All-Star After The Rings Globes And Titles Then What?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Uproar. Oh what will Suzy's mom do. One of my problems is its like 3 members of the team get a promotion when there's like 17-33 other people [emoji52]

Instagram /twitter really has changed a lot in this world. When I started cheer my only access to good teams were videos on varsity. I didn't know who a single person on every team was. Didn't know the politics. But seeing this little kid pages dedicated to cheer and promoting practice wear and hairspray I'm so confused. It's not just the world's ring their chasing( which I don't mind if it's the realm of your possibility) it's the attention. The notoriety.

Yes.

When I was actively cheering, we didn't have any of the above things.

I knew I loved (example) UK Cheer but I couldn't name people on a team.

Now there are kids who can not only tell you who (for example) the point flyer on Senior Elite is, but:

*What grade she's in.
*What school she goes to.
*What street she lives on.
*Who her best friend is.
*What kind of car she drives.
*What brand of hairspray she uses on comp day.

Too much.

@notimeforthat I drive too! My oldest CP is very happy as a level 4 at our local small gym. My youngest CP although quiet, is very competitive, driven, and goal oriented. So, I drive over 1 1/2 hours one ways for her to be at the gym she loves. Driving to a local gym and an out of town gym can be crazy at times, but it works for us.

In the end, you should do what works for your family. Period.

All Star is competitive cheerleading, winning is a huge part of it. No one wants to be on a crappy team that comes in last place all the time. If your child doesn't care if they win or lose than they should be doing rec or school cheer.

CP's previous gym lost all the time, even if they hit, coaches goofed off and played games during practice instead of actually practicing. CP didn't want that and asked to go to current gym. We pass 5 other all star gyms on the way to our current gym. Why? Because she wants to be the best that she can be, work hard, have fun and actually win once in a while. What is so wrong with that? It's not for everyone. We had a girl last year come down with us, she did one practice and said it was too hard and never returned.

As a parent, I don't want to pay $8K a year for a crappy product. I don't want or expect my kids teams to win every time, that would be boring. But for the amount of money I pay I expect for her to learn, progress, have fun and if they hit place somewhere decent (top 3/5/10 depending on how many teams in division).

What's wrong with having a goal to win NCA or globe at worlds?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. My problem is when it is the goal for ONE team, at the expense of the others in the gym. Levels 1-2 especially tend to get shortchanged in favor of the prima donna team in the gym. 1 and 2 don't get outside choero, but they fly in some uber cheeerlebrity at a ridiculous price for level 5, 1 and 2 get cheap t shirts while 3 and up gets fancy practice wear, 1-2 get the young, inexperienced coaches, ect. Making the WHOLE GYM the best is can be is great, but focusing only on "top tier" kids is shortsighted IMO.

We have been in the situation where we lost even with a hit, it isn't fun. Neither is winning in a field of 10 plus and not being recognized for it because it was "only" a level 2 team. Level 5 finishing 3rd of 5 is more impressive. I am all for pushing kids to do their best, but that needs to go for ALL kids, not just the ones you are currently grooming for worlds.

All Star is competitive cheerleading, winning is a huge part of it. No one wants to be on a crappy team that comes in last place all the time. If your child doesn't care if they win or lose than they should be doing rec or school cheer.

CP's previous gym lost all the time, even if they hit, coaches goofed off and played games during practice instead of actually practicing. CP didn't want that and asked to go to current gym. We pass 5 other all star gyms on the way to our current gym. Why? Because she wants to be the best that she can be, work hard, have fun and actually win once in a while. What is so wrong with that? It's not for everyone. We had a girl last year come down with us, she did one practice and said it was too hard and never returned.

As a parent, I don't want to pay $8K a year for a crappy product. I don't want or expect my kids teams to win every time, that would be boring. But for the amount of money I pay I expect for her to learn, progress, have fun and if they hit place somewhere decent (top 3/5/10 depending on how many teams in division).

