Back Tuck Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 10, 2012
I have a really good back handspring, and I have a lot of power, but I really have issues with setting up before my tuck. I just like to whip my self around and the only way I'm getting over is because I rotate really fast. any tips?

I struggled with this for a long time. I was just impatient with my set and kind of afraid of the height! What helped me was to go with 8-counts, with 1 being when my hands hit the ground in my roundoff. Your set should start at 5. I told myself, "you can't tuck until 7." So I'd go,
Run 5-6
Hurdle 7-8
Hands 1
Feet 2
Hands 3
Feet 4
Set 5
Freeze 6!
Tuck 7-8.

It forced me to spot in front of me and wait before I tuck. It was hard to grasp at first, but you can always try it on the tumble track, with a spotter, etc so there is that wiggle room. Once you get it down, layouts and beyond become so much simpler!

you need to learn how to pull your body up instead of back. Also you need to realize how to use your legs to get your body over instead of using your head and your hips. All of this can be done with spotting and drills

I struggled with this for a long time. I was just impatient with my set and kind of afraid of the height! What helped me was to go with 8-counts, with 1 being when my hands hit the ground in my roundoff. Your set should start at 5. I told myself, "you can't tuck until 7." So I'd go,
Run 5-6
Hurdle 7-8
Hands 1
Feet 2
Hands 3
Feet 4
Set 5
Freeze 6!
Tuck 7-8.

It forced me to spot in front of me and wait before I tuck. It was hard to grasp at first, but you can always try it on the tumble track, with a spotter, etc so there is that wiggle room. Once you get it down, layouts and beyond become so much simpler!
thank you!

before you take your pass, find something on the wall to look at like a poster and when you set make sure you look at that spot for as long as you can until you see your knees, then flip. this helps to keep you from whipping back. keep your arms by your ears when you set

Back