All-Star Article On Panthers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

and that's the key to good writing.
Exactly. Y'all, we have to remember that he wrote that article to appeal to his audience, not to persuade everyone into thinking that cheer is a legitimate sport. In my eyes, I think he did what he was supposed to Do. Now if his motive WAS to show everybody everything cheer athletics had been through to get to and win worlds, that's where there would be a problem.

After I read it, I just couldn't get one question out of my head. "Is suffocating each other like a cool new thing? That's dangerous, right?"
I was waiting for someone to comment on this... that sounds absolutely terrifying! I definitely would not like a panther girl (you've seen their muscles right?) pin me up against a wall until I pass out...

I was waiting for someone to comment on this... that sounds absolutely terrifying! I definitely would not like a panther girl (you've seen their muscles right?) pin me up against a wall until I pass out...

Not that this is smart behavior but doing things until your dizzy or pass out briefly are not uncommon for this age group.

I just have to say.. Thanks for all the kind words about our program & Panthers! I didn't care for the article & alot of its content... & my daughter wasn't even on Panthers last yr, she was on Cheetahs but there were some positives! It is what it is and we have to move past it! I'm so proud to be a Panthers mom & to now be a part of this legacy! I know that our girls will take the high road and represent CA with class & great sportsmanship... In the end that's all we can really hope for! :)

Not that this is smart behavior but doing things until your dizzy or pass out briefly are not uncommon for this age group.
I can remember being on the back of the church bus doing this when I was younger. Not smart, but when no one tells you that it's not smart it just seems fun.

I can remember being on the back of the church bus doing this when I was younger. Not smart, but when no one tells you that it's not smart it just seems fun.

I don't think it has affected your posting ability... much.

We might be alone on this island. I agree with you.

King, I think you probably like it because you know 100% of the backstory about everything that goes into what the team did and was required to do for that amazing year.

When someone writes "And then they won Worlds", there are probably thousands of images that flash through your mind in an instant: the hours, the sweat, the pain, the tears, the joy, etc, etc, etc.

You KNOW and we KNOW exactly what it means.

What I hoped for (and what I think others hoped for) was an article that would detail those thousands of images in some form that others outside of our little world could grasp. That they could somehow catch a glimpse of what we see every day in gyms across the country.

If this had been a vision of a girls softball or volleyball team, everyone would love the view of the parts not seen because lots of people KNOW what they do.

We didn't get the article we wanted. And it is another in a continuing line of disappointments for a group that would love just a bit of respect.

King, I think you probably like it because you know 100% of the backstory about everything that goes into what the team did and was required to do for that amazing year.

When someone writes "And then they won Worlds", there are probably thousands of images that flash through your mind in an instant: the hours, the sweat, the pain, the tears, the joy, etc, etc, etc.

You KNOW and we KNOW exactly what it means.

What I hoped for (and what I think others hoped for) was an article that would detail those thousands of images in some form that others outside of our little world could grasp. That they could somehow catch a glimpse of what we see every day in gyms across the country.

If this had been a vision of a girls softball or volleyball team, everyone would love the view of the parts not seen because lots of people KNOW what they do.

We didn't get the article we wanted. And it is another in a continuing line of disappointments for a group that would love just a bit of respect.

Possibly. I can't have helped but liked the article. I just plain did. I enjoyed the human and real parts of it. Although I will say talking about it so much has probably overly increased the enjoyment in my own mind (talking about how much you liked something over days makes you like it more without really thinking about it... kinda like smiling for an extended period of time will make you happy even if you weren't happy before). So my opinion might have been skewed because of my opinion. It is never something I could have written (my brain does not work like his) and maybe that is the part that intrigued me. Made me think about cheerleading in new and different ways.

I'm 17 and the idea of basically being suffocated sounds anything but attractive! I'm not judging, although I can't imagine it's healthy, I just can't fathom why anyone would want to do it...

I must live a sheltered life haha :rolleyes:

Sooooooo...I read the article and I have mixed feelings. Like many of you, I really had hoped it would focus more on the hard work, dedication, worlds, skills blah blah blah, etc..BUT it didn't. So yeah, that was a let down. However it didn't make me think any less of CA or the Panthers specifically or any of the girls. It made me wish I had those few minutes of my life back because I just spent several minutes of my adult life reading a stupid "article" about high school gossip. I promise you those few minutes were more than I had ever intended for reading kids gossip.

I don't follow a lot of the kids on Twitter, mostly because I don't care. Not that I don't like them, but I don't really have a vested interest or anything to gain from their moments of brilliance.(don't worry, they don't follow me either, because I am kind of boring) I do follow several coaches and athletes that have interesting insights and advice to dispense. It is always appreciated. But to get upset that these girls think they are B.A.B.'s? That seems a little harsh. I mean who DIDN'T think they were hot stuff in high school? At least we can say they are confident=) And I think can all agree that they show their confidence and pride in their performances

After I read it, I just couldn't get one question out of my head. "Is suffocating each other like a cool new thing? That's dangerous, right?"
I have to say I was a wee bit shocked to read that and was hoping that was an inaccuracy!

In my eyes, I think he did what he was supposed to Do. Now if his motive WAS to show everybody everything cheer athletics had been through to get to and win worlds, that's where there would be a problem.
So you didn't think, based on the title, that's what the article should have entailed???

So you didn't think, based on the title, that's what the article should have entailed???
It should have, and that was a fault of the writers'. I'm saying that when it comes down to who they were trying to really reach and entertain with that article, it's obvious that they would go for the general public rather than trying to appeal to allstar cheerleaders. They are going to Do whatever brings them in more money. And what I'm getting at is that the writter never flat out said "I'm going to write about everything it took for the panthers to win worlds and show everyone what all it takes to be a worlds level athlete etc etc. " so we can't really say that he didn't Do what he was supposed to Do.

I went to a girl's birthday party and they all were doing it. I knew i shouldn't because it isn't healthy, plus i had to leave the birthday party to go to cheer practice, so being all dizzy and what not wouldn't help at Cheer... lol

Back