All-Star Bangkok Winning

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've been waiting for someone to just go ahead and say what I'm sure a lot of us are thinking....but since nobody said it yet...in these words.. I will do it. I volunteer as tribute.....

The USASF basically affirmative action-ed a win for Bangkok. There. Welcome to America.

They're great, they were fabulous, they're a total joy to watch....they still should not have been in 1st.
You're still on fire. >slow clap<

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I've been waiting for someone to just go ahead and say what I'm sure a lot of us are thinking....but since nobody said it yet...in these words.. I will do it. I volunteer as tribute.....

The USASF basically affirmative action-ed a win for Bangkok. There. Welcome to America.

They're great, they were fabulous, they're a total joy to watch....they still should not have been in 1st.

I was going to call it cheerfirmative action, but yes.

2h6g0ug.png
[/IMG] The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Last edited:
Is there a way (maybe not now, but right after getting the scores/deductions for a coach to raise their hand and say: Wait, USASF officials, this is wrong? Tumbling score: Tucks and Layouts versus standing fulls and running doubles? Toe touch tucks 1/3 of team versus majority jumps to tuck and some jumps to full? Groupstunts/Assisted stunts versus coed stunting? Missing spotters while pyramids all over the place?

I think, if it's one section/stunt/legality that you're side-eying - okay.
But if you can't write a list about how the scores can't be right: You should have a way to highly question it and be heard.

Admitting in private you were wrong? That doesn't even deserve a slow clap, USASF, because most of us aren't as blind as you wish we were and being able to re-watch it on video a couple times brings out more and more the judges must have accidently missed :-/

Is there a way (maybe not now, but right after getting the scores/deductions for a coach to raise their hand and say: Wait, USASF officials, this is wrong? Tumbling score: Tucks and Layouts versus standing fulls and running doubles? Toe touch tucks 1/3 of team versus majority jumps to tuck and some jumps to full? Groupstunts/Assisted stunts versus coed stunting? Missing spotters while pyramids all over the place?

I think, if it's one section/stunt/legality that you're side-eying - okay.
But if you can't write a list about how the scores can't be right: You should have a way to highly question it and be heard.

Admitting in private you were wrong? That doesn't even deserve a slow clap, USASF, because most of us aren't as blind as you wish we were and being able to re-watch it on video a couple times brings out more and more the judges must have accidently missed :-/

Hm, I have had coaches argue to the judges about their own team's score, but I wonder if there is an actual way to dispute another teams score when something is really, obviously wrong.
I bet there isn't, because that'd mean admitting a fault, but there really should be a process for it.

Hm, I have had coaches argue to the judges about their own team's score, but I wonder if there is an actual way to dispute another teams score when something is really, obviously wrong.
I bet there isn't, because that'd mean admitting a fault, but there really should be a process for it.

This is exactly what i mean:

Telling the judges they are wrong on your deductions (element wasn't illegal) is one thing, to "call out" another team - different story.

This may sound rude and i hope i won't offend anyone.
I'm not a fan of calling out other teams.

But at a competition like worlds, the most important of the season, if i'd see that a team in my division got scored so obviously wrong (to their favor) i should have the option as a coach to adress this and be heared.
Because not only everyone works hard and dedicates time and sweat and tears into this performance, but it is also a big financial factor for athletes and families.

Judges are human, they make mistakes, thats okay. But they should correct it when it comes to something so important like a worlds title.

Is it the USASF or the ICU? Bangkok is a member of the ICU...maybe USASF's hands were tied...

Is it the USASF or the ICU? Bangkok is a member of the ICU...maybe USASF's hands were tied...

Let's be serious. ICU is USASF. And the USASF/IASF competition falls under USASF, not ICU. The only thing that ICU could have done was make Bangkok beat USA in ICU Worlds on Friday.

Do the international teams still compete on a scoresheet with a reduced emphasis on tumbling?

International teams (on the whole, i truly understand there are more and more exceptions) are not quite at the level of the front runners in the US. Which is fine, but year on year we are seeing massive improvements across the score sheet. Maybe it is time we went back to competing on the singular worlds score sheet and drop the 3 per country rule?

I am a non-US athlete who would much rather see a rightful winner regardless of their nationality, situations like this and the previous "tie" make people's opinions of international teams attendance at worlds worse. People are understanding that we are there to improve ourselves etc but no one can understand a pity win

International Divisions (including US teams in those divisions) emphasize tumbling much less. It's less than 15% of the scoresheet, IIRC. I don't see a problem with de-emphasizing tumbling for open teams, to be honest.

I'm ready for the tomatoes, but in the International category would a "handicap" system work to encourage growth and integrity in scoring? They could have a "scratch" to "bogey" scale increasing for a limited period of time (say five years) until they feel they have had adequate time to catch up in other skill categories. If they continue to score these teams high for lacking in certain skills, where is the incentive to improve?

I'm ready for the tomatoes, but in the International category would a "handicap" system work to encourage growth and integrity in scoring? They could have a "scratch" to "bogey" scale increasing for a limited period of time (say five years) until they feel they have had adequate time to catch up in other skill categories. If they continue to score these teams high for lacking in certain skills, where is the incentive to improve?
In my personal opinion, I'd prefer to compete on a level playing field. Sure, our teams are not quite at the level of GymTyme/Great Whites etc. yet but we're working on it. Some of the UK teams have v little competition until the go to the US, and I think it might make them a bit complacent. They get to worlds, see where they really rank (I'm also against the 3 per country rule, but that's a different topic I guess), and get back in the gym to try to beat the top teams in the division. I think a handicap would possibly provide incentives to not put out your hardest skills (depending on how the handicap works), and if an international team did globe they still won't have 'earned' it. Imo I'd far prefer to come 10th in a division fair and square than 3rd because someone took pity on us.
I may just be abnormal though.

I tip my hat to you.

If only people knew the amount of backdoor deals that go on everyday with the V & U, between the gyms and them, contracts that have been signed, non of this would be a surprise. Some of the wins, teams you see up top & how some "just know" how to hit a scoresheet that has no rubric..

US & International gyms are being threatened by both, if they attend any competition other than W or a V that they can't attend W. Dealt with an entire country last week, getting approached and threantened straight from V representatives acting for the U. Got contacted from yet another country being threaten by the same words, yesterday.. They are unsure what to do, because that is all they know for cheerleading in these countries, but want growth and options.

You'd be surprised to find out how deep some are in contracually and financially.. some even receiving gym paychecks directly from the sources.

Vague I know, but for a reason. Keep your eyes open.

Last edited:
Back