All-Star BHS forearm pain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2023
My daughter is getting past her mental block on BHS finally. She smashes them on trampoline/tumble track and has got a round off BHS on the mat. However she experiences pain in her forearms when doing them on the mat. She is certain this is to do with her form. She notices when she hits right the pain isn't there but when she hits wrong it causes excruciating pain to build up in her forearms. Problem is the pain is making her hesitate before doing a BHS which then leads to her cutting the angle, which in turn causes the pain and it's a vicious circle.

Has anyone got any tips on how to avoid this? Maybe supports that might help when she's getting angle wrong to minimise pain so she can work towards building confidence which should help with getting the angle right

I think when she's on the floor she's panicking a bit and despite her technique being flawless when she has a spot or on the trampoline alone she's bending her arms when she's on the floor

Not being a medical professional, I can see where depending on how severe the bend in her arms are it could cause pain but again, I would have to see it.

Find a good PT who works with gymnasts and can look at her form. They can help identify issues and suggest exercises or ways to tape/brace to provide support.

My daughter developed left wrist/forearm pain (tendonitis) with her bhs. A PT identified her hypermobility and noticed her left knee cap pulled outward everytime she bent her knees. She was given a patella stabilizing brace, strength exercises for her knee, and her arm pain ceased. Her left arm was compensating for a weaker left side jump.

IMG_2593.jpeg

You can see the bend in the photo on the image above I think because of the pain she is trying to rush the move and not getting her angle back right. She can do it perfectly on the trampoline or with a spot even when the spot is doing nothing more than just placing their hand their. However the minute she does it in her own she bends her arms

Back