Awkward Friendships

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 9, 2012
One of my best guy friends from my cheer team has been acting really weird lately. We are like best friends, we go to each others house and everything but two days ago at practice he asked me out. He is a grade above me and I kinda think in to young to be dating so I said when I get in the grade he is in now, if he still wants to then I said ok because I do like him. But now things are really awkward and we haven't been talking as much. When we do talk, I can't look them in the eye now that I know, but I don't want our friendship to be ruined. Also another problem is that I have another guy on my cheer team (total of 2) that likes me and has asked me out also. Things are always awkward at practices!! The thing is that both the guys on my team is like best friends and I don't think they know that they both like me. It's so awkward...any advice!?!?!

One of my best guy friends from my cheer team has been acting really weird lately. We are like best friends, we go to each others house and everything but two days ago at practice he asked me out. He is a grade above me and I kinda think in to young to be dating so I said when I get in the grade he is in now, if he still wants to then I said ok because I do like him. But now things are really awkward and we haven't been talking as much. When we do talk, I can't look them in the eye now that I know, but I don't want our friendship to be ruined. Also another problem is that I have another guy on my cheer team (total of 2) that likes me and has asked me out also. Things are always awkward at practices!! The thing is that both the guys on my team is like best friends and I don't think they know that they both like me. It's so awkward...any advice!?!?!
Wait, there are two straight guys on your cheer team? I jest, I jest.
This is life, unfortunately. When people spend a lot of time togther in an activity, quite often feelings develop and may only be one sided. The Boy #1 put himself out there by asking you out, and even though you didn't tell him you did not like him, you still in a way rejected him by not going out with him now. And you did nothing wrong - teenage boys are fragile emotional beings despite many of their actions that would make you think otherwise - you can't feel responsible for this. Plus if Boy #2 likes you as well and they are best friends, they probably do know the other one likes you.
You may just have to deal with the awkwardness for a while and in the meantime hang out with the girlies until it passes. Your friendship with Boy #1 may not go back to where it was but hopefully you can get to a place where a level of comfort returns. And when you are ready to date, you might want to find someone who is not a teammate.

My high school team had 4 straight (as far as we know to this date and time) guys on it. I know... craziness.

Dating a guy on your team never works out! I was on a coed team in high school (yes, there were a few of those back in the dark ages of the early-mid 90s) and there was a couple on our team. When they broke up, it caused problems on our team. Then in college I fell into that trap. Ended up marrying my stunt partner. Now we're divorced. Every other couple from our college team, broke up and it caused problems within the team.

Dating a guy on your team never works out! I was on a coed team in high school (yes, there were a few of those back in the dark ages of the early-mid 90s) and there was a couple on our team. When they broke up, it caused problems on our team. Then in college I fell into that trap. Ended up marrying my stunt partner. Now we're divorced. Every other couple from our college team, broke up and it caused problems within the team.

THIS! The exact same thing happened on our team multiple times when couples broke up. It actually made me quite nervous for the athletes when the base and flyer wouldn't talk to eachother (due to a recent break up) and were actually using spotters etc to say 'A... can you tell B that I'm going to cradle now'.... not much fun. Lots of partner stunt couples seem to date, but it can be so hard to lose your relationship and your stunt partner at the same time if things don't work out.

We have one boy in my gym, and he doesn't want to be a boy lol...part of our required practice wear was a pair of yoga shorts that had "carolina spirit" in rhinestones on the back, and a black tank top with the same in rhinestones, and he was so mad that he couldn't get the set haha...his mom always says he "just wants to be one of the girls". love him. :D

just a little story for yall to stew over in your minds about why you shouldn't date a teammate, so heregoes...

teammate A: lets call him josh
teammate B: lets call her Kayla

okay so lets give y'all a little background info on Josh, Josh cheered on his high school team the year before he started at my gym. now josh was a football player and only joined originally because he was dared to do so (or so the story goes) any who after being on the team with the girls for a year he fell in love 'with the sport' and decided to do allstars due to much persuading of the high school teammates that also went to the gym. so Josh joins the team in his senior year and ends up having multiple flirtations and so on with the freshman girls on our team. after those flirtations ended up going 'no where' josh decided he wanted to date Kayla. Kayla and Josh dated for a little bit in secret just to make sure if anything bad happened nobody would know and they could hide the situation. so after 'being in hiding' word eventually got out that the two of them were dating. naturally nobody on the team was thrilled mainly because we were angry with Josh for working his way around the gym but also because we knew Kayla was still really immature and wasn't able to handle a relationship with him. so after dating for a couple months the two started to spat back and forth with one another to the point that we had to take Josh out of her stunt groups because it was causing one to many issues. not to long afterwards Josh and Kayla ended up breaking up because of alleged cheating on Josh's behalf. fast forward to a week after the breakup we had two practices where Josh was a no show this was apparently due to him having "football practice" (which me and half the team knew was false because we went to the same high school and Josh and i would talk during class and he would laugh at how big of a joke the team was and how he wasn't coming back no matter how hard me and the other girls tried to persuade him). So after a week of him ditching practices the whole team had to rearrange and rework the team one week before nationals, our final competition of the year all due to the fact that Josh was to embarrassed to show his face in the gym and deal with the coaches and the rest of the team.

long story short DO NOT DATE TEAMMATES MID SEASON OR AT ALL

We have one boy in my gym, and he doesn't want to be a boy lol...part of our required practice wear was a pair of yoga shorts that had "carolina spirit" in rhinestones on the back, and a black tank top with the same in rhinestones, and he was so mad that he couldn't get the set haha...his mom always says he "just wants to be one of the girls". love him. :D
Funny... my roommate just wrote a paper on how society hands out gender roles and that we are forced to follow them and her P.O.V. was that if they wanna be something they're not... let them. I think one of the direct quotes was "If I wanted to be a boy, I would hope my friends would want me to be a boy too"

Back