All-Star Bad Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This isn't related to World's sportsmanship specifically, but I have had more than my fill of encounters with bad sportsmanship. My team would do a random draw and do a gift basket or goody bag for 3 teams every competition in hopes of spreading good sportsmanship and bonding with other teams in the industry. We would fill it with candy and every squad member had to make a spirit filled good luck card in that squad's colors. Some of my kids would make HUGE cards and some small and everything was in the team's colors we were giving it to. They LOVED doing it.

We have had mixed reactions to it. Most team's just politely said "thank you". Some team's didn't say anything and just stared at us like we were idiots.

One team (who lived in the city closest to us) their coaches gave it back to us and said they didn't wish to accept it. Then they went back over to their team and they kept laughing at us and giving us nasty looks. That same team won the Sportsmanship award at that competition (Cheer Power Northeast Nationals), which was absurd!

Despite this occurring, it still didn't damper our Spirits because at that same competition we were approached by a coach who was in tears because she was so touched by our gift for the squad. She made each squad member thank us individually. She then went on to say that they are a fairly new squad and don't really know any other teams and haven't been treated very well by some competitors. It really made their day that we did that. They even sat on the side and cheered us on during our performance, and we did the same for them.

We continued the tradition every year until I closed, but we never received another reaction such as we did from that team that was so appreciative. I wish more coaches would make Good Sportsmanship a priority and not gossip or add to the problem. I guess some people never grow up and will always turn their nose up at others. I feel sad for them. What a pathetic life they must lead.

Were your teams in Atlanta for Cheersport? If so I have pictures of your team giving Gymtyme a large basket and card in the Gyms room. We could not thank your girls enough.

Were your teams in Atlanta for Cheersport? If so I have pictures of your team giving Gymtyme a large basket and card in the Gyms room. We could not thank your girls enough.

No, we only did Ohio comps. Our budget didn't really allow us to travel out of state unfortunately. I'm glad someone gave your teams a basket though :) ! It is a sweet gesture and I hope more teams start doing it. It is so much fun to interact with other teams and meet people from all over that love the same sport we do. At the end of the day, we are all there because we LOVE cheerleading and I wish the competitiveness didn't get in the way of this common bond as much as it does sometimes.

@gymncheercoach I think that is such a cool idea. And what a way to initiate contact between teams. (I'm stunned y'all had that one horrible experience with a team.) I am going to mention that to our team mom to take to the coach, I love it.

Oh . .. I don't know about y'all
But the FierceChat sure did encounter a lot of dramas and bitterness. . .
We were stalking from a lot of twitter pages and facebook statuses. . .and a lot of us reported some . . .they weren't really that nice to read . . . We're not sure tho, if those people were actually them . . or just fake accounts . . .but this happened after Large Senior awards were announced. . . . I don't know . . . but if they were true. . . it would definitely change my opinion about these girls . . . [girls from this specific team] . . .

I'm willing to bet a good majority of those were fakes. Do you know how many fake Erica Englebert facebook pages exist? and she's just one athlete....anyone can say they're someone else, unless someone's absolutely positive they have the right person I'm personally gonna give them the benefit of the doubt.

As far as some of the "fans", a good majority of them are kids and even though it's still not ok, it's a lot different than the actual athletes and/or family members of said teams talking trash....so I'm leery of those "fans".

As far as good sportsmanship, I was really proud of Cali Bullets. They were our competition and they were watching us warm up and wished us luck with sincerity. We were sure to reciprocate. Seconds before we went on Kiara ran up to us and gave a few of our guys a quick good luck hug. Just a shout-out to great sportsmanship.

Agreed- we all signed up for a SUBJECTIVE sport. It's not a matter of who hit the winning run or made the winning touchdown. There is an element of opinion to cheer that will always be! We sign up for it and we, as coaches, cheerleaders and fans alike, need to accept the results with grace and class. Those negative feelings are hard to ignore sometimes, especially at the level of Worlds, but keep them to yourself and OFF the Internet!
disagree! The score sheet is objective. We as coaches, athletes, and parents should expect just and equitable, OBJECTIVE judging according to the rules and score sheet. This is what we pay for! There is some element of subjectivity in this sport as all sports, an umpire calls balls and strikes, referees throw penalty flags etc. And Twitter, Facebook, and Fierce Boards is exactly the place where people can have opinions and express them. Funny, that you recognize the element of opinion in cheer, yet you don't like it when cheerleaders EXPRESS their opinion.

disagree! The score sheet is objective. We as coaches, athletes, and parents should expect just and equitable, OBJECTIVE judging according to the rules and score sheet. This is what we pay for! There is some element of subjectivity in this sport as all sports, an umpire calls balls and strikes, referees throw penalty flags etc. And Twitter, Facebook, and Fierce Boards is exactly the place where people can have opinions and express them. Funny, that you recognize the element of opinion in cheer, yet you don't like it when cheerleaders EXPRESS their opinion.
There is a huge difference between expressing an opinion and being hurtful, rude and unsportsmanlike.

This isn't related to World's sportsmanship specifically, but I have had more than my fill of encounters with bad sportsmanship. My team would do a random draw and do a gift basket or goody bag for 3 teams every competition in hopes of spreading good sportsmanship and bonding with other teams in the industry. We would fill it with candy and every squad member had to make a spirit filled good luck card in that squad's colors. Some of my kids would make HUGE cards and some small and everything was in the team's colors we were giving it to. They LOVED doing it.

We have had mixed reactions to it. Most team's just politely said "thank you". Some team's didn't say anything and just stared at us like we were idiots.

One team (who lived in the city closest to us) their coaches gave it back to us and said they didn't wish to accept it. Then they went back over to their team and they kept laughing at us and giving us nasty looks. That same team won the Sportsmanship award at that competition (Cheer Power Northeast Nationals), which was absurd!

Despite this occurring, it still didn't damper our Spirits because at that same competition we were approached by a coach who was in tears because she was so touched by our gift for the squad. She made each squad member thank us individually. She then went on to say that they are a fairly new squad and don't really know any other teams and haven't been treated very well by some competitors. It really made their day that we did that. They even sat on the side and cheered us on during our performance, and we did the same for them.

We continued the tradition every year until I closed, but we never received another reaction such as we did from that team that was so appreciative. I wish more coaches would make Good Sportsmanship a priority and not gossip or add to the problem. I guess some people never grow up and will always turn their nose up at others. I feel sad for them. What a pathetic life they must lead.

Just wanted to say I think what you did was awesome. What a great example you have set for those girls.

i love that Stingray orange came and congratulated panthers after there win!
We(panthers) congradulated them at NCA.
i think its good that we respect each other enough to show really great sportsmanship!:)

Thanks!! Haha.
but why?! just askin!? :):):D

No problem! It shows that you are pretty much normal people. A lot of things are said about teams without realizing that you are human. You have feelings and you mess up. I'm a teen too and I couldn't even imagine being in your spot haha. I hope when and if I get on a level 5 team I won't be talked about :p

Hahah, thanks! it is very hard, but i think being on these teams, you have to learn how to look past all of it!
it sometimes makes me mad so i just get off. lol but, our coaches even tell us, do something crazy good, make them talk about it on fierceboard. haha
i really appreciate it!!:):p

Back