All-Star Beginning Of The Season And No Acl

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 2, 2010
Hey fierce boarders I need your opinion especially if you have a experience with torn acl's

I landed my pass and completely torn my acl, ripped my minuscus, and sprained my mcl..

So here is the question do I stay in routine and either hope I can tumble, and stunt like I used to or even just stunt in routine..

Or do i get the surgery for it and try to catch the second half of the season?

I'm on a level five and also cross to a coed 4.. So i am effecting more then just myself with these discussions..

What do I do!

do whats better for your health. having surgery now will leave the option of the second half of the season and itll be easier to get someone to fill your spot now before the season starts than have you get more hurt once the season starts and get a replacement the week of a competition..

Your health is definitely the priority. The sooner you get the surgery, the sooner you can begin rehabbing your knee and prayerfully join your team on the floor later this season. The longer you delay the worse you can potentially make things for yourself down the road. Plus you truly won't be able to give your teams your best effort every time out; just the best you can with the injury you currently have.

Hey fierce boarders I need your opinion especially if you have a experience with torn acl's

I landed my pass and completely torn my acl, ripped my minuscus, and sprained my mcl..

So here is the question do I stay in routine and either hope I can tumble, and stunt like I used to or even just stunt in routine..

Or do i get the surgery for it and try to catch the second half of the season?

I'm on a level five and also cross to a coed 4.. So i am effecting more then just myself with these discussions..

What do I do!

It really depends on what your doctor recommends, the extent of the other damage to your knee, and what your ability level will be with bracing it and holding off on surgery. I was an athlete back in college and tore my ACL during the end of my junior year. I had what was considered a very fast recovery, and I was out for 4 months. The norm is about a 6 month rehab period for an ACL reconstruction. So, surgery now is pretty much going to rule out much of the season. I have seen lots of athletes postpone surgery to finish out a season with a custom knee brace (one of the big ones, with the hinges and all), but it really depends on what your doctor's recommendations are and how bad the other damage to the knee is that could be made worse, like torn cartilege, etc., by holding off on surgery.

Get the surgery!

In my 07-08 season I tore my ACL and managed to make a 3 month recovery with surgery and competed on a level 3 team but have a running full.

In my 09-10 season I tore my ACL, meniscus, and serverely stretched my LCL. I got surgery and made a 4 month recovery and came back to a level 5 team.

It's never good to wait it out and hope. When I was waiting for surgery I would do walkovers and cartwheels taking in the idea that I can do them in my sleep and I can do it slowly and carefully. When I would land, no matter how graceful I'd be my knee would buckle and it hurt so much worse than the initial tear. So surgery is definately doable without taking away your whole season. Plus, if you just hope it gets better, and it doesn't, you're stuck.

If you do get the surgery, you should ask your doctor about using a cadaver achilles tendon as well versus using a hamstring or patellar tendon. It will cut your recovery time shorter doing that versus using your own tissue. That's what I did. And the only risk is rejection. But unlike an organ they don't need to measure out all the HLA factors and all because it's just a tissue and donor tissues rarely reject.

My daughter landed her 2 to full in the routine in Jamfest Indy and tore her ACL, meniscus, and sprained her MCL. She went to physical therapy before her surgery to make sure her knee was as stron as possible. She had the surgery 1 week before NCA in Dallas and we still attended and she was able to walk around and she was in physical therapy by day 3 after her surgery.

CP was cleared in July to tumble but no twisitng rotations as she needed to strengthen her quadricep muscles some more. The surgeon fully cleared her in Auygust and she has all of her tumbling back and has even landed her double a couple of times not consistent yet.

You should get the surgery ASAP so that you will be able to make a comeback quickly. Listen to your doctor make sure you do your PT exercises at home and you will be back in no time. If you want to ask anything about my daughter's situation don't hesitate to PM me.

Thank you for the help..

Looks like surgery is the best thing to do for me, especially if I want to be able to do physical activities for the rest of my life.. Thanks again I have surgery scheduled for the 27th.. thanks!

Yes. Both times. The doctor said it would cut my recover in half because I'd only have to rehab one thing. Not two. Plus he didn't want complications from them using my own muscle/tendon with them not healing right. So he pretty much didn't even give me an option. And as I said before because the risk of donor rejection on tissues is virtually nothing. :) If you want me to explain more about tissue donation or my ACL recovery stories feel free to PM me.

I tore my acl in April this year the day before my highschool cheer tryouts doing a full at my competitive cheer gym. It was just a partial tear and started to feel better after a couple weeks so of course i went back to cheering way to early and got back in flying at highschool cheer and fell straight down on my bad leg and completely tore my acl, medial and lateral meniscus:( It's my senior year and cheerleadings my life so it took me about two months to make a decision on what i was going to do if i go through with the surgery or not. I finally made the decision to get my surgery done at the beginning of June since there was no way my knee would hold up for me to be able to tumble or do anything again and hoping i would be back out cheering my senior year. I was told i would be out for 9 months and just yesterday has been 3 months since my surgery and im hopefully going to be back in a month tumbling and stunting again! I do all my physical therapy and condition and everything to speed up my recovery all though its been so hard and a struggle to not be out there. We didn't even think i would be able to be out there cheering at football and soccer games and ive been out there everygame even went to cheer camp in my wheelchair:) so I think to definently go through with the surgery if you need it and come back the next half stronger than ever and you'll have a completely different mindset seeing it from a different side.

Surgery, definitely... I've had 6 surgeries, 3 were ACL repairs and meniscus, 2 were fixing loose/broken screws (yes, I really had a "screw loose" lol) and the other was just a meniscus clean up. You will find even in stunting things can happen without an ACL and damage your meniscus worse. Plus, you will come back stronger and hopefully be able to tumble and jump by worlds, rather than just stunting, MAYBE, and missing out on more. It will be hard to be on the "sidelines" but GET THE SURGERY!

P.S. you can PM me if you have questions, I have pretty much had every repair possible, every experience possible, haha.

I have an initial appt before the surgery.. so we will find out but to my knowledge right now they might just graft it. but did they use the cadaver achilles tendon on you?

I've had all 3, and it will depend on your body, too. How old are you? Are you done growing? They won't use the patellar tendon if you are not done growing, like your growth plates haven't fused.

Back