one) but personally like moving up a level or skill. She compares me to friends because she knows I already do it and simply they're better. That's how the world works. She prasies me for my strength and advises me how to be better with a little in car coaching ;)

She pushes me to stay tighter or throw a skill because she believes in me not for any one else. My advice is to communicate with your CP about everything. It helped my mom make majors decisions like speaking to our owner when I was being held back a level and getting information to help me improve to our gym change. Ultimately its up to us as a CP to decide our path in this world and parent to advocate and encourage is key.

Back