What's wrong with having a goal to win NCA or globe at worlds?

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to win and be challenged.

I have the same attitude re: my son and soccer. He is young, and sports should be fun at his age, but we can play "duck duck goose" and pick grass at home for free. I expect a level of structure with any activity I'm paying for him to be in.

It's the "tunnel vision" on winning and such that concerns me (and kids thinking they've failed at cheer if they don't have a globe or ring by high school.)

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to win and be challenged.

I have the same attitude re: my son and soccer. He is young, and sports should be fun at his age, but we can play "duck duck goose" and pick grass at home for free. I expect a level of structure with any activity I'm paying for him to be in.

It's the "tunnel vision" on winning and such that concerns me (and kids thinking they've failed at cheer if they don't have a globe or ring by high school.)

This is exactly my point. We went to Summit last year and ended up in third place. It was very disappointing because we were in first after day one and we had the routine to win. We simply did not perform as well as the other teams. There were parents up in arms because we SHOULD have won. The problem is that the kids see this and assume that third isn't good enough. It only matters if you get the ring. As far as I am concerned, third out of the country is really really good. Now if the gym didn't give them a winning routine or if they had kids on the team that weren't capable of performing, then it would upset me because you aren't setting them up to succeed.

This is exactly my point. We went to Summit last year and ended up in third place. It was very disappointing because we were in first after day one and we had the routine to win. We simply did not perform as well as the other teams. There were parents up in arms because we SHOULD have won. The problem is that the kids see this and assume that third isn't good enough. It only matters if you get the ring. As far as I am concerned, third out of the country is really really good. Now if the gym didn't give them a winning routine or if they had kids on the team that weren't capable of performing, then it would upset me because you aren't setting them up to succeed.
I find it interesting that attitudes toward winning on both ends of the spectrum are due to adult hang-ups being placed on children's activities.

If I were a gym owner... only thing I'd do is remind any and all crazy parents to not let the hit 'em where the good Lord done split 'em.

Oh Happy Day. When Susie's Mom walked.

@mybabywantstotumble are you implying that if a program is not aiming for Worlds or Summit, that they are just not competitive and have no goals? That someone should leave allstar for school or rec if they don't want a Summit, NCA or Worlds title?

Not at all. Not everyone's goal is to get to Worlds. I have no issue with smaller programs that compete locally. I think it's a great option for kids whose goals aren't to win NCA/UCA/Worlds whatever. But if an athlete doesn't want to win then why be involved with a competitive sport.

Not at all. Not everyone's goal is to get to Worlds. I have no issue with smaller programs that compete locally. I think it's a great option for kids whose goals aren't to win NCA/UCA/Worlds whatever. But if an athlete doesn't want to win then why be involved with a competitive sport.
That I can definitely agree with. Having a person like that on any team drags everyone else down.

No ring, medal or jacket will ever compare to the feeling of walking onto the mat in the Milkhouse for finals at Summit 2014- what would be my very last competition of my Senior year; last time ever stepping foot onto a cheer mat- and seeing @stuntjumptumble -who was also about to step on that mat for her very last Senior year performance- and her team, next to the stage to watch and cheer us on. A memory that didn't end in a ring or jacket, but just that- a memory. An awesome one, that I'll never forget.
This sport is so much more than a jacket or ring. It's about an entire childhood worth of memories that you'll have for the rest of your life. Not everybody reaches level 5. And that's OKAY. I graduated off of Senior 4 & R5 teams, and that was just OKAY! I wasn't upset or defeated that I ended my career at the Summit. I was proud. Proud of where I'd been, and where I ended.
Stop and smell the roses. Cheer isn't forever, so enjoy it now. Make memories, don't just chase titles. And yes, titles are a big part of a competitive sport, I get that. And of course I've had my share of titles that I am proud to hold, but at the end of you/your child's career, are you going to cherish that one time you won a jacket in XYZ town more than the memories you've made with the people that will be in your wedding one day? Think about it.

