All-Star Article

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just seeing this now, but all sports in Maine are after school activities. We only took PE as a freshman and had no physical activity requirements after that. Does a sports period take away from being able to have a study period? With all the clubs and organizations I was involved in that met before and after school, and with all star cheering (I'm excluding school cheer because I assume they don't practice additionally after school), it would would have been extremely difficult to keep up with all the school work from my classes without a study hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in my day (not sure if this is still the case) all of the Thornton Academy hockey players were required to have a study hall fourth period on either maroon or gold day so they could go to practice during that period.

We were required to have one credit of PE, and one semester counted as half a credit. So we needed 2 semesters of PE, freshman year only counted as 1 semester bc of the way our schedules worked. I hated PE. In junior high (8/9) we had to take tests over the games we were playing in PE. That's right, WRITTEN TESTS. Including questions like "what are the dimensions of a volleyball court?" And "who invented basketball?" (dead serious those were on our tests). The tests were the majority of our grade, the rest was participation, but here's the thing - our class periods were like a normal PE class (playing random dumb games) until the test day. It wasn't like we were being taught this stuff. We were just being tested on it.
I took PE freshman year and then did online PE my senior year. For online PE we got a heart rate monitor and had to log physical activity each week, started with one hour and eventually went up to two. We also had an assignment each week but they were quick and easy for the most part, like "make a stretching routine and video yourself demonstrating each stretch" or writing about our fitness goals. It was so much better than actually having PE because I could do it on my own time the way I wanted, and since I had an online class I had a free period, which I used to do the assignments when I needed to but most of the time worked on yearbook (I was editor in chief). I wore the heart rate monitor during cheer practice. Other options for PE were team sports, fitness walking (walking in circles around the school or the track I'm so serious), or strength training.
I always hated PE and I wish that sports could count for credit here. Maybe it's just my school system but my PE teachers were always kind of jerks and we just got yelled at and played stupid games for an hour when we could've been doing ANYTHING and it would've been more productive. IMO, PE class for an hour 2-3 times a week isn't actually improving anyone's health, and the people who like PE are the ones who are already athletic, so why do we bother? In elementary schools I get it but in HS there's better things we could be doing with our time and by that point you're either in an exercise routine/sport or you probably dont care. Nobody is counting on PE to be their daily exercise. Everyone just takes fitness walking anyway unless they're one of the few (all already athletes) who takes strength training or team sports.

Back in my day (not sure if this is still the case) all of the Thornton Academy hockey players were required to have a study hall fourth period on either maroon or gold day so they could go to practice during that period.
Really? Didn't know that. I'm not sure if they did when I was in high school or still do!

haha @cheernerd5678 we had PE tests at my high school too just like those ones.

and @MaineStar234 yeah, they were the only high school I knew of that did that. Although sometimes I would get out of school early for hockey games back before girl's ice hockey was an MPA sport and girls got the bad ice times.

I'm from VA where sports is an after school activity, and PE is only for 2 years (one semester of PE, one semester of health x 2). My county had a PE 3 option so those who already did their 2 years could have another year of PE that was year round, mostly athletes.

The most competitive teams were heavily monitored as the coaches worked at the school and had a mandatory study hall before practice. Again, after school..Other sports didn't, cheer being one of them. Our coach didn't work at our school.

We were required to have one credit of PE, and one semester counted as half a credit. So we needed 2 semesters of PE, freshman year only counted as 1 semester bc of the way our schedules worked. I hated PE. In junior high (8/9) we had to take tests over the games we were playing in PE. That's right, WRITTEN TESTS. Including questions like "what are the dimensions of a volleyball court?" And "who invented basketball?" (dead serious those were on our tests). The tests were the majority of our grade, the rest was participation, but here's the thing - our class periods were like a normal PE class (playing random dumb games) until the test day. It wasn't like we were being taught this stuff. We were just being tested on it.
I took PE freshman year and then did online PE my senior year. For online PE we got a heart rate monitor and had to log physical activity each week, started with one hour and eventually went up to two. We also had an assignment each week but they were quick and easy for the most part, like "make a stretching routine and video yourself demonstrating each stretch" or writing about our fitness goals. It was so much better than actually having PE because I could do it on my own time the way I wanted, and since I had an online class I had a free period, which I used to do the assignments when I needed to but most of the time worked on yearbook (I was editor in chief). I wore the heart rate monitor during cheer practice. Other options for PE were team sports, fitness walking (walking in circles around the school or the track I'm so serious), or strength training.
I always hated PE and I wish that sports could count for credit here. Maybe it's just my school system but my PE teachers were always kind of jerks and we just got yelled at and played stupid games for an hour when we could've been doing ANYTHING and it would've been more productive. IMO, PE class for an hour 2-3 times a week isn't actually improving anyone's health, and the people who like PE are the ones who are already athletic, so why do we bother? In elementary schools I get it but in HS there's better things we could be doing with our time and by that point you're either in an exercise routine/sport or you probably dont care. Nobody is counting on PE to be their daily exercise. Everyone just takes fitness walking anyway unless they're one of the few (all already athletes) who takes strength training or team sports.

Fitness walking? ... This is a class?! :eek:

Back