Back Handspring Troubles :(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 17, 2012
Last season, I was on level 4.2 and our coaches didn't really push us to get our back handsprings (or any tumbling skills at all). If you had it, then good, if not, whatever. But now I'm at a different gym and it's my last year cheering and I really want to get it. But, I'm having trouble with my elbows. They're double jointed, and when I go back on my hands, it feels like my elbow bends outwards (like opposite of how it should, I'm not really sure how to explain it), they make like a crunching/cracking noise, with a sharp pain. It's strong enough to make me stop for a bit, but my elbows stay sore for a few days. It happens every time my spotter lightens up some, and it causes me to unlock my arms and pretty much fall on my head lol.
It could have nothing to do with my elbows being double jointed, but I don't know what to do to fix it. Any advice will be appreciated! :D

Well, I don't know if this will help, but don't lock your arms out fully, if you know what I mean! Because if you're totally locking your arms, then of course, they're going to pop outwards because you're double-jointed. There's a girl on my team that is also double-jointed and she can never "fully" lock out her arms or they look weird while she's flying. Instead, try to push through your shoulders so all of the weight isn't put on your hands and elbows, this should help with some problems.

I hope that helped at least a little bit!! And I hope it wasn't too confusing! Good luck, I'm sure you'll get your BHS in no time!! :)

Definitely wasn't too confusing lol! That totally makes sense. Thank you so much! I'll make sure to try that when I'm at the gym :D

I have problems with my elbows too! I tore one up doing a bh at a competition last year and it hasn't been the same since, but I've noticed when my body is tighter and I'm blocking more, it happens less. I think working on technique will help :)

I have problems with my elbows too! I tore one up doing a bh at a competition last year and it hasn't been the same since, but I've noticed when my body is tighter and I'm blocking more, it happens less. I think working on technique will help :)
Awe I'm sorry to hear about your elbows! Thank you! I'll definitely work on that :)

Hi there, one girl on my team also have the same problem and she told me that she fix it pushing through shoulders and squishing the biceps more than the tricepts to avoid go further than a regular range of movement.
Hope this can help you.

Hi there, one girl on my team also have the same problem and she told me that she fix it pushing through shoulders and squishing the biceps more than the tricepts to avoid go further than a regular range of movement.
Hope this can help you.
I'll try that as well! thank you! :D

Have you ever considered trying to angle your hands inward a bit when you reach for your handspring? Also, in addition to angling your hands, try to over-exaggerate how much you lock out your arms and block through your shoulders. This may feel weird at first, but once you condition it, the muscles in your arms will get accustomed to it and it will become second nature. Hope this works out for ya :)

Have you ever considered trying to angle your hands inward a bit when you reach for your handspring? Also, in addition to angling your hands, try to over-exaggerate how much you lock out your arms and block through your shoulders. This may feel weird at first, but once you condition it, the muscles in your arms will get accustomed to it and it will become second nature. Hope this works out for ya :)
omg that makes so much sense. I'll keep all that in mind as well. Thank you! :D

I used to have the same problem!
My elbows are double jointed!
Its kind of confusing because my elbows turn out like in the middle of the bhs. I found that if i pushed off a second earlier it didnt hurt. I also snap my legs under right as my hands hit the floor. By doing those, my arms didnt have to hold as much weight.
Hope this helped!

I used to have the same problem!
My elbows are double jointed!
Its kind of confusing because my elbows turn out like in the middle of the bhs. I found that if i pushed off a second earlier it didnt hurt. I also snap my legs under right as my hands hit the floor. By doing those, my arms didnt have to hold as much weight.
Hope this helped!
Thank you! I'll try that as well :)

Back