High School Am I The Only That's Happy About The Improvement In School Cheer???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think people need to understand that UCA NHSCC is not connected with state competitions. The way to qualify for UCA NHSCC is to qualify at a Regional comp that offers bids by winning your HS division or by receiving an At-Large.

Some state sport associations have gotten organized enough to treat cheer as a sport but that doesn't imply they all go by the same rules and there is still a long way to go before there is a true national competition system.

I think people need to understand that UCA NHSCC is not connected with state competitions. The way to qualify for UCA NHSCC is to qualify at a Regional comp that offers bids by winning your HS division or by receiving an At-Large.

Some state sport associations have gotten organized enough to treat cheer as a sport but that doesn't imply they all go by the same rules and there is still a long way to go before there is a true national competition system.
Yes, but it is hard to find comps other than UCA Regionals if you are not competing through your state's athletic association.

IL is one of those real bummers in terms of states not permitting cheer teams to compete at NCA/UCA.

Everyone needs to Youtube "IHSA cheer state champions."

Watch those videos.

Now cry because they cannot leave IL.

I know. We have some amazing teams. I love that our state considers cheer as a sport, but they have imposed restrictions that keep our AMAZING teams from showing the whole nation that we rock. I would love to say I have faith that they will loosen up the restrictions, but I don't see that happening. They want to be the ONLY competition in the state, but they aren't the original!

I know. We have some amazing teams. I love that our state considers cheer as a sport, but they have imposed restrictions that keep our AMAZING teams from showing the whole nation that we rock. I would love to say I have faith that they will loosen up the restrictions, but I don't see that happening. They want to be the ONLY competition in the state, but they aren't the original!
It's all about the money, it seems. Are they also one of those states that provides/requires everything that other sports get except for a CPR certification (requirement for the coach)?

It's the same way in Virginia, I wish some of our teams could compete at UCA. I think they would do really well.

It's actually sucks, my HS team would thrive in UCA where stunting is really big, the biggest issue with cheer being limited to VHSL is that our seasons are very short if we don't advance to regionals, and that some teams are pinned against teams and they have no chance. The NOVA teams that are in Fairfax kill the Alexandria, and Arlington teams because we don't have a bunch of gymnastics or AS programs to pull from.

It's all about the money, it seems. Are they also one of those states that provides/requires everything that other sports get except for a CPR certification (requirement for the coach)?

No, we have to be CPR certified, as well as take two different classes and three tests to be certified to coach. I love that they require such classes and strive for safety, but at the same time when concerns/issues arise, they have no means of following thru and reprimanding those not following the rules.
For example, you must be 21 to coach or have completed a bachelor's degree (Great rule, honestly, it ensures more maturity and a good age gap between the coach and the athletes they are coaching), but when it was pointed out that there were two coaches at one school, under the age of 21, with one of them not being certified, it was "we'll check into that" nothing was done about it, not even questioned.
Second example, one particular school is notorious for violating safety rules. A video was submitted of them doing basket tosses on the gym floor with a second video a few weeks later of their coach stunting with them (I'm not talking spotting, I'm talking basing the lib) it was again, we'll contact the AD, yet a few weeks later the coach did it again with the AD sitting right there watching.
Why have rules if they can't or won't be enforced? But oh, don't try competing out of season, cause they'll fine the school. Silly!

IL is one of those real bummers in terms of states not permitting cheer teams to compete at NCA/UCA.

Everyone needs to Youtube "IHSA cheer state champions."

Watch those videos.

Now cry because they cannot leave IL.

Illinois teams may travel outside the state in order to compete. The only rule is that we can't miss more than 2 days of school for the event.

The previous statement regarding UCA being after our competitive season is true...That one is off the table unfortunately...However, the NCA events in Dallas and St. Louis are fair game.

Illinois teams may travel outside the state in order to compete. The only rule is that we can't miss more than 2 days of school for the event.

The previous statement regarding UCA being after our competitive season is true...That one is off the table unfortunately...However, the NCA events in Dallas and St. Louis are fair game.
I think that is a great rule.

In Texas you are required to be a certified teacher to sponsor the cheerleaders. Is this true for all states?

In Texas you are required to be a certified teacher to sponsor the cheerleaders. Is this true for all states?
No. None of my coaches have ever been teachers. But we're an activity. No think most of not all of the sports coaches are teachers

This isn't a rule in Tennessee. We have a pretty good athletic program all the way around. Most of the coaches at our school are not teachers. I think the athletic program is so strong because it is mostly outside coaches brought in. I'm not saying teachers can't coach, just a good thing that teachers are being forced to coach a sport that they don't know about because they teach. I can only think of 3 sports at our school where the coaches are teachers, and our dance team has a teacher sponsor with 2 non faculty dance coaches. I have no clue what the sponsor does, other than presses play on the music.

Yes you can travel outside the state, but you are limited to 5 competitions total outside of the IHSA state series. If, which a majority do, your team also competes ICCA then that is at least 2 competitions right there. Then you have many local schools that hold competitions prior to the ICCA or IHSA series that many teams attend in order to get a judges perspective on their routine before it really counts. You can go and compete at the St. Louis NCA competition, but there's hardly any teams that go for HS, we were going to but I was told that there wouldn't be but 1 or 2 teams there (not worth the money for travel and fees for only a couple teams). Our school won't allow us to travel to Dallas. They were going to allow us to travel to Kentucky when NCA had a competition there, but it doesn't appear that they have that competition anymore either.

Yes you can travel outside the state, but you are limited to 5 competitions total outside of the IHSA state series. If, which a majority do, your team also competes ICCA then that is at least 2 competitions right there. Then you have many local schools that hold competitions prior to the ICCA or IHSA series that many teams attend in order to get a judges perspective on their routine before it really counts. You can go and compete at the St. Louis NCA competition, but there's hardly any teams that go for HS, we were going to but I was told that there wouldn't be but 1 or 2 teams there (not worth the money for travel and fees for only a couple teams). Our school won't allow us to travel to Dallas. They were going to allow us to travel to Kentucky when NCA had a competition there, but it doesn't appear that they have that competition anymore either.
The Kentucky comp, NCA Open Nationals, is in St. Louis this year!

Back