OT Any Of You Have Musical Experience?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 30, 2013
So I have a flute, and I played it for two years, I didn't really like it and felt like I couldn't play very well. I always wanted to play the saxophone. Have any of you ever played the saxophone? Is it very difficult to play? My parents want me to be very sophisticated and be in my schools orchestra. I don't want to disappoint my parents, but I really want to try the saxophone. Help?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I played oboe in school, and wanted to learn sax too. I picked up the fingering in about 30 minutes. If you pick alto, you can also play the baritone sax, since both use the same fingerings. Tenor has a slightly different fingerings, I believe. If you've ever played any reed instrument, you'll be fine, and fingerings for notes will be very similar to flute. All of our school bands had saxophones, plus they played in the jazz bands too

I played the saxophone! I didn't think it was that hard to pick up fingerings and how to use a reed. It gets harder when things get fast and such but maybe my fingers just don't move very fast! lol but I think the saxophone is a common 2nd instrument, my brother is switching from clarinet and I know a lot of people who have switched after playing another instrument so I'm sure you'll be fine! It's fun because you can be in jazz band! And saxes are a big part of jazz band and get to do a lot of fun stuff on jazz songs, which was one of the only reasons I stayed in as long as I did, because I thought concert band was boring but jazz was fun

Hi!! I used to be a cheerleader/dancer, and I'm actually in the marching band at my college right now!! My younger brother plays the saxophone, and he says it actually has similar fingerings to the flute. The only thing that might be different for you is learning to play with a reed. It can also cost a bit of money, depending on what kind of reeds you get. My brother uses Vandoren. Both my sister and I play the clarinet, and apparently that's a bit easier to learn at first, but it gets harder as you get into more complex music. My brother said with saxophone its the opposite. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!! :) Good luck!!

So I have a flute, and I played it for two years, I didn't really like it and felt like I couldn't play very well. I always wanted to play the saxophone. Have any of you ever played the saxophone? Is it very difficult to play? My parents want me to be very sophisticated and be in my schools orchestra. I don't want to disappoint my parents, but I really want to try the saxophone. Help?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I have played the tenor sax! My sister plays alto as her 2nd instrument. I don't play tenor often (I play trumpet, but at music camp i learned tenor!)
I thought playing it was easy. It may take a little time to get used to the reed playing, but it didn't take me long at all!
Fingerings are not too complicated.
The hardest part for you will be learning a new key. I think sax is in the key of Eb? And flute is C, so it may get confusing!
(I can't remember if thats right about saxophones but i know theyre different keys!)

Hi,
I would try playing the piano or percussion because I play the clarinet and it was kind of hard for me 2 play the tenor sax because u have 2 blow into the instrument and the flute is an elegant woodwind instrument so it would be hard 2 make that transition. I'm not saying don't try it but I think piano or playing the bells as a percussionist would be a good instrument 2 try.

A lot of people interchange between clarinet and (tenor) sax, I believe they're both fingered and blown in similar ways, and particularly at lower levels (eg. in schools) a teacher will teach both instruments. If your parents are set on you playing in your school orchestra, perhaps it would be worth looking at taking up both, or at least trying both.

I've played violin and viola for 5 years but I did play flute. I would like to mess around with my friends sax and she taught me some stuff. I picked up pretty fast so I don't think it's hard.

Back