Base smaller than flyer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 2, 2013
I just switched to a new gym, and in one stunt I am secondary basing someone who is at least 4 inches taller than me and weighs a little more than I do. It's a bit too hard for me, and I don't want to fly, so I don't know what to do.

My daughter was the second shortest girl on her team last year and she based, so don't use your height as an excuse. Honestly at this point in the season, your stunts should be a little hard. This is still the learning part of the year. Are you lifting with your legs or are you trying to use your arms as your main leverage? Your strength should come from your legs and your core, so if they aren't strong start conditioning them.
Have you asked your coach for tips? Ask for help and be open to the advice.
If there are specific things that you're having problems with, post them here and I'm sure that you'll get great advice. Whether you follow it, though, is up to you.

You can do it! Beast that sucker up there! If you and the other bases all work together I bet you can do it and surprise yourself.
Doing hard things is a big part of all star. If everyone gave up because something was too hard we wouldn't have a sport at all.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I just switched to a new gym, and in one stunt I am secondary basing someone who is at least 4 inches taller than me and weighs a little more than I do. It's a bit too hard for me, and I don't want to fly, so I don't know what to do.
I had the same problem on my team except the girl weighed a lot more than I do. Don't let that stop you but lift weights to build your strength up. No one told me to actively build up my strength and now I can hardly lift anything. So if your arms hurt or anything don't be afraid to ask for a break/go to the doctors for it or it could become a lasting problem.

This happens every year to me! I am always the shortest on my team, but I base! with a little extra conditioning at home I can easily base and for me it is the best part of cheering! That extra conditioning helps so much! I do a workout a day, It has helped so much that I can now toss a girl who is taller than me to hands (by myself) and press into extensions and libs! It will get better and easier as the season goes on! the conditioning should help your jumps and tumbling too! But I really like conditioning so for me it was an easy option!

My middle one is one of the smaller kids on her team and has always been a base (4 years now) and lifted kids bigger and older than her - she even boasts that she can lift me (which she does - mind you I only was 115 but she is 9). My point is don't let your size stop you. Build those leg muscles you may find it even helps you with your jumps and tumbling building power in those legs.

I based a girl at least 4 inches taller in a pyramid. She was flipping two girls at the same time. Beast up and use your leg muscles. If I can do it while she isn't tight, you can do it too.

Back