OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yeah, in my hypothetical team line-ups I was pulling Aly off UB for Laurie to go all around. That's the only way she would have qualified. Yes, she beat Aly at trials but we knew her high scores at trials wouldn't quite hold up internationally. With Aly in the mix, she wasn't going to qualify.

And everyone saying "what does Gabby even bring to the team?" realizes she missed all around to Aly by 0.4 right? 2 full points above the next best gymnast? Like y'all are acting as if she fell down on everything and sabotaged Team USA. As long as she stayed on beam, I knew she was going to kill it, hence my prayers before beam.

She's not miserable, she doesn't hate her team, and she's doing a great job.

Yeah, in my hypothetical team line-ups I was pulling Aly off UB for Laurie to go all around. That's the only way she would have qualified. Yes, she beat Aly at trials but we knew her high scores at trials wouldn't quite hold up internationally. With Aly in the mix, she wasn't going to qualify.

And everyone saying "what does Gabby even bring to the team?" realizes she missed all around to Aly by 0.4 right? 2 full points above the next best gymnast? Like y'all are acting as if she fell down on everything and sabotaged Team USA. As long as she stayed on beam, I knew she was going to kill it, hence my prayers before beam.

She's not miserable, she doesn't hate her team, and she's doing a great job.

AMEN

@NJ Coach, I definitely agree with your statements on the Gabby vs Laurie AA- I immediately knew Marta was going to choose the oldest gymnasts on the team, particularly Gabby due to her being the 2012 AA champion... The probability that Aly and Gabby will continue after Rio is slim to none, but Laurie mentioned she wanted to comeback for Tokyo...So, I am relieved that at least Gabby would not be a retired athlete with the woulda, shoulda, coulda attitude had Marta not choose her for the 3rd AA spot.

Furthermore, the conversation of 2 athlete per country makes rethinking the rule possible with the 3rd place athlete being eliminated from competition...Tbh, I wonder why change a rule now, especially the rule promotes inclusion of developing countries in the sport...

I think the top eight of the all around and the top 3 in each apparatus should be exempt from two per country.

They can't make it any more than 2 per country cause then one country would sweep the medals. I actually think we're lucky they don't make it one per country - especially in the EF where only 8 make it in.

They can't make it any more than 2 per country cause then one country would sweep the medals. I actually think we're lucky they don't make it one per country - especially in the EF where only 8 make it in.

Admittedly I know that I'll be the type of parent that won't want my kid to have a participation trophy.....so I'm very harsh on this topic

But for some track and field events we qualify 3 athletes. In some track events it could very well be the case that America sweeps the podium.

We already limit athletes in the Olympic qualifying process. Why keep handicapping the process at the actual games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who cares if they sweep the medals if they actually deserve it?

Also, this would happen so rarely it's barely worth doing. I just don't see the point of having someone who scored FIVE POINTS lower than the third-best American (that's almost half a routine!) have a chance at winning the all-around and our girl gets left off.

b88ff971e147f2ef78924f205fbf553e8b0986ee4a078cca67610e3d865c008d.jpg

The Ukraine situation was so odd, especially while it was happening live. The official statement is interesting, because during the live feed the commentators were saying that if there was an injury there were 2 other athletes who could be used. Either way, you're an idiot if you don't change the line up the minute you hear that one of your athletes is going to the hospital.

The USA men's team needs new leadership - or a ranch. The skill and overall execution are there, but I was ready to implode watching the little mistakes and the landings. It's like the men and women teams are from two different countries with their culture and training.

And I'm stressed with every commentator saying the gold is a lock for the US women. They are so darn good, but anything can happen and I'm a firm believer in jinxes.

The Ukraine situation was so odd, especially while it was happening live. The official statement is interesting, because during the live feed the commentators were saying that if there was an injury there were 2 other athletes who could be used. Either way, you're an idiot if you don't change the line up the minute you hear that one of your athletes is going to the hospital.

The USA men's team needs new leadership - or a ranch. The skill and overall execution are there, but I was ready to implode watching the little mistakes and the landings. It's like the men and women teams are from two different countries with their culture and training.

And I'm stressed with every commentator saying the gold is a lock for the US women. They are so darn good, but anything can happen and I'm a firm believer in jinxes.

A Ranch and Simone's sports therapist

A Ranch and Simone's sports therapist

I really like their coach this year. I think he has the right mindset, he just needs some support to get the guys where they need to be. I liked that he took out some of the skills they guys struggled on, and he really has the guys backs.

A ranch system wouldn't be a bad idea, but would be a lot harder to implement since a number of the guys on the national team are older and also compete in NCAA simultaneously. It could probably be tweaked and done, though.

I think they need a Martha-like figure. Someone who can dedicate 100% of their time to the team. Scouting, keeping tabs on other countries and crunching scoring numbers. It seems like there's no accountability in the program. If someone is slacking, Martha knows. If a guy is slacking, they say WELP FINGERS CROSSED and send them on to international competition anyway.

And yes, a good sports psychologist.

Last edited:
Piggybacking on @gofriars610 earlier statement about choosing athletes contending for AA, I agree that the way they are choosing athletes now does not represent the very best contending and hurt feelings for many athletes not picked who are in the top 10... I think, if they are going to choose the top 24, it should be the highest 24 scores regardless of the country, furthermore, like swimming (2 athletes per country) track(3 athletes per country) to allow the country to initially choose their very best athletes to compete, it seems to implement this rules will make it fair and cuts down on hard feelings... The fact that the Olympics is a 4 year event, the 2 per country regardless of performance makes it way too harsh and a career burner.

Last edited:
Back