All-Star Being Competition Ready

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm the hair mom on our team too. We always report way before warmup time so there is plenty of time to get it done. Our girls are really good about coming early if they know they need hair and make up help. We're a senior team so some of the girls are able to help out, too. We even have a few alumni that will show up early to make sure everybody looks good. The older girls always help out our new, younger girls to make sure they look right. If we're at a hotel they usually just come to my room.

I don't mind doing 6 or 7 extra heads because I'm friends with all their moms and I know what they'd look like if it was up to them lol.

But the parents or girls should make those arrangements ahead of time so everyone is clear about what's going on. Showing up late with no plan for help should be addressed by the team mom or coaches. Maybe call a special parent meeting to stress it
ITA. I have like 4 girls I know I am going to have to do hair for every time. They all know to show up early and moms usually text me about where to meet, ect. Last year we had one who was habitually late and never ready. It was stressful for everyone involved.

I was the go to for the team, but I finally had to pull back and let others do it for themselves when I realized that I was running around like a crazed lunatic on the morning of (with a mini call time) , while some of the other moms were chilling drinking Starbucks and they didn't even grab one for me. I have also noticed that lilbear is more relaxed if I focus more on her in the morning. Now, I will fix it, or help out if I know ahead of time, but I won't do the whole thing, unless there is a real reason that help is needed.

There are a couple of people who are habitually late and it drives me bonkers, because it stresses out the coaches and the team beforehand. I wish that there were repercussions like some have mentioned above. (I am such the rule follower that I tend to get cranky when others get away with things.)

you make it sound so easy. bumps are my nemesis.
It may or may not be due to the fact that I have difficult hair, and have been doing hair pretty much since I can remember. My sister and I both danced, and mom seriously sucked at hair. We have fine, silky hair that just doesn't want to lay right in a pony or stay put pretty much anywhere except hanging limply from our heads. It is a nightmare to curl, poof, or attempt any style the needs body. I did my own from an early age, and mom had me do my sister's most of the time. She is 6 years younger than me, and mom would get me up early when she was little to pull her hair up for school. I was able to French braid my own waist length hair pretty well by the time I was in middle school. I think that if I can do my own hair and get it to look half decent, anyone else's is a snap.

Just force it on someone lol. I never volunteered. That's basically what happened to me.

I have tried! LOL I have even offered to pay a small amount to moms or older teammates to help with hair. For whatever reason it continues to be a stressor at every comp. My 12 year old has been trying to learn how to do the cheer hair herself. If that works out I will be in heaven.

ITA. I have like 4 girls I know I am going to have to do hair for every time. They all know to show up early and moms usually text me about where to meet, ect.
Same deal. I know who will be coming for me. Sometimes I luck out and they have another girl nearby who can do it. It's like feeding that dog or cat hanging around your house. All it takes is one time and then you're on the hook for good lol.

I can do some mean makeup and until this year with this hair
<<<<<<
I could get the hair done too. But cp has learned to do her own pouf and does it really well, and is now mastering her makeup. She only asks for help if we are running late. I curl the pony and then another mom on our team who is a hair dresser teases the bejesus out of it. It's a team effort for sure!

As far as girls consistently not showing up ready to go, depending on the team "vibe," I would let the coaches know and deal with it. It's one thing if people are lost and ask for help and ARRANGE for help. It's quite another when they don't give a crap and act like you're lucky they got their kid there at all. (I've dealt with both)

