OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I really felt for her because I feel like with injuries, juniors aging up and girls planning to come out of "retirement" (success of that still pending) that might have been Skinner's only Worlds. Of course I hope the best for her but I can just see that happening.

Overall a successful Worlds. The next two years are going to be INTENSE, especially in the USA.

And she already has a team gold and a vault bronze....which is more than most of the other girls there that may not be around for another worlds or make it to the Olympics.

And it seems that she already has a college plan worked out with Utah.

She'll be alright. The tears could have been saved

Yeah, there was Jordin, then McKayla and her face for the silver, now another crying incident. All of this while our team is dominating everything and getting medals left and right.

We're going to get a reputation if our gymnasts don't look at the big picture and hold it together when disappointed - just sayin'.

Right! She actually looked salty when they showed her right after Aliya's floor

Komova boo hoo'd after all around at the Olympics and that annoyed me too.

I get that they worked their whole lives for this....I get the the thrill of victory and agony of defeat....but please learn to plaster on a fake smile and cry later.

Yeah, there was Jordin, then McKayla and her face for the silver, now another crying incident. All of this while our team is dominating everything and getting medals left and right.

We're going to get a reputation if our gymnasts don't look at the big picture and hold it together when disappointed - just sayin'.
Trust me, I hate a crybaby just as much as the next girl. (Komova 2012, ugh) But a few tears in someone's eyes doesn't bother me. I just take it as a statement of how intense and dedicated they are to their sport. And it's not like you get to have another shot at them at the next meet. It's annually (in the slim chance you make it to Worlds multiple times) or every four years (usually once in a lifetime shot). And if they were rudely dismissing the other competitors, obviously that wouldn't fly. But they always give their hugs and congratulate.

It bothered me more to see the two Korean vaulters celebrate when their competition fell.

Last edited:
Right! She actually looked salty when they showed her right after Aliya's floor

Komova boo hoo'd after all around at the Olympics and that annoyed me too.

I get that they worked their whole lives for this....I get the the thrill of victory and agony of defeat....but please learn to plaster on a fake smile and cry later.

Tbh, I have to agree with @cheerKT , these athletes are young and are very human - It kind of rattles me to see these athletes lose and are smiling, whaaat/?? I want to see the thrill of victory and I definitely want to see the agony of defeat... Just don't deny me this part... These young athletes devote all of their time to training and often only get a short window to compete at peak level, unlike the men, who are mostly older and many are competing well into their twenties--

Seriously, let's allow these athletes an opportunity to show their emotions, but at the same time they need to be good sports and congratulate the opposition when defeated...

Tbh, I have to agree with @cheerKT , these athletes are young and are very human - It kind of rattles me to see these athletes lose and are smiling, whaaat/?? I want to see the thrill of victory and I definitely want to see the agony of defeat... Just don't deny me this part... These young athletes devote all of their time to training and often only get a short window to compete at peak level, unlike the men, who are mostly older and many are competing well into their twenties--

Seriously, let's allow these athletes an opportunity to show their emotions, but at the same time they need to be good sports and congratulate the opposition when defeated...

I disagreed in 2012, I disagree in 2014.

If a male boohoo'd after losing on camera I would feel the exact same way

I'm willing to bet that if smoed loses worlds in 2015 and they sit there crying, the board would be in uproar.

I'm willing to bet that if smoed loses worlds in 2015 and they sit there crying, the board would be in uproar.

Well, I think there is a difference when we talk about these athletes competing in competitions that comes around only 4 years and competition that are yearly...

Seriously, if I were a gymnast competing in the Olympics and I was 21-22 years old and that year I came in 4th place by .0001 and it came down to a tie-breaker by the judges. Heck yeah, I will be boohooing tears all over the Arena and I am pretty sure after having my breakdown the judges and the Olympic Committee will have special meeting to create a nice shiny medal in my honor, I even take a medal made of brass or tin and humbly retire from the sport...:D:shimmy:

If they boohooed a la Komova in 2012, yes. But if they had tears in their eyes while they hugged their coach (like McKayla last night, Yao Jinnan after floor in all around) and still congratulated the winners it wouldn't bother me.

