Back Handspring Troubles!!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 12, 2012
Okay so recently (last week) i learnt how to do a back handspring without a spotter.
But now i got my friend to video it and i realized that when i jump backwards i jump sideways, so not in a straight line back. Its not that i'm looking over my shoulder is just as i jump, my body moves to the side. Anybody know how to help me improve this? I have 10 weeks till next try-outs and i need to have a perfect front/back handspring and I'm only halfway there :(
Much appreciated if you can tell me in full detail what is really happening and how i can fix it??
Cheers!!!

You may be swinging one arm faster or harder than the other, and/or pushing off one leg faster or harder than the other. If you could post a video, I'm sure we could help you out more! Congrats on doing it by yourself though! :)

I know it is not the same thing, but when I do back handsprings in the water that sometimes happens. Make sure your body is completely straight (not legs a little off to the side, etc) ad make sure to swing both your arms at the same time and using the same force.

Great job fro getting it:) lots of people have this problem. Just like what CheerKarina said, make sure you are evenly distributing your weight so you won't go to one side!

One of my cheerleaders also has the same problem. Her problem is that she is pushing off one foot and not the other. Almost like she is doing a lib before her backflip. It's strange but we just keep practicing it with her and pointing it out. Try using a hair tie to keep your feet together, just put it around your ankles, this will help to see if you are pushing off your feet differently, just use a spotter to be safe. If thats not it then do the same thing with your wrists, again using a spotter. Good Luck

you may be pushing off one leg/arm more than the other because you feel this is your stronger side and you feel safer. If this is the case you should build up more strength on the opposite side so you feel equally safe and can travel in a straight line.

Back