All-Star Bases/backspot Training?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

anythingforcheer

Cheer Parent
Feb 25, 2010
We discuss flyers quite a bit on the the boards and things they can do to become better flyers, but as a mom of a base, how do we better train them? Usually when a stunt doesn't hit, the main emphasis seems to be on the flyer (understandably), but watching the cheer show as well as my cp team, there seems to difficulties with both bases and flyers technique and strength. I understand its a group effort to make a stunt sequence successful, so how do we address the issue with better training for bases, conditioning etc., do you all have classes at your gym for this?

Thank You!!!! we were having this discussion last night. A lot of bases and back spots, especially newbies, are thrown out on the floor to do a job with little or no training. Some coaches blame them, others blame the flyer. All parts of the stunt need training specific to their position. Does any gym do base/ back spot classes the way many do flight classes?

ha I guess so. They are specialty classes that you can join alone or as a group, to work on technique with more experienced stunt groups. The only problem is, that we don't have the base classes as often, because there is a lack of consistent enrollment. Everyone seems to want to sign their kids up to learn to fly, but don't value the technique it takes to base or back spot.

That's one of my points, there are rarely any training groups or classes for bases/backspots to assist with technique etc.

That's one of my points, there are rarely any training groups or classes for bases/backspots to assist with technique etc.

I think it is a catch 22. If more kids signed up, there would be more classes offered, but it sounds like kids don't sign up because there aren't enough classes offered.

I know people don't often want to be the first to commit to classes, but if more people were willing, or to bring friends, they might have more offered. I know, I know...it isn't about the money, but the harsh truth is that if you don't have enough kids enrolled in a class, it costs WAY too much to keep that class, rather than filling the time with things you know people will sign up for.

I've got a base and a backspot, it's pretty much on the job training. No special classes, just being taught technique during practice. I will agree with Coach Alisha that a good base/backspot can be undervalued for technique. For better or worse that conversation always seems to fall on the flyer.

For example, we had a stunt that was not hitting on one of our teams so at open gym last night, my son back spotted it, and my daughter and her twin based it because they knew if they were under it they'd be able to tell exactly what the flyer was doing wrong and help her fix it. They did.

It took going up two times to diagnose the problem. She just has regular bases that are inexperienced at that level and also inexperienced enough to not know what to do to zero out the issues the flyer was having.

The flyer fixed it and she's already hitting it better. That sort of thing is possible when you have bases that know what they're doing....and that particular base group that helped her at open gym is (I know I'm biased because two of the three are mine) is the strongest base group in our gym. No question about it. And the two bases (we call the them "twins"...my cp and her friend) have been basing together so long they don't even need to speak, they just know what to do, how to balance each other out and they know what the other will do without having to talk about it.

I think that level of telekinetic ability just comes from experience. They're 12 now, but they've been doing this (literally) half their lives and most of that together in the same group.

...hence the "twin" nickname because they're attached at the hip.

Although last night I think they got a new nickname. The mom of the flyer thanked them for helping her cp figure it out (they'd been pretty frustrated) and thanked us for having her take time from her open gym to help...which they were happy to do...and my DH replies...(in reference to the twins)

"no worries, it ain't nothin' a little salt and pepper can't fix for you."

The parent section fell OUT, and now the twins want tee shirts that say "salt" and "pepper" on them :)

One thing they've been doing this season at our gym is having clinics for entire stunt groups. The whole group has to sign up, but basically they get extra time with each other and a coach to help them figure out how to hit better. So far it seems to be helping. I like this a lot more than just having flyer workshops (even though those are great too). It gives everyone a chance to practice more and learn to work together as a group. Whole stunt groups can sign up at our gym for privates too.

A problem could be that while bases and backspots lack technique they also lack strength. You have to be a beast with your technique if you lack that important main strength. Our coaches make us, during warm ups, hold a handstand against a wall for 2 minutes. As that is basically how we are when we hold our flyer. We started out at 1:30 min and now since we are stronger, we can hold longer. If any one drops the whole team has to do 10 push-ups... It can hurt like hell while we're doing it, but if you squeeze your body and breath deeply it gets easier.
Oops... Sorry for the essay. Lol. :D

I could never imagine having a basing class where you learn how to base better. Every parent wants their kid to be a flyer. Im 6'0 175 and my mom still wants me to fly :deadhorse: but i do wish more care was put into basing and backspotting. If parents were actualy interested and would enroll their kids in it i would not mind teaching a basing and backing class to make better bases

I think if you do stunting workshops with entire stunt groups and rotate more experienced flyers/bases etc with them, they can see what they are doing wrong. For example, one day my team was falling all over we started doing hang drills and I started rotating to flyers around the groups and the back spots and the bases. The girls noticed that they were adapting to the bad technique of someone else to make up for it in their groups.. needless to say it worked wonders!

If places had classes like that, it would not only make them stronger but also make them more aware of their bodies and it would help cheerleaders as a whole.

I could never imagine having a basing class where you learn how to base better. Every parent wants their kid to be a flyer. Im 6'0 175 and my mom still wants me to fly :deadhorse: but i do wish more care was put into basing and backspotting. If parents were actualy interested and would enroll their kids in it i would not mind teaching a basing and backing class to make better bases

Not EVERY parent wants their kid to fly. My cp is a BEAST back spot, and I couldn't be prouder.

We don't have classes per say, but it's not unusual to have a stunt group come in early/stay late if they need some extra attention. Our coaches are very good at teaching technique throughout the summer months, and continue that year round as well.

My oldest was a slender smaller base. But she was THE base everyone fought to have. She could get anyone in the air and if the flyer did come down she was the person between the flyer and the floor. I could not have been any prouder of her. She never wanted to fly, ever. Good bases and backspots can keep a weaker flyer in the air the best flyer can't do her thing on bad bases and backspots. Tells you where the strength and training should be.

Not EVERY parent wants their kid to fly. My cp is a BEAST back spot, and I couldn't be prouder.
You sound like my mom! :) Even if I was short enough my mom wouldn't want me flipping through the air. She always points me out "My daughter is the tall one that does all the heavy lifting!"

Back