I think a lot of why Mykayla was upset is that she had the best routine of her life today and got the same scores as she had all week, whereas Aliya had a worse routine today than she had in qualifications, but earned a higher score. Judging can be harsh or lenient but it needs to be consistent for all competitors. I know I would certainly be frustrated with the judging in her situation.

I don't really mind when disappointed athletes cry either, but what's so wrong with those who don't ? Not everybody is comfortable with showing some emotions in public. When I was their age, I never showed extreme emotions in public either (still don't actually). I definitely would have been the kind of kid to smile even though I lost. Granted, I never commited to anything the way these kids do to their sport (years and years of their lives, high pressure, ...). And I'm not saying people should do the same, it's just the way I am. Crying (or being openly disappointed) is quite intimate in my opinion.
Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but I guess I found the "I definitely want to see the agony of defeat" part pretty extreme. I agree about being allowed to show their emotions as long as they remain good sports though.

If they boohooed a la Komova in 2012, yes. But if they had tears in their eyes while they hugged their coach (like McKayla last night, Yao Jinnan after floor in all around) and still congratulated the winners it wouldn't bother me.

Yao Jinnan legitimately had a bad performance with bad landings and very well could have been pain but to me she didn't tear up she just looked disappointed and embarrassed, hugged her coach and smiled.

I wouldn't categorize her with MyKayla who had a good performance.

I'll give Mykayla credit for getting her self together by her interview, but yes, I could have done with out her reaction

I think a lot of why Mykayla was upset is that she had the best routine of her life today and got the same scores as she had all week, whereas Aliya had a worse routine today than she had in qualifications, but earned a higher score. Judging can be harsh or lenient but it needs to be consistent for all competitors. I know I would certainly be frustrated with the judging in her situation.
Aliya's difficulty score was .2 higher today than it was in qualifications. Her E score was only .033 higher. I wouldn't say the judges were more lenient for her.

Aliya's difficulty score was .2 higher today than it was in qualifications. Her E score was only .033 higher. I wouldn't say the judges were more lenient for her.
Agree to disagree I guess then. Her landings and form on her tumbling were roughly the same as in quals, but her dance elements (turns especially) were not nearly as clean in finals. I expected her E score to drop by 1-2 tenths because of those turns, not go up slightly. That 0.033 in execution was the only difference between her and Mykayla's scores. I think that is enough to warrant some frustration and watery eyes from Mykayla.

Agree to disagree I guess then. Her landings and form on her tumbling were roughly the same as in quals, but her dance elements (turns especially) were not nearly as clean in finals. I expected her E score to drop by 1-2 tenths because of those turns, not go up slightly. That 0.033 in execution was the only difference between her and Mykayla's scores. I think that is enough to warrant some frustration and watery eyes from Mykayla.
Agreed. Aliya might have upped her start value, but her routine was just kind of sloppy? Her landings weren't great and she had form issues on all of her passes except her double back.. which L9's can compete. And she fell out of most of her spins. It just frustrates me that Aliya was scored better when her routine did not really improve that much execution wise. Meanwhile Skinner hit the routine of her life and her score stayed the same. I know her execution is far from perfect, but I can't help but feel that she was underscored a bit. Hopefully she uses this as motivation to get better and better.

Now Mustafina was straight gifted her beam bronze, IMO.

Agreed. Aliya might have upped her start value, but her routine was just kind of sloppy? Her landings weren't great and she had form issues on all of her passes except her double back.. which L9's can compete. And she fell out of most of her spins. It just frustrates me that Aliya was scored better when her routine did not really improve that much execution wise. Meanwhile Skinner hit the routine of her life and her score stayed the same. I know her execution is far from perfect, but I can't help but feel that she was underscored a bit. Hopefully she uses this as motivation to get better and better.

Now Mustafina was straight gifted her beam bronze, IMO.
Personally I am not a fan of the fact Musty only throws three tumbling passes, but normally she makes up for it with her dance. Today her dance was sloppy and IMO was overscored. Mykayla did say in her interview that this has inspired her to really work on her execution and dance, so hopefully she will be back even stronger next year.

I haven't watched beam yet. I read Iordache fell and couldn't bring myself to watch it. I will say I don't understand how you can medal without having a flight series, but that's none of my business *Kermit sips tea*

Latest posts

Back