Backhandspring Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 29, 2012
Any suggestions on drills for fixing this backhandspring (or different ways of explaining how to manipulate her body to the correct position)? Specifically she was asking how to fix her bent and apart legs last night but the handstand position with her head sticking out is another one. She is a backyard tumbler who has bad habits with incorrect muscle memory so at this point, any correction is hard for her to make the change.

I have done drill after drill, going back to the cheese mat or trampoline and the head position will be better with a quick and powerful snapdown but legs are still bent at the point her hands hit and then "kick" straight as she snaps down with feet together.

she may want to work on some body awareness and strength exercises. If she lays on the ground and squeezes her body and someone lifts her legs up and holds them up, she wants to work on squeezing to keep a straight line through the torso rather than piking at the hips. Also if she has her legs together and someone tries to pull them apart (like scissors) she should be able to resist. She can work on resisting for a longer time, or a harder pull. My coach taught us these exercises; also I don't recommend this should be done anywhere at home as it requires a very soft and thick resi pit mat (personal experience). Hope that helps! you probably allready know these exersices but I thought I would post it just in case. ;)

Her feet are behind her in the back handspring, I like to use a panel mat and have my girls just put their toes/middle of their feet up on the mat with the heel on the ground and throw the backhand spring like that. It forces them to go back. Hope this helps!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Any suggestions on drills for fixing this backhandspring (or different ways of explaining how to manipulate her body to the correct position)? Specifically she was asking how to fix her bent and apart legs last night but the handstand position with her head sticking out is another one. She is a backyard tumbler who has bad habits with incorrect muscle memory so at this point, any correction is hard for her to make the change.

I have done drill after drill, going back to the cheese mat or trampoline and the head position will be better with a quick and powerful snapdown but legs are still bent at the point her hands hit and then "kick" straight as she snaps down with feet together.

The backhandspring wasn't as bad as I thought it would be after reading the description! The things that stick out to me is the first half is really undercut and the second half snap down needs work as you said. Posting a video with some gymnastics drills I started using a few years ago. Helps fix the shoulder and head in the snap down. As for stretching out the first half, I usually have them do jump back drills, or get a mail box mat that they have to handspring over. I also will spot and pull them back in their jump so they get a feel for what I'm talking about.

Back