All-Star Bad At Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 12, 2012
I have a dilemma, I cheer on a senior 2 team and all of the girls (except me) have basic tumbling and can do it well (cartwheels dive rolls etc) These are only low level skills and most people have been able to do them since they were tiny, but I can't, and it really upsets me.

It's like I seem to have this block, where I'm scared to do it incase I hurt myself. I'm also scared to do it incase people laugh because I can't do something so simple. I really do want to be able to tumble, it's such an impressive thing to watch and do and I'd like to be able to learn new skills without having panic attacks. Has anyone got any tips on how I could get over this 'block' ? :(

I have a dilemma, I cheer on a senior 2 team and all of the girls (except me) have basic tumbling and can do it well (cartwheels dive rolls etc) These are only low level skills and most people have been able to do them since they were tiny, but I can't, and it really upsets me.

It's like I seem to have this block, where I'm scared to do it incase I hurt myself. I'm also scared to do it incase people laugh because I can't do something so simple. I really do want to be able to tumble, it's such an impressive thing to watch and do and I'd like to be able to learn new skills without having panic attacks. Has anyone got any tips on how I could get over this 'block' ? :(

Firstly, you shouldn't be afraid of people laughing at you because there will always be a point where they couldn't do the skill, and also they're your teammates so will be supportive :) But if you find that this still affects you then maybe you could try going to a tumbling class at a different gym so you don't have the pressure of your friends watching you?

Like I said above, if you go to a tumbling class (rather than open gym) then there will be coaches there to talk you through it, help you and spot you if you want :)

Good luck!

Firstly, you shouldn't be afraid of people laughing at you because there will always be a point where they couldn't do the skill, and also they're your teammates so will be supportive :) But if you find that this still affects you then maybe you could try going to a tumbling class at a different gym so you don't have the pressure of your friends watching you?

Like I said above, if you go to a tumbling class (rather than open gym) then there will be coaches there to talk you through it, help you and spot you if you want :)

Good luck!

Thankyou :) My team are very supportive, but I just have bad experiences from my old squad where they used to talk about you behind your back so that didn't help my confidence either :p

I have jumps to tuck and I cannot do a back walkover to save my life. I really wish I could but I can't. Don't let it get you down. People laugh at me all the time "Hahaha you can't do a back walkover" I've learned to just laugh with them, because honestly if you watched me attempt to do one you would probably laugh to. If you really want the skills then just work on them! You can't let your fear for failure (people making fun of you) get in the way of what you want to do. Maybe try some private lessons so then you don't have to worry about people watching you besides the coach and I've always though that I get a lot of out them too. Good luck!!

Any new skill that puts you in a physical position (tumbling, climbing, volleyball), is best learned in an environment that's supportive and nurturing, particularly if you have issues with trust and security. Do you have a coach you really like? Is there a gym nearby with quality coaches? Sometimes it's hard to learn a new skill when you're more concerned with your impression than you are with what you're trying to do. Once you're in a more comfortable environment, it should help your growth.

I had the hardest time learning to sing, as it's something I really want but I'm ok at. I'm also HORRENDOUSLY insecure about my voice..it took me finding someone who I felt comfy with before I could sing.

Maybe try signing up for a private to try the skills in a private setting? That might help you get over the fear of even just trying it, and that way you'll have someone to help you fix those skills after you try!

Latest posts

Back