All-Star Battle Under The Big Top Schedule, Teams, And Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

AllStar Challenge stands out in our sport for many reasons, not the least of which is they are not afraid to take a chance on being unique. To the CEA culture this is paramount. A bid from this company is ultimately one of the top honors in the sport, not only because it is the first real debut of so many annual medalists but because we believe whole heartedly in the people making decisions behind the scene. They have never before sacrificed quality for any reason and have put the kids and coaches experience as a top priority. They ran a fantastic event this weekend despite many obstacles that need not be detailed on this forum but are nevertheless present in the sport.

Historically this company has been known to reward innovation, skills that haven't been competed before, ideas that are creative and in this environment especially in the days when our skill level was no where near where it needed to be in the difficulty department it was possible for a coach to succeed strictly on playing strengths without severe penalty for deficiencies. It was a place where rules and quantities and math didn't rule the outcome, the show was the key. I was mesmerized by many routines this weekend. Top Gun and Orange were quite possibly two of the cleanest routines ever competed in December in our sport, we all got a front row seat to the execution masters and I'm certain that our kids learned a great deal just from being in the audience. I know I did.

Senior Elite's performance both days for our team personally was triumphant. What it has taken for them to even get that routine on the mat is something that I will use as an inspirational story for the rest of my coaching career. To say we are excited is an understatement.

Many of the twitter posts in question were not from our actual team members. Maddie's facebook account.. her real one.. was even deleted permanently due to someone accusing her of false identity. These posts should be about the winners this weekend, and all the brand new routines that are just now out. Those kids deserve the critical and popular acclaim they deserve. All of the kids in this sport work really hard.

Lastly, as an entire gym we were only disheartened by the marginal allowances of the various categories being different from each other. This weekend having the best skill set won a .25 or maybe .50 margin while having the best formations and spacing, timing etc could win as much as 2.0 points per judge. It was very consistently judged that way. In the end champions must win every feasible category and leave no doubt on which strength should over ride which weakness. A champion can show you they are the winner 100 out of 100 times. No excuses. My comment to CoEd Elite before we competed Sunday was as follows: "The blue sheet ranges your score up to 10 points on things that take years to master..tumbling, partner stunting, pyramids, tosses, etc. The pink sheet calls for things that take you two seconds to pay attention to ( spacing and keeping your arms down ) and are split second errors. They are not asking you to be homeschooled so you can spend three years perfecting the best partner stunt ever...they are asking you today to squeeze your arms" This comment was educational, hopeful, and true.

Cassie from Celebrity pointed out after our showcase how different our two approaches to the end product were..she always stresses the intricacies of the routine itself and adds in the difficulty as the year progresses. We do the opposite... we get all the routines constructed..throwing all of our difficulty and ideas out there from the beginning allowing as many possible attempts at skills in public auditoriums before major events. As the routine becomes more familiar and their confidence builds the cleanliness comes from an overall commitment to confidence that is achieved with repeated success. To this end...We attend Allstar Challenge first where there are no deductions, where taking the big risks, pushing the envelope and overall creativity were often the deciding factors. We hit Jamfest next where the number of actual tumbling passes becomes the goal over our intense winter break practices...these skills are easier to add once our kids get comfortable with their stunt and pyramid sequences. In years past we have then headed to CHEERSPORT where actually hitting everything is paramount. This change of pace makes the season's practices have a different feel and segments a really long season before it all comes together for Worlds ( a month when we only coach 6 teams instead of 49 ). My kids did exactly what we asked of them this weekend and we couldn't be prouder of them. I owe my teams an apology for not being more informed on what was going to be judged this weekend and preparing them accordingly that's my job...they did theirs. We are evolving as an industry and I think it is very important for coaches of all strengths to have a place to showcase their differing talents. I saw so much greatness this weekend. Its going to be an awesome season!

AllStar Challenge stands out in our sport for many reasons, not the least of which is they are not afraid to take a chance on being unique. To the CEA culture this is paramount. A bid from this company is ultimately one of the top honors in the sport, not only because it is the first real debut of so many annual medalists but because we believe whole heartedly in the people making decisions behind the scene. They have never before sacrificed quality for any reason and have put the kids and coaches experience as a top priority. They ran a fantastic event this weekend despite many obstacles that need not be detailed on this forum but are nevertheless present in the sport.

Historically this company has been known to reward innovation, skills that haven't been competed before, ideas that are creative and in this environment especially in the days when our skill level was no where near where it needed to be in the difficulty department it was possible for a coach to succeed strictly on playing strengths without severe penalty for deficiencies. It was a place where rules and quantities and math didn't rule the outcome, the show was the key. I was mesmerized by many routines this weekend. Top Gun and Orange were quite possibly two of the cleanest routines ever competed in December in our sport, we all got a front row seat to the execution masters and I'm certain that our kids learned a great deal just from being in the audience. I know I did.

Senior Elite's performance both days for our team personally was triumphant. What it has taken for them to even get that routine on the mat is something that I will use as an inspirational story for the rest of my coaching career. To say we are excited is an understatement.

Many of the twitter posts in question were not from our actual team members. Maddie's facebook account.. her real one.. was even deleted permanently due to someone accusing her of false identity. These posts should be about the winners this weekend, and all the brand new routines that are just now out. Those kids deserve the critical and popular acclaim they deserve. All of the kids in this sport work really hard.

