All-Star Being Competition Ready

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My sisters team is very good with helping each other out. She is 13 and can do her own makeup very well but struggles with her poof and pony since her hair is so thick. There are a few parents who can do it really well so either my mom and her will dedicate a good hour and struggle through it or they will schedule time with another parent who can usually knock it out in about 20 minutes. All before meeting time, of course.
Oh my gosh my daughter has a ton of hair and it takes the both of us too!!! I wouldn't pass that on to anyone else well except for big sis who helps at times too!!:D

Oh my gosh my daughter has a ton of hair and it takes the both of us too!!! I wouldn't pass that on to anyone else well except for big sis who helps at times too!!:D
As big sis I usually avoid the area when the hair is going up. They are both so high strung and tempers definitely flare up during that time. My sister secretly hates how it looks when my mom does it and will make little passive aggressive comments about how good her teammate's hair looks, and my mom is all WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT and sister will attempt to fix it but mom just thinks it looks worse and it's just a bad scene overall.

Once the hair is up though it's all good.

Last edited:
As big sis I usually avoid the area when the hair is going up. They are both so high strung and tempers definitely flare up during that time. My sister secretly hates how it looks when my mom does it and will make little passive aggressive comments about how good her teammate's hair looks, or my mom is all WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT and sister will attempt to fix it but mom just thinks it looks worse and it's just a bad scene overall.

Once the hair is up though it's all good.
Oh my gosh....sounds like us!!! No wonder she always 'has to work' lately!!!! :oops:

I am guilty of putting cp's makeup on when we arrive. I always do her makeup last as #1 she has allergies and her eyes constantly water, the eye makeup makes it worse. #2 if we are having hair issues I will be sure her hair is done before we leave and I would rather be on time without makeup than late fully ready. we already meet 2 1/2 hours before compete time so me taking 10 minutes to do makeup isn't an issue.

for new cheer parents or habitual issues if you are team rep i would chat directly with the parents or have the coaches address it. last season the entire gym had the same makeup kit yet susie's mom insisted on putting bright red lipstick on susie. she was 7 and would eat, drink, play around and smear it everywhere. by the time she got on the mat she looked like she had bitten a head off a damn rabbit.

last season the entire gym had the same makeup kit yet susie's mom insisted on putting bright red lipstick on susie. she was 7 and would eat, drink, play around and smear it everywhere. by the time she got on the mat she looked like she had bitten a head off a damn rabbit.

LMAO that description is so accurate! I have seen many Susies who look like they went on a rabbit hunt!

I am the "hair help" mom on our team. We do straight pony with a small pouf and I can generally get most girls done in 5-10 min. Makeup on the other hand, I do my child and try not to have to do anyone else. I can in a pinch, but I am very slow at it.

I am the "hair help" mom on our team. We do straight pony with a small pouf and I can generally get most girls done in 5-10 min. Makeup on the other hand, I do my child and try not to have to do anyone else. I can in a pinch, but I am very slow at it.

Can you please come join our team!!!!!

As a coach it seriously annoys the h e double hockey sticks out of me when people show up in the morning looking like they just rolled out of bed. I also can't stand parents who have been around for years "not knowing" how to do hair/makeup. Like you committed to this sport, practice and educate yourself on how to do the correct performance attire. If you had a swimmer, you would know how to put on a swim cap. If you had a ballerina you would learn how to do a bun. Learn how to apply some dang eyeshadow. I just think it looks very unprofessional to have half your athletes laying all over the hallway doing hair and makeup.

Can you please come join our team!!!!!
LOL... I wish, but we are too far away!
I will share my secret though:
My secret is a $1.49 teasing comb from Sally's, Got to B Glued, plus tiny clear rubber bands on the pouf part before using any bobby pins. Spray the hair you want to pouf, tease the heck out of it, smooth the front, and then put the clear pony on the pouf part about 3-4 inches behind where you want it to sit. Put it flat against the head, push forward, and secure with 2 crossed bobby pins.

My secret is a $1.49 teasing comb from Sally's, Got to B Glued, plus tiny clear rubber bands on the pouf part before using any bobby pins. Spray the hair you want to pouf, tease the heck out of it, smooth the front, and then put the clear pony on the pouf part about 3-4 inches behind where you want it to sit. Put it flat against the head, push forward, and secure with 2 crossed bobby pins.

you make it sound so easy. bumps are my nemesis.

:shimmy:

As a coach it seriously annoys the h e double hockey sticks out of me when people show up in the morning looking like they just rolled out of bed. I also can't stand parents who have been around for years "not knowing" how to do hair/makeup. Like you committed to this sport, practice and educate yourself on how to do the correct performance attire. If you had a swimmer, you would know how to put on a swim cap. If you had a ballerina you would learn how to do a bun. Learn how to apply some dang eyeshadow. I just think it looks very unprofessional to have half your athletes laying all over the hallway doing hair and makeup.

I have tried to do cheer hair for over 5 years. I am still terrible at it. Believe me I wish I could do their hair myself. I am very independent. It is not fun having to get their extra early because I am worried about getting their hair done, constantly asking people for help, hoping someone is free, and that they are okay helping.

I am such a control freak.. When we got our NCA info yesterday it said to come without eye makeup because the coaches had decided to change it and had gotten a few moms together to apply everyone's so they all looked more uniform. AAAHHHH!! Of course those moms will do it perfectly but I am having trouble letting go (insert Disney music)

I had a hair meltdown this weekend because Drop has a bob and it's just a very different kind of hair than a pony. I was not at the comp so my husband had to finish it and I still am a little afraid to look closely at the pictures.

Luckily before cheer Drop did ballet so she is really good about cooperating for hair and makeup.

I'm the hair mom on our team too. We always report way before warmup time so there is plenty of time to get it done. Our girls are really good about coming early if they know they need hair and make up help. We're a senior team so some of the girls are able to help out, too. We even have a few alumni that will show up early to make sure everybody looks good. The older girls always help out our new, younger girls to make sure they look right. If we're at a hotel they usually just come to my room.

I don't mind doing 6 or 7 extra heads because I'm friends with all their moms and I know what they'd look like if it was up to them lol.

But the parents or girls should make those arrangements ahead of time so everyone is clear about what's going on. Showing up late with no plan for help should be addressed by the team mom or coaches. Maybe call a special parent meeting to stress it

Back