High School Amount Of Stunting For Uca Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 7, 2010
Conflicting information.
A: If you open with stunt, you need a second stunt series to prove you are strong enough to pull off stunts. So do 2 stunt series. (Currently we open with a stunt, tumble, cheer, dance - only 3 eight counts), stunt, pyramid
B: One stunt series is enough. Lengthen dance or make a better, more dynamic pyramid.

Thoughts?
Thank you.

@ellen495
Universal Cheerleaders Association - Where America Cheers:: HomeJudging Sheets

Do A) if stunting is your team's strong suit. If not, pick B) .

Here are a couple of my favorite teams:

Notice that although Dunbar has strong building skills, they decided to open with tumbling. North Laurel had extremely strong partner stunting skills, and so they chose to open with that.

2014 UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship (Dunbar)

I recommend putting tumbling into the latter half of your routine to add difficulty.

ETA: The dance is only worth 5 points of your score, don't spend more than a few 8-counts on it.

Last edited:
UCA is subjective. There is no right or wrong. At times it can be frustrating, but you can also work it to your advantage. Like OWEcheer said, play up your strengths. If you aren't strong stunters, then don't highlight that!

We have opened with stunts on more than one occasion. Last year we opened with 2 mans and had two more additional stunt sequences to that. This year we aren't opening with stunts, but we still have 2 stunt sequences, but again there is no right or wrong format.

Lengthening the dance is not a recommendation I've heard from anyone. Ours is typically 2 8 counts... last year was only 1 and a half and it scored really well.

Somewhere in the beginning you what to have your "Elite" stunt sequence.....review your score sheet to see what you need to do to get the score you want....ie different body positions 2 is average; so if stunting is not your strength, try to have at least two different extended body positions. Also new this year to the score sheet is difficulty in stunting during the cheer.....So it is also a good idea to step up your stunting during the cheer. In the previous years, it was all about croud leading and being clean and tight, this year they added difficulty, so now you have to go for it to be competitive......Good luck!

Are you competing in the traditional division? I compete non-tumble and my plan is open with clean solid stunts, have a transitional jump sequence (which would be tumbling locally) , and then go to elite and then right to cheer. My second music portion is the standard jump, 3 8-counts of dance because it is weighted a little more heavily in Non-tumble and pyramid.

Hope that helps!

UCA is subjective. There is no right or wrong. At times it can be frustrating, but you can also work it to your advantage. Like OWEcheer said, play up your strengths. If you aren't strong stunters, then don't highlight that!

We have opened with stunts on more than one occasion. Last year we opened with 2 mans and had two more additional stunt sequences to that. This year we aren't opening with stunts, but we still have 2 stunt sequences, but again there is no right or wrong format.

Lengthening the dance is not a recommendation I've heard from anyone. Ours is typically 2 8 counts... last year was only 1 and a half and it scored really well.
True, but I wouldn't advise ending with the dance (if that's what they plan to do). It's seen as anticlimactic, especially since UCA is so stunt-focused.

Everything is so subjective it is nearly impossible to know exactly what UCA judges want! Last year a team that won a major division had an Allstar style IMO and ended with a dance. Great team but definitely not "uca style". As other posts said- play up strengths. If you have two great stunt sequences use two, but do not force it if you would rather put time in else where. We typically have our elite and a single base stunt sequence, then one long pyramid. We spend about 7-8 8 counts total on Tumbling/dancing and jumps. This year there will be 3 separate judging panels for cheer, building, and dance/tumble jumps and overall effect. I wonder if this will change anything regarding how much time is spent on these areas!

Everything is so subjective it is nearly impossible to know exactly what UCA judges want! Last year a team that won a major division had an Allstar style IMO and ended with a dance. Great team but definitely not "uca style". As other posts said- play up strengths. If you have two great stunt sequences use two, but do not force it if you would rather put time in else where. We typically have our elite and a single base stunt sequence, then one long pyramid. We spend about 7-8 8 counts total on Tumbling/dancing and jumps. This year there will be 3 separate judging panels for cheer, building, and dance/tumble jumps and overall effect. I wonder if this will change anything regarding how much time is spent on these areas!
Was it Hagerty or El Dorado?

Great info! Shimmies for everyone.

My cps' team is supposedly competing. Practice was canceled yesterday. One of my girls said something about working on stunts. They don't have music or any part of their routine yet. I passed on some of this info to my youngest along with the score sheet.

Thanks!

Great info! Shimmies for everyone.

My cps' team is supposedly competing. Practice was canceled yesterday. One of my girls said something about working on stunts. They don't have music or any part of their routine yet. I passed on some of this info to my youngest along with the score sheet.

Thanks!
Glad we could help!

By the way, has anyone been able to get their hands on a UCA rule list/book? So far the only way in which I've been able to keep track of rule changes is by hearing things through the grapevine.

By the way, has anyone been able to get their hands on a UCA rule list/book? So far the only way in which I've been able to keep track of rule changes is by hearing things through the grapevine.
I'm pretty sure the rules are on the UCA website.

Back