Lastly, as an entire gym we were only disheartened by the marginal allowances of the various categories being different from each other. This weekend having the best skill set won a .25 or maybe .50 margin while having the best formations and spacing, timing etc could win as much as 2.0 points per judge. It was very consistently judged that way. In the end champions must win every feasible category and leave no doubt on which strength should over ride which weakness. A champion can show you they are the winner 100 out of 100 times. No excuses. My comment to CoEd Elite before we competed Sunday was as follows: "The blue sheet ranges your score up to 10 points on things that take years to master..tumbling, partner stunting, pyramids, tosses, etc. The pink sheet calls for things that take you two seconds to pay attention to ( spacing and keeping your arms down ) and are split second errors. They are not asking you to be homeschooled so you can spend three years perfecting the best partner stunt ever...they are asking you today to squeeze your arms" This comment was educational, hopeful, and true.

Cassie from Celebrity pointed out after our showcase how different our two approaches to the end product were..she always stresses the intricacies of the routine itself and adds in the difficulty as the year progresses. We do the opposite... we get all the routines constructed..throwing all of our difficulty and ideas out there from the beginning allowing as many possible attempts at skills in public auditoriums before major events. As the routine becomes more familiar and their confidence builds the cleanliness comes from an overall commitment to confidence that is achieved with repeated success. To this end...We attend Allstar Challenge first where there are no deductions, where taking the big risks, pushing the envelope and overall creativity were often the deciding factors. We hit Jamfest next where the number of actual tumbling passes becomes the goal over our intense winter break practices...these skills are easier to add once our kids get comfortable with their stunt and pyramid sequences. In years past we have then headed to CHEERSPORT where actually hitting everything is paramount. This change of pace makes the season's practices have a different feel and segments a really long season before it all comes together for Worlds ( a month when we only coach 6 teams instead of 49 ). My kids did exactly what we asked of them this weekend and we couldn't be prouder of them. I owe my teams an apology for not being more informed on what was going to be judged this weekend and preparing them accordingly that's my job...they did theirs. We are evolving as an industry and I think it is very important for coaches of all strengths to have a place to showcase their differing talents. I saw so much greatness this weekend. Its going to be an awesome season!

And this right here ladies and gentlemen, is the cold hard truth. I usually don't like sitting and reading the big paragraphs, but this one caught my attention. Everything Courtney said in the post in 100% true! Thank you Courtney, for being the amazing coach that you are! You're determination and drive has inspired me for so many years. My goal is to build my skill level in the next 2 years, go to NCSU, and cheer for your outstanding program. That's my dream. And I hope to achieve that dream, and get the opportunity to say "I am a Cheer Extreme cheerleader." Thank you for all you do! :D

wouldn't it be great if just one time, everyone had to perform the SAME exact routine, with the same exact skills and see who executed it best? then everyone could suck it up and zip it!

all of these teams are so talented, honestly...i feel like in all divisions, there is so much talent maxing out that you almost can't call one team better than the other this year, not yet at least. people are embarrassing themselves by acting so caddy...everyone should worry about their own team and stop talking crap on others it's ridiculous and it is making people lose respect.

everyone has their favorite team, of course but you should support everyone, good sportsmanship is the biggest and best quality in my book, and no one really seems to have that right now.

I totally agree with your idea to only focus about your own achievements and try to stay away from being critical of others without being constructive (I.e. positive and helpful). I wish people would go back and read the rules sometimes, I think that is covered there.

I also hope you don't really think that no one is showing sportsmanship right now. There was actually plenty of it going around this weekend. Some of it in this thread even.

My two cents on the weekend in general...

I don't blame the athletes for the majority of the animosity and craziness that's been transpiring online and through Twitter...I blame coaches!!! Whens the last time you taught your kids about humility, sportsmanship or explained to them why it is you make the coaching decisions you make on their behalf?

Your two cents always seems to add up to a quarter. Thanks for providing your insight

I thought it was cool but didn't they have to get more since some girls werent on that team for worlds last year or did the seniors not get to keep them?

SSX Seniors who wanted to keep their white uniforms from last year were allowed to since they won them at Battle at the Beach. Some sold theirs and we ordered for any girls who still didn't have one so we had to wait for those to come in. You should see it more this year now.

Ok. So this weekend was my first Battle Under the Big Top experience. I saw some amazing performances! But I am still quite confused on how Atlanta Jayhawks junior level 4 (small) lost to stingrays (large) team. Stingrays dropped stunts, and bobbles. Jayhawks put on an amazing performance with high energy, expressions, and facials, both days. I will admit Sunday was much better when it comes to the "performance". On both days they beat the Stingrays on the techinical scores. Please note this team had the 2nd highest techinical score for any level 4 team (including all coed and all senior level 4 teams on day 2). Our girls took 2nd place with such amazing grace and class, but with a broken heart. I am very proud of the junior green family!

I am not hating on the stingrays, they are an amazing gym, with amazing athletes. I am just confused.. Congrats to Orange and Top Gun for their paid bids to worlds!

I'm sure your girls were upset but please don't try to take anything away from the other team. The best thing you could have done instead of naming areas where you thought you beat Platinum was to look at the score sheet and see where they outscored you. Platinum also had high energy, great expressions and facials, but it takes more than that to win. Since you mentioned scores I went back to check and it's obvious why they won, yes your tech score was higher but not by much on day 1, the pres score is what killed you. Your tech score was day 1 93.27 Platinum day 1 193.09 only (.18 difference) day 2 Jayhawks 96.91 Platinum 95.45 (1.46 difference) . Pres score Jayhawks-day 1 & 2 84.67, Platinum-day 1 87.83 (3.16) day 2 90.33 (5.66) this is where you got beat. I just hate when people only look at half of the picture and yes they appeared to take it with grace and class but you, not so much. Hope that helps clear up your confusion. Good luck, the season is just starting!

Back