All-Star Asga Meeting - Chicago, Il

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Rudags

Two Time Defending Champion, Board Comedian
Dec 14, 2009
Hey everyone. I am going to do my best to keep everyone updated on the ASGA meeting. Im not really ever on twitter, but if you would like to follow updates, I will be posting updates on twitter. My twitter is @kylegadke - I am not very twitter savvy so if you have a question, or what not, please post questions in here and I will do my best to get answers. I think its important to ask the hard questions.

Last night the big thing discussed was what is the ASGA and what are we about? The answer. "US." "US" meaning gym owners. Ill try to check Fierceboard periodically, but check out twitter to see whats going on, whats being discussed and what classes I am attending.

Rudags Thank you! I told TwistersPride to take notes for me. I will be at a USASF open house meeting in Baton Rouge today. I'm hoping to keep up with the ASGA mtg while I'm there. Maybe I can get some hard questions to ask at the USASF meeting....

I feel so left out in the Northeast! I am going to say thank you in advance for the conversations that these meetings will begin, but also that I am jealous that these meetings aren't taking place in my neck of the woods!

Only one meeting so far. My twitter will be better updated in after lunch meeting

Bump. Anything going on? I haven't been on twitter or facebook yet so my apologies if its there.

The meeting ended last night. I will post more about it a little later. It was a phenomenal meeting. I think its safe to say it was very inspirational and instored passion to everyone.

At least everyone got a pretty good look at our CrossFit room... :cow:

At least everyone got a pretty good look at our CrossFit room... :cow:

Hahaha... When I saw it I thought "I bet people are going to wonder why there is a wood backdrop..."

Overall, it was a great meeting. I left with lots of ideas, and I recommend any coach or owner to go if there is one near them.

Is there anyway that we can get notes, or an overview of what was discussed? In the video it says to check the website, but there isn't any information on their either. It would be awesome if the meetings in the future were broadcast online.

Is there anyway that we can get notes, or an overview of what was discussed? In the video it says to check the website, but there isn't any information on their either. It would be awesome if the meetings in the future were broadcast online.

Here is what I posted about it somewhere else. Obviously there were many other things, but these are a few that stuck with me as a coach/owner:

I'll share. Personally, I loved it. A group of us went to dinner Friday night and I feel like I have a totally different view of our industry now based on the stories I heard. It's time to get educated on what is going on, and start making decisions about the companies you want to support.
Here are some of the ideas I really loved that were thrown out.
1. Base Appreciation Week: Since we are so focused on flyers, everything usually revolves around them. Turn the tables, and have your flyers do something nice for the bases to thank them. For the week, praise bases. Have another team come in, watch, and cheer on the bases instead of the flyers. Make them feel important.
2. Courtney casually talked about her gym parents and their relationships with each other. One of the things that stuck out was her saying "honestly, the kids are indifferent about cheer. But the parents are so invested that there is no way those kids will leave." She talked about how the parents have parties, social gatherings, and tons of other stuff so that they are all friends outside of the gym. They are friends, and for some of those parents, that is their social network. She has a lunch on Thursdays in different cities, and any parent is welcome to come. They don't talk cheer for the most part, but she gets to hear tidbits on info from them that sometimes help her get an idea of what they are feeling/thinking. She also has parties at her house and invites the parents. She said "They might talk about me, and I can't stop that, but if I'm inviting them into my home maybe they'll think twice about it."
3. Welcome Committee: For parents that come into your gym, it's often a little crazy because your parents already have little cliques. If you have a parent that is willing and really awesome and welcoming, make them the welcome committee for new parents. They can show the new parents the ropes, introduce them, and hopefully help them feel more adjusted and welcome.

Those are three things that you might be able to bring back into your gym that I liked. Otherwise, just get informed. That's all I can stress. The meeting was in no way anti-varsity or anti-USASF, it was pro-gym. It was making your gym better and more successful, and what you can do to help yourself stay afloat. I heard great things about Randy's talk to the coaches about being a great employee, so if anyone can touch on that I would love to hear it.

Back