All-Star All-levels Winners Flying On The Left?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheerleaders are always "right"

Haha sorry I couldn't resist!

I just think it looks weird I guess I'm just used to seeing flyers on the right leg. But, if you are going to fly on the left leg please twist to the right, it just looks really awkward when they twist to the left. The flyers drop the leg before they twist and it doesn't look pretty.

I just think it looks weird I guess I'm just used to seeing flyers on the right leg. But, if you are going to fly on the left leg please twist to the right, it just looks really awkward when they twist to the left. The flyers drop the leg before they twist and it doesn't look pretty.
definitely agree.

I'm pretty sure everyone twists to the left? We fly on our right, full-up to the right, but twist to the left?

There is a good reason to twist cradle to the left... for co-ed stunting anyway.

After the pop the base turns to his right to make the cradle catch. With the flyer twisting left she naturally comes 'into' his body, rather than rolling away, on the catch. This is just easier (and safer) to catch.

Of course, if you're standing on the opposite (left) foot and the base is turning to the left to catch the twist cradle, it is better for the flyer to twist to the right on the dismount.

Mind you, if you have two (or even 3) catchers for the cradle (the main base, side and head) then whichever way you twist becomes irrelevant.

I try and teach co-ed flyers (and their bases) to start stunting on their left as early as possible rather than waiting for years and years until they have perfected all their skills on the right. This way switching legs and flying on the opposite (note: I never call it the wrong leg as I feel that there is nothing at all 'wrong' about standing on the left or holding the stunt with the left arm) side for pyramids or formation purposes is more easily managed.

I believe that you should push to expand your skill set in every direction possible. One of the things that REALLY irks me is the flyer/base (base group) that can't work with anyone else! I do understand that to reach the highest level of difficulty you do need to work with a primary partner that you trust and is at your level, but, you should be able to master all of the basic skills and be able to perform them with anyone else who has also mastered them. As an example: for a co-ed level 6 team I expect all the bases should be able to do a toss extended stunt, hold liberties, arabesques, scales and scorpions and double down from them with all of the flyers on the team. Move to some of the more advanced skills (rewinds, full-ups, etc.) and you should still be able to hit them with about half the girls on the team who can do those skills.

Back when Warriors were unlimited coed and Haley Imel (2005-2007) was on it she still did baskets the opposite way. I remember she ever doubled right out of a left bow and arrow. I always thought it was weird to watch because we were not used to it.

I don't think its wrong in any sort. Crimson Heat has flew on their left leg for many many years and still manage to do well at competitions. I don't think it should be illegal, the judges doesn't score points on what leg you stand on, they score on what body positions you pull in the air. JMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kA8KAuWS4I 2009-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ckql4qje1Q&feature=related 2008-2009

I love Crimson Heat just as much as the next person, but now their Level 5 team flies right, so I would assume the rest of the program will finally catch up:) In terms of judging, to me it should be considered under your technique score lol

Doesn't it score better if you twist while still in an arabesque as apposed to putting your foot down?

CP uses both, but not the way you think... she pulls stretches and bows using her left leg as her support. She does arabesques, scorps, and scales with the right leg as her support leg. She does full downs twisting left, but hasn't tried full downs from one leg, only two.

Back