Am The Only Person Frustrated With Deduction Judges?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 4, 2012
I have been at numerous large competitions this year where teams have dropped stunts yet the score sheet showed no deductions. This past weekend a team should of been given a safety yet was given a warning. Isn't it a little late in the season to give a warning??

I know certain levels very well and am shocked that certain teams in my area have gotten away with stunts/transitions that are clearly illegal this whole season. It's made me question my knowledge (I have looked it up after the comps and the movements in question have been illegal). I have also seen stupid deductions or points not being awarded (a lvl 2 team I coach didn't get basket points because they "weren't high enough". They were...). That's why it's hard to think cheer will ever become and Olympic sport. They are already trying to get away from judged sports in the Olympics, there's a slim to none chance they'll add cheer, especially with all of the inconsistencies

My team ran into a new issue with a legality two weekends ago on a stunt that we've been performing for the past two years. At the competition 2 weeks ago the judge considered the skill a release move making it illegal for our division while our coaches and apparently prior judges didn't consider it a release move, so it was legal for our level. We were lucky to get a warning, but we had to "fix" the issue within a week because we had another competition the following weekend with no practices in between (we're an open team...no practices throughout the week).

Anyway - although it may seem late in the season for warnings, judges have different opinions and it's hard to say if a team has been given a warning in the past- very gray area in judging.

Back