All-Star Becoming A Flyer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 21, 2010
Hi!
I'm currently a senior in high school, and I have always been a base. I am a pretty good base, always been one of the best on my team for every team I've been on. Although I am a strong base, I imagine that when I get into college, I'll probably be a flyer. I am only 5 foot 3 inches tall, and I weigh roughly 130 pounds. Like I said before, I've always been a flyer and I'm not all that flexible. What would you suggest I do to become the best flyer I can be by this time next year in case I do indeed become a flyer? Thank you so much!

I suggest that you stretch A LOT. If you start now you should be pretty flexible by the time next season comes around.
Different stretches you could do are:
-Door frame stretch( put one leg against the back part for a scorpian and push back as far as you can.Trust me it works)
-Splits( left, right, middle)
-Over splits( elevate back or front leg in split with a big book)
- Put two chairs a couple inches apart and do a split on the chairs letting your middle sink in between the two chairs)
-Back bends
-Practice holding your body positions each day for 15-30( try to increase the length as you progress)

Also to learn how to maintain your balance, you should stand on a paint can/soup can/soda can(Whichever works best for you).
Your flexibility and balance will come in due time not overnight. Remember no pain no gain. Good luck!:)

At your size you should be able to base on a college team if you want. The largest flyer on my team was about 5'4 and 120. However, you are also flyer size so I would stretch just in case!

Go to open gyms and start flying! Make sure you are with a experienced group/guy, or have one around helping you. Don't want bad info! Also, never, NEVER go up without a good spotter while you are learning.

At your size you should be able to base on a college team if you want. The largest flyer on my team was about 5'4 and 120. However, you are also flyer size so I would stretch just in case!
I'm hoping I'll be able to base still, just cause Id be so much more comfortable. But it seems like on most of the coed teams, every girl flys, haah.

Go to open gyms and start flying! Make sure you are with a experienced group/guy, or have one around helping you. Don't want bad info! Also, never, NEVER go up without a good spotter while you are learning.
Thank you! :]

Also, keep an open mind, don't be scared, and work your butt off. I'd rather have someone new with those characteristics then an experienced flyer who is lazy and has a bad attitude.

Also, keep an open mind, don't be scared, and work your butt off. I'd rather have someone new with those characteristics then an experienced flyer who is lazy and has a bad attitude.
I will try my best! I cant say I wont be scared, because Im already freaking out a little, and Im not even in a flyers class yet, haha :D Thank you so much for all of the advice everyone! I will start stretching daily and working on my skills. :]

IzzyFierce
I've been a backspot, base, front spot my whole life. I'm short, tiny, and flexible but they never put me up. Then i tried all star and they did.
Let me say, It'll be scary going up the first time. Just lock every muscle in your body and hit a high v. For some reason, the bases say that when you hit a high v, the flyer feels lighter?
Anyway, STRETCH.
Look up Gabi Butler's stretching video. Do those stretches daily. hourly. EVERY SECOND OF YOUR LIFE. ;)
I used to be dorito scorp, and now i'm working on a needle! (Look at my profile pic to see what it now looks like..)

Good luck to you! You have to really believe you won't fall. I fell yesterday.... It surprisingly didn't hurt...

ETA; Heres the video, incase you haven't seen it

More basic;

IzzyFierce
I've been a backspot, base, front spot my whole life. I'm short, tiny, and flexible but they never put me up. Then i tried all star and they did.
Let me say, It'll be scary going up the first time. Just lock every muscle in your body and hit a high v. For some reason, the bases say that when you hit a high v, the flyer feels lighter?
Anyway, STRETCH.
Look up Gabi Butler's stretching video. Do those stretches daily. hourly. EVERY SECOND OF YOUR LIFE. ;)
I used to be dorito scorp, and now i'm working on a needle! (Look at my profile pic to see what it now looks like..)

Good luck to you! You have to really believe you won't fall. I fell yesterday.... It surprisingly didn't hurt...

More basic;

Thank you so much! :D This is so helpful! everyone on here is so amazing! :D

I'm in the exact same position, 5'1, 120 pounds and a main base... Having other people stretch you helps a lot, since they can push you farther than you can a lot of the time.

IzzyFierce
Anyway, STRETCH.

More basic;

Just gave this to my daughter who is new to cheer and flying. thanks for the tips of what to do at home.

My sister is about your size 5'2....weighs a little less I think..pure muscle. She has been a base (she can main and side) since she started cheer. She is a phenomenal base and love it...never was one of those girls that aspired to fly. She will also be a senior this year and plans to cheer in college, so about two weeks ago I paid for her to have ONE stunt private with two guys to see if she even liked being in the air.

These were her body positions. First time flying ever. 45 min stunt private
zjz535.jpg

She stretches all the time...and did very well (better than some of the flys on her hs team) pulling body positions for someone that literally never has pulled them. She also hit a switch up..Her high school coach also tried her flying after he saw...but those girls couldn't get her in the air

Anyway. Take some stunt privates and you may be surprised what you are capable of the first time out

My sister is about your size 5'2....weighs a little less I think..pure muscle. She has been a base (she can main and side) since she started cheer. She is a phenomenal base and love it...never was one of those girls that aspired to fly. She will also be a senior this year and plans to cheer in college, so about two weeks ago I paid for her to have ONE stunt private with two guys to see if she even liked being in the air.

These were her body positions. First time flying ever. 45 min stunt private
zjz535.jpg

She stretches all the time...and did very well (better than some of the flys on her hs team) pulling body positions for someone that literally never has pulled them. She also hit a switch up..Her high school coach also tried her flying after he saw...but those girls couldn't get her in the air

Anyway. Take some stunt privates and you may be surprised what you are capable of the first time out
I hope I can be as good as she is!! I'm in the same boat as a lot of fierceboarders posted . I am 4'11, weigh roughly 120, and have been basing my whole cheer career as well. I definitely have to look into some college clinics around the area.

Back