All-Star Article On Panthers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i didn't even finish reading the article. I didn't like how he was making the Panthers look. The Panthers hands down were the NICEST , SWEETEST group of girls last year. Panthers were so nice to my team (RED) last season. I wish they would of focused more on their great season

It should have, and that was a fault of the writers'. I'm saying that when it comes down to who they were trying to really reach and entertain with that article, it's obvious that they would go for the general public rather than trying to appeal to allstar cheerleaders. They are going to Do whatever brings them in more money.
Either you're contradicting yourself, or you're changing who you're speaking for. In the previous post you said you felt he did what he was supposed to do. Now you're saying the writer failed because you agree the title is misleading. Then you start using the word "they". I'd only be assuming, if I was to take it you are inferring that the editors were dictating what should be written.

And what I'm getting at is that the writter never flat out said "I'm going to write about everything it took for the panthers to win worlds and show everyone what all it takes to be a worlds level athlete etc etc. " so we can't really say that he didn't Do what he was supposed to Do.
As I stated, I'm not the writer, nor am I the CA staff. I'm guessing you aren't either, so how do you know he *didn't* say what his plan was? Not saying he did, but if bluecat himself says they aren't thrilled with it, and comments about 12 paragraphs about a slumber party vs 1 sentence on Worlds, that shows some disconnect between their expectations. And who's to say that the general public *wouldn't* be as entertained by the story everybody was hoping it would be?

BlueCat I was very disappointed in the article's content as well. I look up to your program, as I'm sure any small gym does. At least the cheer community knows the real truth about CA.

Either you're contradicting yourself, or you're changing who you're speaking for. In the previous post you said you felt he did what he was supposed to do. Now you're saying the writer failed because you agree the title is misleading. Then you start using the word "they". I'd only be assuming, if I was to take it you are inferring that the editors were dictating what should be written.

As I stated, I'm not the writer, nor am I the CA staff. I'm guessing you aren't either, so how do you know he *didn't* say what his plan was? Not saying he did, but if bluecat himself says they aren't thrilled with it, and comments about 12 paragraphs about a slumber party vs 1 sentence on Worlds, that shows some disconnect between their expectations. And who's to say that the general public *wouldn't* be as entertained by the story everybody was hoping it would be?

I think what was meant (and I could be grossly wrong) was that he (and every journalist out there) had the intention to write a story for the mass population, not one subculture/audience. He did just that. As King, myself and a few others have said, he started out with guns blazing to pull readers in, and did it well, then started to lose his steam and putter out when it actually came to what (in our opinions) matter most. However, he probably didn't tell CA what he was going to focus on--however, again, a journalist always looks for a different angle to portray a story and gain an audience. He found his "gravedigger" as we called it in class today (side note, read the article about the man who dug JFK's grave--he reported on the funeral but from a WILDLY different angle than the rest of the reporters). If he had reported more on competitions than the few paragraphs, would everyone still be upset about the fire part of the story? Again, BlueCat said there were errors and falsified facts in the article, which is a HUGE no no, but if we pretended those didn't exist in the story, and it was 100% factual, think of how great this piece would have been with a fully finished ending and well-reported story about cheerleading and an inside look at the team.

I am a die-hard CA (and Panthers in particular) fan. I have been since the day I started cheering. This piece hasn't changed my opinion on the program at all. Actually, it excited me as a journalism student to read something like that about a team I've always adored. (And noting what could have been better, wonder if I can hop on down to Plano and follow them around next season to write a real article after I graduate ;) )

Come on now if we want to argue in that sense, this could go on forever. 'How Do you know he *did* say what his plan was and how Do you know that the general public *would* be entertained by the story everybody was hoping it would be.' Etc etc. Yes I Do agree that the article was a train wreck and not exactly what I would hope it would be but like I said earlier, in my OPINION, I think that the writer figured that the readers would like the edgy drama type article rather than the documentry type. My evidence to support my opinion? The ratings on tv shows such as toddlers and tiaras versus those of shows that might have a little bit more of a meaning or are more serious. Again, just so we don't have anymore false assumptions, this is just what I think and I'm not claiming anything is for sure

We were offered the opportunity to discuss the article on a local news show this morning. After much debate, we accepted the offer to appear with the editor of D Magazine and the writer of the story. Some of the athletes were able to be there to demo a few skills as well. (Limited number of athletes could be there, there was very limited space, and they couldn't play music for copyright reasons.) They interviewed Brad and the people from D Magazine. Later they quickly showed the athletes doing some standing backs and a watered-down version of our stunt. The interview portion is here: (sorry for the poor video quality. There may be a better version later.)

We were offered the opportunity to discuss the article on a local news show this morning. After much debate, we accepted the offer to appear with the editor of D Magazine and the writer of the story. Some of the athletes were able to be there to demo a few skills as well. (Limited number of athletes could be there, there was very limited space, and they couldn't play music for copyright reasons.) They interviewed Brad and the people from D Magazine. Later they quickly showed the athletes doing some standing backs and a watered-down version of our stunt. The interview portion is here: (sorry for the poor video quality. There may be a better version later.)

I had said a few pages back that there needed to be a video companion piece to this article as it would have put things in better perspective. I'm glad that it gave a chance to clarify that the focus of the article should have been the athleticism of this team and their success of the past season rather than the pyromaniac antics at the slumber party.

When I first read the article, it wasn't as bad as some people were making it out to be. I also knew that some of those quotes from Brad were false and twisted around. For anyone who has never been coached by Brad, or never coached with him, you should know that he is nice, motivational and very humble. And that really goes for all CA coaches, owners and athletes. These coaches are a class act! There is a reason why they have had hundreds of athletes in their allstar program for the past decade + ......it's because of their great coaches and the three awesome owners!!!!
[/quote]

The interviewer makes me a little angry, he's constantly going off about that fire thing :confused:
Other than that i think it was a great chance to clarify a few things, especially the ''slumber party'' and to point out what the sport is REALLY about
Well done CA :)

Hearing the author of the article speak about the slumber party I think I see where the article was coming from even more. The bonding defining moment of that slumber party set the stage for the entire year, and is probably why they all clung to it. I possibly enjoy the article even more now on a different level.

I liked the video clip from the morning show. I felt all 3 men were very well spoken and the writer especially sounded as though he really did respect the team dynamics on the floor as well as off of it. Very well done!

Edited to add....I only watched it so I could see the demonstration at the end of the show and I got nothing. LMAO J/K kind of.

So I actually shared this article in my advanced reporting class, explaining how the writer was able to make a cheerleading story something different--and how I disliked it from a cheerleading POV, but (if it had actually been 100% factual and focused on worlds and the actual cheerleading part of it as much as he did the fire) I do like it from a journalistic POV. After class, each of us had to post the link to our story on our Facebook group. My professor commented back to me saying:
"I can understand why that story has created some hysterics. The writer is painting a largely unflattering picture of a cheer squad. That said, it's a more interesting story to read about the behind-the-scenes stuff than to recount their latest routine. As he points out at the start of his last three graphs: you know how this story ends. Thanks for sharing. #BABS"

My professor is on the BABS wagon ;)

Back