All-Star Angel Rice Moving To Cali Smoed For 2014-2015 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Why do you feel like SMOED recruits ? I've never heard of any recruiting. Individuals contact CALI not vice versa. If something is said by a CALI gym on social media identifying a need for male cheerleaders to tryout, I don't view that as recruiting but rather advertising. To the best of my knowledge they don't recruit individuals from other gyms...ever.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Sending emails to athletes not affiliated with the gym IS recruiting. I thought there was a USASF rule regarding recruiting athletes but I could be wrong. Although I personally don't see a problem with recruiting, it does make it very difficult for the average gym to compete with smoed or any other gym that recruits and offers housing and scholarships to out of area athletes.

I apologize for my comment about Cali recruiting. They are a fantastic program and smoed is a great team.

I am not endorsing or condoning any possible recruiting that may or may not be taking place BUT I think it is important to note that most of the gossip coming out about spots being filled is in regard to the boy positions. It is hard to find boys who have the skills to be on a world caliber small coed team. Considering the small population of qualified boys, if recruiting is occurring, then whether the "boy poaching" is logical or patently unfair is entirely a matter of personal opinion.

i'm just jealous that they could lose 4 boys and have no problem getting 4 really talented boys back. we could barely get 2 boys in our gym lol

Sending emails to athletes not affiliated with the gym IS recruiting. I thought there was a USASF rule regarding recruiting athletes but I could be wrong. Although I personally don't see a problem with recruiting, it does make it very difficult for the average gym to compete with smoed or any other gym that recruits and offers housing and scholarships to out of area athletes.

I find it very surprising if they sent unsolicited letters to athletes currently at another gym. That's not how they work. They don't need to resort to such tactics. They receive countless videos unsolicited all the time. It's not necessary for them to drum up interest in CALI, the interest is there.

So how many years til we're at a place where only mega gyms field coed teams?

About 2 seasons.

Agree since they will be the only ones able to give free tuition and housing to boys to cheer for them. It will become increasingly hard for a gym- especially a not well known or fan favorite type gym - that can't afford to offer those types of perks to hold onto their boys once they get to to that skill. Not impossible but very hard.

Agree since they will be the only ones able to give free tuition and housing to boys to cheer for them. It will become increasingly hard for a gym- especially a not well known or fan favorite type gym - that can't afford to offer those types of perks to hold onto their boys once they get to to that skill. Not impossible but very hard.

So do you think it will be possible for smaller gyms to be competitive in the small coed division if they only can find 1 or 2 boys? I'm curious because if boys are going to be hard to come by and a gym can only find a couple is it better for them to go small coed or to let those boys go and just go all girl? There were over 80 small coed teams at Worlds so there are boys out there. Wonder how many of those teams had 4 boys?

So do you think it will be possible for smaller gyms to be competitive in the small coed division if they only can find 1 or 2 boys? I'm curious because if boys are going to be hard to come by and a gym can only find a couple is it better for them to go small coed or to let those boys go and just go all girl? There were over 80 small coed teams at Worlds so there are boys out there. Wonder how many of those teams had 4 boys?

I think those numbers will go down when you factor in the advance of social networking in knowing what other programs out there are looking for boys, knowing the perks are there(which used to be denied in years past) and major programs franchising across the country which then puts a potential location closer to them. Smaller gyms also may be less willing to train up and scholarship a boy only to know that as soon as he gets close to level 4 or 5 he is leaving to go elsewhere.

My personal but unpopular view is no. I feel like we want the smaller gym "emotionally" to have the chance to be competitive against the major programs even if they have fewer boys. But based on the rubric, stunting requirements, the feel and look of the routine and what it takes to truly be on a competitive team (vs just compete) it is a losing battle. With the advent of social media and connecting to others in the industry these boys and parents are more aware than ever of what perks the major programs around the country have to offer their son to potentially switch programs. Hard to keep a boy in small town usa when he can go to Miami, Dallas, Cali etc for next to nothing.

A lot of programs go with 2-3 boys. The previous 2 years we had 3 boys. Last year we had one boy at that skill level tryout. He had been with us for 3 years but we let him go. We felt we could not go into Small Coed with one boy. There was nothing we could do about it and recommended him to other programs in the area that had a small coed team. While I can not speak of the other directors of our program I can say that unless we had four evenly skilled Level 5 boys walk through the door wanting to cheer, not defecting from another local program and were willing to pay their way, we will probably never enter that division again.

World Cup Omni had 3 boys and placed 8th. It's definitely possible to be competitive with less than 4 boys especially if you have strong female tumblers

Back