Allowing Injured Athletes To Compete - Worlds 2014

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've been thinking about this. At first I was thinking wow, what BABs! They are tough!

But then I thought wait, I'm not so sure about this. Take the BAB with the one handed elite lib section. She's clearly insanely talented, as are her stunt group. The faith that her flier, back and co base have is insane. Their stunting is clearly solid and it's not likely that something would go adrift.

BUT, if something did go wrong, say the other base fainted, or another stunt crashed into theirs and the flier shot down on her side. Then what? If she can't use that hand then either she throws her other side under the flier, which is pretty risky, she uses her injured hand which is unlikely to assist much and will cause further injury, or the flier falls.

I'm coming down on the side of cheer being risky enough without starting at a disadvantage. A low key sprain is one thing, I've competed on an elephant ankle and the pain kind of dulls after a while. Serious injury rendering a limb out of action and I'm not so sure.

Likewise with concussions. The girl who faceplanted the floor yesterday came back on. Was she seriously safe? If she'd blacked out in the air we'd have had serious trouble.

Sometimes when I'm watching worlds as we get more and more synchro tumbling, dodgy doubles, crazy flyovers in the pyramid etc I feel like it's only a matter of time until someone dies on the competition floor and the whole thing gets shut down.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I've been thinking about this. At first I was thinking wow, what BABs! They are tough!

But then I thought wait, I'm not so sure about this. Take the BAB with the one handed elite lib section. She's clearly insanely talented, as are her stunt group. The faith that her flier, back and co base have is insane. Their stunting is clearly solid and it's not likely that something would go adrift.

BUT, if something did go wrong, say the other base fainted, or another stunt crashed into theirs and the flier shot down on her side. Then what? If she can't use that hand then either she throws her other side under the flier, which is pretty risky, she uses her injured hand which is unlikely to assist much and will cause further injury, or the flier falls.

I'm coming down on the side of cheer being risky enough without starting at a disadvantage. A low key sprain is one thing, I've competed on an elephant ankle and the pain kind of dulls after a while. Serious injury rendering a limb out of action and I'm not so sure.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone ||
Androi

I deleted the end of your post since this is the part that I am referring too. This brought up am interesting thought for me. I'm not sure which thread it was, but I remember seeing a video of a girl who only had one arm tumbling. Would you say that she shouldn't be allowed to stunt because she is at a disadvantage? I'm really not trying to put words in your mouth. It's just an interesting point to bring up for the sake of discussion.

Hmm that is interesting and I'm not sure about that. I think I say yes, she can. She's only got one arm always, in all aspects of life, so her brain will be wired to adapt. Her instincts will be different. It's different from a temporary injury. Also, she's not going to put out her injured arm and have it not work as expected and a flier fall through.

I deleted the end of your post since this is the part that I am referring too. This brought up am interesting thought for me. I'm not sure which thread it was, but I remember seeing a video of a girl who only had one arm tumbling. Would you say that she shouldn't be allowed to stunt because she is at a disadvantage? I'm really not trying to put words in your mouth. It's just an interesting point to bring up for the sake of discussion.

I've seen that! As far as stunting goes, I think she flies, but don't quote me!

Back