I have tried! LOL I have even offered to pay a small amount to moms or older teammates to help with hair. For whatever reason it continues to be a stressor at every comp. My 12 year old has been trying to learn how to do the cheer hair herself. If that works out I will be in heaven.
Moms are always offering to pay me - I refuse the money but do their kids hair anyway! We have to be there for all teams and my team is usually the last from our gym to go, so I'm always there with plenty of time and I don't mind doing hair. The only thing that bothers me is if I'm doing my own hair and people come up asking me to help them 5 minutes before their check in - sorry but if I'm doing my own hair it's not really a good time. As long as people are considerate though I'm happy to!
For my HS team I literally did EVERYBODY'S but people at my gym are a little more competent and I only have to do a few! I do more teasing than bumping I've noticed - a lot of girls don't really know how to tease their ponytail and make it look right, so a lot just wait and have me or a coach do it which IMO is better than them trying, failing, and being a hot mess :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all star, I find that most parents know "oh crap I don't know how to do this. I need to be early so Becky's mom can help." So it all works out. I am also willing to grab a brush and do work if someone is really in a pinch (i.e. it's dad's weekend for Suzie so daddy did make up and she looks like Mimi from Drew Carey.) Most people know that not being ready = we will start moving up meeting times and nobody wants that.

My biggest issue with this is my HS cheer kids who KNOW how to do it themselves, have been doing the same hair for 2 years yet still show up not ready. I have benched/sat out my high school kids for showing up to a game/event late with undone hair or hair that is not in compliance with what our game day/performance hair should be. The girls regularly meet up at each other's homes to do hair/make up pre-event, so there are no excuses. If you aren't sure, you need to seek out a teammate for help.

If you arrive with 20 minutes to spare and can fix it, that's fine. It's quite another when kick off is in 5 minutes, y0u are already late (we report a set time before game starts), and you literally have the same hair that you wore to school with not a hair item in sight.

Last edited:
I searched the forums but couldn't find this topic....

How to you deal with parents that don't arrive to a comp with their child competition ready? No makeup, the wrong makeup, hair a hot mess and not up to standard. This is more for youth teams as they typically can't do it on their own yet. This past weekend several parents spent an hour doing/redoing hair and makeup for half the team. Most of them didn't have the appropriate colors so we had to dip in to our product. Didn't even show up with hairspray. Seriously - why do you do Allstar cheer if you don't want to play by the rules?

That is up to the coaches, imo, to deal with the parents.
For the sake of the team and athletes, I would dip into my supplies without complaint and make them floor ready with a smile on my face.

Fortunately I coach senior and open teams, so if someone is unable to handle being competition ready, I can usually hand them over to a teammate or two to finish their make-up or fix their hair during meeting time. I've handed out makeup wipes and told someone to FIX THIS before as well if someone got too 'creative'.

But the general deal with comp meeting times with the gym is "this is your meeting time when we trust you. If we're having people running late, not comp ready, etc, I will move your meeting time forward by half an hour or more so that I can check each one of you and fix any problems. Want a sleep in? Be ready on time".

Honestly, between me and CP's dad...he is 10 times better at hair and make-up than me, so I let him do her stuff 95% of the time. Our last comp before leaving her previous gym, we had a little girl in our hotel room for an hour as he curled her hair since setting it didn't work because of the texture.

One of the problems people are having now in the uk is some venues are covering up plug sockets so you can't plug in curlers or straightners which is a pain. I carry in my bag just in case a cordless one which isnt the best but it is better than nothing.
My coach doesnt mind how we do our hair aslong as it has a bump.

But the general deal with comp meeting times with the gym is "this is your meeting time when we trust you. If we're having people running late, not comp ready, etc, I will move your meeting time forward by half an hour or more so that I can check each one of you and fix any problems. Want a sleep in? Be ready on time".

This is our gym's mentality. The gym posts Youtube "how-to" hair and make videos. Then, at the first competition, everyone was required to get there 2 hours before warm-up. The coaches checked hair and make-up then pulled the kids out that needed "help" and re-did their hair or make-up. For two-day comps, the coaches give the girls the option of coming to their rooms super early in morning so the coaches can do their hair and make-up. The second competition, CP only had to be there a half an hour early. But a few girls showed up at that time expecting the coaches to "fix" (completely do) their hair and make-up, so now they make the girls meet an hour early.

As far as being late goes, if you aren't where you are supposed to be at the right time, the coach leaves without you and they won't send anyone out to find you. This usually means, if you haven't received your participant wristband yet, you are paying your way into the competition (again). One girl was late meeting her team for the first two competitions. After having to pay for her admission into the competition twice, her parents now get her there early.

Back