Belly Cradle

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2013
Is a belly cradle legal n aacca rules? From prep level, bases pop cradle as normal but backspot pulls ankles back so that flyer lands on belly n bases arms (bases actually catch chest!). Like n this video.

We taught that exact stunt my first year on NCA staff, but we front cradled from prep. I have never seen it done from extension for high school teams so I am not positive on the legality, but it is legal from prep as long as the head is above the feet (bases need to catch high, almost at an angle).

We taught this skill from a load and a prep at UCA camps this last summer, except flyer had arms out in a T motion instead of crossed. But like mentioned above, not totally sure about if it is legal from extension or not.

Does anyone know if this is legal at level 1 from a prep?
Cp's level 1 all star team did them last year. I am not a rules expert by any means, so you should definitely go through official channels, but we had a safety judge make a comment in warmups about one of our belly cradles being potentially illegal because the flyers feet went too high when the backspot pulled them back. As I understand it, they have to stay at prep level. My Cp was back spotting and was taller than the bases so the feet went above prep when she pulled. She had to really watch what she was doing.

Does anyone know if this is legal at level 1 from a prep?

Backspot MUST maintain contact with the flyer the entire time (holding on to the ankles) and the bases have to catch and hold her head & shoulders higher than her hips and feet otherwise she will be considered inverted.

Backspot MUST maintain contact with the flyer the entire time (holding on to the ankles) and the bases have to catch and hold her head & shoulders higher than her hips and feet otherwise she will be considered inverted.
this is what got us. Feet were higher than the hips at one point.

Thanks guys, I thought there might be something to watch for when doing it at level 1 but I wasn't sure if it was the dip and throw or the head-feet height. Apologies to OP for going off in a tangent, didn't want to start a new thread for something so similar.

We always told out bases to do a small dip in their legs and when they stand up pop through their shoulders but don't lift their hands up higher - just open up their fingeresso the backspot can sweep the feet backwards. Also, if you focus on the bases catching with arms up and extended and the back spot pulls downwards at an angle, it shouldn't be hard to keep an obvious head above hips catch.

Back