High School Am I The Only That's Happy About The Improvement In School Cheer???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2014
When I was in high school and middle school, it seemed as if school cheerleading wasn't taken very seriously at all. There weren't many members on the teams we had in my town . Other towns, it may be different. Especially for bigger town/cites. The reason why I'm so happy, is because school cheerleading over the past few years has been recognized as an official sport in many states throughout America. I think people are finally starting to see the seriousness of cheerleading for some reason. Many school teams also seem to be getting bigger for many school programs. Especially with schools that have high quality cheerleading standards. Such as Dunbar High School, Washington DC.
Not to mention, schools in my opinion, and from what I see, are starting to take more precaution in making sure that our cheerleaders have actual certified coaches. Not just Parent volunteers or school teacher sponsors who knows nothing about the sport. Even if the certification is just CPR-First Aid training, its still a step up from what schools used to do. Cheerleading.com offical Facebook page, listed many schools over the summer, including college teams, that has now been enlisted as an official sport of the school
Many of us cheerleaders or Cheer Fans, think that its cool that we're listed as girls most "dangerous" sport because we have the most injuries in a year. But that's not really cool at all. Here's why, we used to not have certified coaches for school cheer. If the school can't take out the time to find certified coaches, that means they don't care enough about the program to make sure that we are 100% safe. But yet, they can do it to any other sport. Especially football. That makes the sport uncool. So the point of me writing and starting thread, is because I want to hear others opinions about the changes in your program, are you happy with those chances, if not, what do you think they can do better,and what is the main issue??

I'm very pleased with my district change in the cheerleading industry. Almost every middle school, or high school in my area, have a certified coach. Even if its just CPR and First Aid. To me, that's better then nothing. That's still showing that you care about our safety some what. I honestly think that's a step up for many programs in the specific city I live in. Another change that I like, is that if a coach has to quit, or get fired what ever reason, we don't have a program for the season until the school finds a certified coach. Thank goodness, that hasn't happened yet, from what I heard. But I just can't get over how much of amazing step up that is! :) :)
What about you guys??

I am not sure where you live, but there are some states where school cheer has always been a "serious" activity with talent and coaching that rivals all star programs.

Example: YouTube state champ teams from Illinois, Texas, and Kentucky. Far from unsafe and not taken seriously!

] Such as Dunbar High School, Washington DC.

Dunbar in Kentucky, not DC. The DC school is a different thing.

I think that quality of cheer teams is in the coach, and the Athletic director. My HS team had a cheer team that was very talented, but we had a lot of unsafe practices until our AD got wind of it, and was able to get us a new coach, and good equipment. And to be honest, I think many athletes don't know the rules of their sport, I had girls on my team not understand the dangers of basket on basketball courts or other basic skills being illegal.

Coaches at our schools don't get paid at the end of the season if they aren't CPR certified. This goes for all sports. So I think that is something that is required across the board, not just for cheer. Which is good of course.

I only know bc I coached 7th grade volleyball a few years ago and when the season was over I waited and waited for my check. THEN the ad told me I had to get my certification AFTEr the season to get paid. I was really mad bc no one told me before. But then again I didn't decide to coach till the day before the season started. Lol.

You cannot coach a sport in my district without CPR cert.

Everyone in the building who has contact with kids has to have it (teachers, aides, guidance, etc.)

Heck, you can't even set foot in the building as a CAFETERIA WORKER or CUSTODIAN without it.
Same here.

For our school you aren't allowed to coach unless you are certified to like out coach had to go though different classes with how to teach stunts and other medical like classes.

You cannot coach a sport in my district without CPR cert.

Everyone in the building who has contact with kids has to have it (teachers, aides, guidance, etc.)

Heck, you can't even set foot in the building as a CAFETERIA WORKER or CUSTODIAN without it.

In New Jersey, not only does everyone that come in contact with a child needs to have it, every student starting with the Class of 2018 needs to have it. My school is certifying everyone in every grade despite if you already have it or not.

In New Jersey, not only does everyone that come in contact with a child needs to have it, every student starting with the Class of 2018 needs to have it. My school is certifying everyone in every grade despite if you already have it or not.
I wish our school district had something like that :(

Well missouri is still kind of struggling over here. We did finally get our AD to listen last year (well, we got a new AD who actually listened is more like it) and got a good coach who actually knows what she's talking about. I no longer have to explain to the coach what is illegal. :cool: however we still aren't taken all that seriously and don't get the same treatment as other sports, as much as our AD says he tries. According to him our budget is $800, and the lowest of any program in the district (program, not sport, so that includes band, choir, etc). Our treatment has been better this year, but cheer's still kind of behind statewide (a reform of the state organization that runs our comps would be good). It's funny bc we're surrounded by Oklahoma, Kentucky, Illinois.... And then there's us.
I will say I've noticed a significant difference at comps from my sophomore year to my senior year. It used to be that everyone was doing preps or 2 foot extension at regionals, and we were hot stuff bc we could do a straight up lib. Now I'd say the majority of the teams had libs or at least extension full downs at regionals - and that's only in July! Not sure what other regionals look like but that's just been my experience, which is a positive sign for cheer here!

Well missouri is still kind of struggling over here. We did finally get our AD to listen last year (well, we got a new AD who actually listened is more like it) and got a good coach who actually knows what she's talking about. I no longer have to explain to the coach what is illegal. :cool: however we still aren't taken all that seriously and don't get the same treatment as other sports, as much as our AD says he tries. According to him our budget is $800, and the lowest of any program in the district (program, not sport, so that includes band, choir, etc). Our treatment has been better this year, but cheer's still kind of behind statewide (a reform of the state organization that runs our comps would be good). It's funny bc we're surrounded by Oklahoma, Kentucky, Illinois.... And then there's us.
I will say I've noticed a significant difference at comps from my sophomore year to my senior year. It used to be that everyone was doing preps or 2 foot extension at regionals, and we were hot stuff bc we could do a straight up lib. Now I'd say the majority of the teams had libs or at least extension full downs at regionals - and that's only in July! Not sure what other regionals look like but that's just been my experience, which is a positive sign for cheer here!
That's true. But I still think over the years, at least all high schools has had some sort of improvement in their programs.

Even it's just a tiny one.

Cheerleading becomes a sport in New York State on November 10th and I am so happy and thankful! Coaches and cheerleaders will be held at the same standard of other school sports. I'm most excited about coaches having to hold certifications as well as NYS having sectionals, regionals and state competitions. State competition won't be until the 2015-2016 winter season!

The district where I went to school/currently coach at has always treated cheerleading like a sport, which is making transition an easy one.

Back