Expanding on this, not really disagreeing. But I take issue with gyms/parents/athletes that go to either end of the spectrum. I make a distinction between being competitive and just winning. To me being competitive also includes the challenge and growth aspects of the sport, not just the win. There are tons of competitive routines every year that don't win, but that are fantastic for other reasons. Some kids really do just like to compete. Granted, they want to feel they have a chance to win, or at least do well, which sometimes translates into going to smaller competitions, or using Small Gym divisions, or whatever. I hate it when gyms put their teams into situations they are not ready for. But I also dislike it when programs continually choose competitions or divisions based on the fact that they know already that they will win... This detracts from the competitive part of the sport as well.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. My problem is when it is the goal for ONE team, at the expense of the others in the gym. Levels 1-2 especially tend to get shortchanged in favor of the prima donna team in the gym. 1 and 2 don't get outside choero, but they fly in some uber cheeerlebrity at a ridiculous price for level 5, 1 and 2 get cheap t shirts while 3 and up gets fancy practice wear, 1-2 get the young, inexperienced coaches, ect. Making the WHOLE GYM the best is can be is great, but focusing only on "top tier" kids is shortsighted IMO.

We have been in the situation where we lost even with a hit, it isn't fun. Neither is winning in a field of 10 plus and not being recognized for it because it was "only" a level 2 team. Level 5 finishing 3rd of 5 is more impressive. I am all for pushing kids to do their best, but that needs to go for ALL kids, not just the ones you are currently grooming for worlds.

That is totally unacceptable and if my kids program only focused on ONE team and only celebrated one teams wins then that would not be the program for me. So many forget that the lower levels are the future of the program and need the same amount of attention.

Regarding choreo, outfits - does your gym charge the same amount for level 1 in house choreo as it does for level 5 choreo? Who is paying for the outfits? The parents or the gym? Our worlds team gets team specific practice wear - parents pay for it - and I'm fine with it, when my CP makes that team she can have it too - something for her to look forward to. I will sit back and enjoy my little bit of extra money while I can.

Well, y'all are better than me. I'm really competitive, always have been since I was little. It's true that cheer has so many other aspects, but if I didn't want to win, I would have done softball because I can't hit/pitch/catch a ball to save my life.

I find it interesting that attitudes toward winning on both ends of the spectrum are due to adult hang-ups being placed on children's activities.

I disagree, you can't blame everything on the parents. There are def crazy ones and they are currently creeping out of every whole and crevice in my life right now. My CP has friends who are super ultra like crazy competitive and get upset when they lose but the parents are super chill. It's just the kids personality.

If I had my choice my daughter wouldn't cheer, but she loves it so I support her. Whatever.

No ring, medal or jacket will ever compare to the feeling of walking onto the mat in the Milkhouse for finals at Summit 2014- what would be my very last competition of my Senior year; last time ever stepping foot onto a cheer mat- and seeing @stuntjumptumble -who was also about to step on that mat for her very last Senior year performance- and her team, next to the stage to watch and cheer us on. A memory that didn't end in a ring or jacket, but just that- a memory. An awesome one, that I'll never forget.
This sport is so much more than a jacket or ring. It's about an entire childhood worth of memories that you'll have for the rest of your life. Not everybody reaches level 5. And that's OKAY. I graduated off of Senior 4 & R5 teams, and that was just OKAY! I wasn't upset or defeated that I ended my career at the Summit. I was proud. Proud of where I'd been, and where I ended.
Stop and smell the roses. Cheer isn't forever, so enjoy it now. Make memories, don't just chase titles. And yes, titles are a big part of a competitive sport, I get that. And of course I've had my share of titles that I am proud to hold, but at the end of you/your child's career, are you going to cherish that one time you won a jacket in XYZ town more than the memories you've made with the people that will be in your wedding one day? Think about it.
Okay now I'm gonna cry-miss that so much

Back