Any All Star Teams In The City Of Chicago?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 28, 2014
Northside - Lincoln Park/ Gold Coast area? Any great teams worth driving for? I can't find anything. We may be transferred. :( CP is going to be crushed to leave her gym as it is, but I can't even find a new one. I hope someone can please tell me I'm missing something.

Short answer - Nope. Within the city, there is Chicago Xplosion. They are way South - maybe 75th St I think? I haven't seen them in awhile, so I don't know if they still exist. And a quick Google search has turned up something called Cheer Destiny in Lincoln Park. I've never heard of it before now, so maybe it's new? It says they have allstar cheerleading on their website. Maybe look there.

I live about 10 minutes from where you're talking about in Lincoln square.

There are about a bazillion gyms in the various suburbs of Chicago. Getting to the suburbs of Chicago on weekday afternoons requires the patience of Job, but can be done.

Just know that any gym you find in the suburbs, add 45 minutes to whatever Google maps says, because most of the time that's what will happen. It says my cp's gym is just over an hour away, I don't think we ever got there in less than 2 hours.

If you end up in the gold Coast area, despite what a map tells you, South suburbs will probably be your best bet, traffic wise.

Don't know if this helps - if you do end up moving, I can be more help once you know where. There are lots of kids activities in the city - but cheerleading is NOT popular in Chicago. I still get "the look" (confusion, eye rolling, the "Oh........ OK....... I guess.....") and my kids haven't cheered in 2 years.

(Btw - if you're definitely moving to the city and not the suburbs, I'd be more worried about schools than cheer. Learned that lesson the hard way when we moved here. The schools here require patience and diligence - it's an elaborate system. If you move here and don't go with private school, I can help you navigate the school system too - I'm a pro)

Check out USA All Stars. Not sure which suburb the gym is in, but it's run by an awesome coach!

Check out USA All Stars. Not sure which suburb the gym is in, but it's run by an awesome coach!

Are you sure this is the name? The only gym in Illinois with that name that I know of is United Starz or something like that - and they are about 3 hours away. Probably 4+ during rush hour.

This makes me think of that meme that @emma_tuttle (I'm pretty sure it was her that posted it) posted about Illinois... Where people outside of Illinois think all of Illinois is Chicago. :D

United Spirit Athletics on N Elston Ave in Chicago. Website is unitedspiritathletics.com. it's a relatively new gym.

United Spirit Athletics on N Elston Ave in Chicago. Website is unitedspiritathletics.com. it's a relatively new gym.

Oh, they ARE new. They're not even open yet it looks like. I could walk there!

Where were all these gyms when I was looking 4 years ago? I had to drive 2 hours to get my kids cheer! I feel so lost!

Thank you!! We'll look into USA All Stars if we land there. It looks so small!! She's in a pretty big program now. This move is going to be a big adjustment all the way around. We're planning on private school - we have family at Latin. I don't think I could possibly take on Chicago public schools on top of everything else right now. I've heard it's definitely a challenge. My hat's off!

Did you transition to another sport? Gymnastics, maybe? If cheer doesn't work out... (my poor girl!!), where do you go from there?

Short answer - Nope. Within the city, there is Chicago Xplosion. They are way South - maybe 75th St I think? I haven't seen them in awhile, so I don't know if they still exist. And a quick Google search has turned up something called Cheer Destiny in Lincoln Park. I've never heard of it before now, so maybe it's new? It says they have allstar cheerleading on their website. Maybe look there.

I live about 10 minutes from where you're talking about in Lincoln square.

There are about a bazillion gyms in the various suburbs of Chicago. Getting to the suburbs of Chicago on weekday afternoons requires the patience of Job, but can be done.

Just know that any gym you find in the suburbs, add 45 minutes to whatever Google maps says, because most of the time that's what will happen. It says my cp's gym is just over an hour away, I don't think we ever got there in less than 2 hours.

If you end up in the gold Coast area, despite what a map tells you, South suburbs will probably be your best bet, traffic wise.

Don't know if this helps - if you do end up moving, I can be more help once you know where. There are lots of kids activities in the city - but cheerleading is NOT popular in Chicago. I still get "the look" (confusion, eye rolling, the "Oh........ OK....... I guess.....") and my kids haven't cheered in 2 years.

(Btw - if you're definitely moving to the city and not the suburbs, I'd be more worried about schools than cheer. Learned that lesson the hard way when we moved here. The schools here require patience and diligence - it's an elaborate system. If you move here and don't go with private school, I can help you navigate the school system too - I'm a pro)

Like @Just-a-Mom mentioned, most gyms are in the suburbs, and generally not in the close suburbs. If you're looking for a higher level team, you're going to have to drive out of the city. There's tons of options and reputable programs, but they're going to be a hike.

Chicago Xplosion is definitely very far south. I did choreography with two of their teams this summer and I want to say they were near 95th st.

Cheer Destiny has been around for a year or two. They're a very small program.

There's a gym in Des Plaines (Near ohare) called EOC Allstars and one in Countryside called Cheer Galaxy.

Thank you!! We'll look into USA All Stars if we land there. It looks so small!! She's in a pretty big program now. This move is going to be a big adjustment all the way around. We're planning on private school - we have family at Latin. I don't think I could possibly take on Chicago public schools on top of everything else right now. I've heard it's definitely a challenge. My hat's off!

Did you transition to another sport? Gymnastics, maybe? If cheer doesn't work out... (my poor girl!!), where do you go from there?
What IS big in girls' athletics in Chicago?
Irish Dancing is the next logical step.

Lolololololol yep.

My cp switched to Irish dance and then I put her in ballet to help with her feet for Irish dance. Well, that backfired - now she's obsessed, and does ballet full time. (she's also on a competition team at a studio, but her time and her heart go to ballet). She's kind of wishy washy - so, we'll see how long this lasts.

Irish dance is huge in Chicago (although my little Irish dancer has officially hung up her ghillies - I'm still trying to persuade her to go back for just one day a week).

She also played volleyball for a year. She wants to still play, but just doesn't have time this year.

Big in Chicago:
As mentioned, volleyball
Lacrosse
Soccer
Figure skating
Dance

There is a really good gymnastics place over by the lake too.

Not sure if you have any boys, but football, NOT big in Chicago schools. Very few of them even have it! (no space) It's huge in the suburbs, but both my girls don't even know anyone that's ever played football. This took some adjustment on my part, because I don't understand how you have high school without football! :eek:

Lord. Illinois Cheer...

29eoqx4.jpg

Back