OT Becoming A Choreographer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 15, 2011
Okay so my sister and I both love cheering and being involved. We're both graduated now and want to earn a little money for college. So there's a lot of not very good teams around my area that we kinda are hoping to help out. We want to choreograph a routine for them because they clearly don't have a choreographer. My sister is very creative and I know a lot about cheering from the boards so we want to know from a choreographers aspect what is involved. Firstly we need to contact the schools and ask if they would be interested. What are some good things to say and what would be a good asking price if it was our first routine ever choreographed? Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Free would be a good price for the first routine you've ever choreographed. I'm serious. Get out there and volunteer under some great coaches and see what types of choreography work for each kind of routine/school/scoresheet.

I disagree, I think you could charge a smaller fee, maybe around 200-500 but be willing to be flexible. The problem is that if these are rec teams they may have already paid their fees. Make a nice flier talking about your experience and why you are the best option over another choreographer or no choreographer.

I disagree, I think you could charge a smaller fee, maybe around 200-500 but be willing to be flexible. The problem is that if these are rec teams they may have already paid their fees. Make a nice flier talking about your experience and why you are the best option over another choreographer or no choreographer.

these are high school squads that recycle the same routines over and over each year just mixed around a bit. We obviously aren't experienced enough to take on a school that pays choreographers a couple thousand (like my school) so we wanted to start with a crappier (lack of a better word) school so the expectations aren't so high :p

Well, with the attitude of "crappier schools" and low expectations....it's not going to work. Even if you would never ever ever say that to the team/school/coach, you can't even think it-it'll show through.

Find a rec program or a middle school team and do a routine for them for free. That'll give you a "resume" so to speak that you can use.

Well, with the attitude of "crappier schools" and low expectations....it's not going to work. Even if you would never ever ever say that to the team/school/coach, you can't even think it-it'll show through.

Find a rec program or a middle school team and do a routine for them for free. That'll give you a "resume" so to speak that you can use.

I see how that can come off pretty rude. But you're right I wouldn't say it but I'm sure it would come off anyway. Thanks for the advice! I'll def look into some middle school teams.. maybe even from my own school.

Back