All-Star Advice To Gym Moms....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I respect that in accordance w/your above post regarding pushing your kids to the best of their ability. I agree with it, but if my daughter for some reason isn't able to achieve "the" maximum potential in this sport and it has nothing to do w/her being lazy, undisciplined, etc., then I'm ok with that..as long as she always gives 100 percent (which at her age she's still working on ;)) and will not take away from any achievements she does make. Just like you, I won't discourage her from continuing to try to achieve a goal she wants, even if I don't personally think it will happen. Courtney's post a few weeks back regarding her dream as a child and her parents never taking it away from her (despite the fact that they knew she probably wasn't going to be an Olympic gymnast) really resonated with me. I want my little doodlebug to dream as big as she wants and to never take that away from her.....bc for all I know, she very well could be an astronaut, etc. :)

I completely agree. Being your absolute best has nothing to do with what level you attain. I don't want anyone to think that's what I'm saying. I know kids who have worked harder than any level 5 athlete I know just to get their round off handspring tuck. What my opinion is as far as pushing your child to the best of their ability/comparing them to other athletes...you have to keep it in perspective of what their potential is.

Goodness... I am shocked I didn't recognize animosity between any posters??? Like for real. :confused: If my opinion offended I apologize and can I add just one more thing? This has turned into a dumb thread. :tsnuami: just cause I have always wanted to use this emoticon

Goodness... I am shocked I didn't recognize animosity between any posters??? Like for real. :confused: If my opinion offended I apologize and can I add just one more thing? This has turned into a dumb thread. :tsnuami: just cause I have always wanted to use this emoticon

You are so right! We are all Moms just trying to raise our kids the best we know how. Maybe we can all get back to the advice.

I completely agree. Being your absolute best has nothing to do with what level you attain. I don't want anyone to think that's what I'm saying. I know kids who have worked harder than any level 5 athlete I know just to get their round off handspring tuck. What my opinion is as far as pushing your child to the best of their ability/comparing them to other athletes...you have to keep it in perspective of what their potential is.
Oh I didn't think that was what you were saying, that's why I liked your response I quoted. :)

Totally agree with this. That's the only expectation I've ever had for my kids....I dont care if all you have is a fierce forward roll....as long as you're giving me 100% every time you're on the mat, I'm good. That's how I feel about team mates too. Some people get dramatic over who should and shouldn't be on a team but a) I trust the coaches to know what they're doing and b) if that person doesn't have the tumbling for that level but they're in that gym busting the tail to get it 24/7 Id rather have that kid on the team than the one who has every specialty pass for that level and never bothers to put in one iota more than the basic practice schedule...regardless of level.

My mom doesn't do this, but to the parents who stay and watch their children, it is very distracting when I know I have at least 50 moms crowded around the glass watching practice. I feel like the main attraction at a zoo and all of the little kids are practically on top of each other trying to see. Go home, read a book, go out to dinner, blink, but do something other than stare with wide eyes into the gym.
I love to hear that kids feel the same way I do. I don't want to be there but when my daughter sees half the other moms there she wants me to be there too. I go home or to the store.

Since this thread has popped back up again, I'd like to bring up a recent (scary) trend I've been noticing: Parents spotting their children at home. Recent conversation:

Me: Ok Suzie, that was better but next time I really want you to get your hips up and snap down harder
Suzie: But when my mom spots me at home...
FREEZE
What? Your mom spots you at home. Last time I checked your mom was a nurse, or accountant, or high school science teacher, not a cheerleading coach, gymnastics coach, athletic trainer or anyone AT ALL qualified to teach dangerous skills like standing BHS or even standing tuck.

Please for the love of the cheer Lords in heaven, don't spot your kids at home

Since this thread has popped back up again, I'd like to bring up a recent (scary) trend I've been noticing: Parents spotting their children at home. Recent conversation:

Me: Ok Suzie, that was better but next time I really want you to get your hips up and snap down harder
Suzie: But when my mom spots me at home...
FREEZE
What? Your mom spots you at home. Last time I checked your mom was a nurse, or accountant, or high school science teacher, not a cheerleading coach, gymnastics coach, athletic trainer or anyone AT ALL qualified to teach dangerous skills like standing BHS or even standing tuck.

Please for the love of the cheer Lords in heaven, don't spot your kids at home

I'll admit, I spot at home. BUT, only on a skill I KNOW my CP has, and just needs that "phantom hand" there. Now, I surely can accept fault for providing the "phantom hand" spot, but if CP asks and wants to practice, I'll help.

I would never spot a new skill, nor do I ever give any advice.

I'll admit, I spot at home. BUT, only on a skill I KNOW my CP has, and just needs that "phantom hand" there. Now, I surely can accept fault for providing the "phantom hand" spot, but if CP asks and wants to practice, I'll help.

I would never spot a new skill, nor do I ever give any advice.
I totally agree with that, the "just put your finger there one more time" spot. But I'm spotting these kids on the medium side. Totally not ready to do it by themselves

Be supportive. Period. That means that you, as a parent, need to be whatever your child needs. That might be a shoulder to cry on when she's frustrated with skills, and it might be someone to celebrate every victory with them- even if it's finally getting that backwalkover or elevator cradle. Do not compare your child to other kids and their progress, because you know what, they're all different. Kids want to please their coaches and their parents- make sure that you are there to support them no matter what. Be their biggest cheerleader, and cheer will always be a blast for them.
Preach.

I just think that you should push your CPs, but NEVER belittle them. If CP is having a mental block, dont be like, "SUZIE. YOU MUST THROW YOUR TUCK. YOU ARE DISHONORING OUR FAMILY!" Tell her, "I know you're scared and upset, and it's okay to be scared. But remember, you are only limited by your own fears and inaction. Don't hold back. You can do it, so believe in yourself, I know you'll succeed." Also, you can stick up for your kid if she is being penalized unfairly by the coach. Just don't do anything that will affect your CP.

I love to hear that kids feel the same way I do. I don't want to be there but when my daughter sees half the other moms there she wants me to be there too. I go home or to the store.

I've gone through my mom watching me practice years ago. I drive myself so and don't necessarily need to have her there watching anymore for her to show her support, but some parents bring their lawn chairs and sit IN the gym by our little work out area and just watch. That's just pushing it. You can sit and watch, but don't have these big wide eyes and just stare at us.

I totally agree with that, the "just put your finger there one more time" spot. But I'm spotting these kids on the medium side. Totally not ready to do it by themselves

Yeah, that's different! I can't imagine spotting CP on a skill that she is just learning. eek!

Wow!! As a parent, you have to entrust that your child will be well taken care of while you are either there watching or not watching your child practice! If you don't trust the coaches then maybe you are not at the right gym! Yes, kids will get hurt at some point in time, its cheerleading, but as a parent, you have to trust that the safety of your child is what counts and what is put first! If you don't think you can trust your child, or the coaches then maybe cheerleading isn't for your child! Try bowling or chess...

Back