All-Star Best Jumps Photos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you go out of your way to start drama? Or are you trying to end it, which in turn is causing more...

Im obviously just here to start drama.

mjlhs2.jpg

I suppose yours are better than his? He is AMAZING!!!!
My jumps are pretty good actually,I shall post a picture when I get home...BUT I didn't mention myself at all in my post. He is really amzing,I was just stating my opinion thank you.
In one of his highlight videos I think,he does this switch hurdler thing that looks so cool. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

My jumps are pretty good actually,I shall post a picture when I get home...BUT I didn't mention myself at all in my post. He is really amzing,I was just stating my opinion thank you.
In one of his highlight videos I think,he does this switch hurdler thing that looks so cool. Anyone know what i'm talking about?
Well pointing out something that a person can not control is not nice!!! If he is bow legged I don't think calling attention to it is necessary! Would love to see your "pretty good" jumps though.

After reading many of her posts... I think she's half serious...

I'm 100% dead serious. With all the events I judge and routines I see....I'm sick of seeing crappy pikes. They are an advanced level jump, and should be done correctly.
Add to my list: piked "layouts", faked 360s, and "Fulls" or "Doubles" that only go 3/4 or 1-3/4 of the way around.
I'm tired of this "just chuck it" mentality. No, don't just chuck it. Teach proper progressions, combined with strength and conditioning, so that the athletes can do the skills properly.
You don't have to like or agree with my opinion.

I'm 100% dead serious. With all the events I judge and routines I see....I'm sick of seeing crappy pikes. They are an advanced level jump, and should be done correctly.
Add to my list: piked "layouts", faked 360s, and "Fulls" or "Doubles" that only go 3/4 or 1-3/4 of the way around.
I'm tired of this "just chuck it" mentality. No, don't just chuck it. Teach proper progressions, combined with strength and conditioning, so that the athletes can do the skills properly.

OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
This is literally the single reason I like Canadian cheer more than American cheer. I think over the past few years, I have never really seen piked layouts, only really piked if they're a mistake. No you don't see as many layouts in standing tumbling here, but I'd sure as heck rather see you throw a 2 to tuck than a two to pike. If ruling were to come out that a "piked layout" were to be scored differently (assuming just called a pike, though a single pike is kind of an awkward skill), would it really make a difference, I'm wondering...

MissBee said:

I agree but our scoresheets call for 3 (different) advanced jumps. Even for minis. The pike is actually one of the easier ones to teach so although we don't get the height, we get a clean(ish) jump that will increase our score. I'm sure the same can be said for the other skills you listed but IMHO I think stunts and tumbling are a different ball game--that's a level difference. Jumps and all their combinations are legal across all levels so there's really no getting around it.

I agree but our scoresheets call for 3 (different) advanced jumps. Even for minis. The pike is actually one of the easier ones to teach so although we don't get the height, we get a clean(ish) jump that will increase our score. I'm sure the same can be said for the other skills you listed but IMHO I think stunts and tumbling are a different ball game--that's a level difference. Jumps and all their combinations are legal across all levels so there's really no getting around it.

I get that when done at a lower level they're pretty easy-they just look like garbage.

OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
This is literally the single reason I like Canadian cheer more than American cheer. I think over the past few years, I have never really seen piked layouts, only really piked if they're a mistake. No you don't see as many layouts in standing tumbling here, but I'd sure as heck rather see you throw a 2 to tuck than a two to pike. If ruling were to come out that a "piked layout" were to be scored differently (assuming just called a pike, though a single pike is kind of an awkward skill), would it really make a difference, I'm wondering...

This would make me so so so happy. A pike is more difficult than a tuck, but not as difficult as a layout....it needs to be considered a separate skill, because it IS a separate skill. I see piked layouts that are so gross...piked and knees bent (but not a tuck, because of the hip angle). Probably my biggest issue with cheer is the disgusting tumbling that so many (not all mind you) gyms put out on the floor.

This would make me so so so happy. A pike is more difficult than a tuck, but not as difficult as a layout....it needs to be considered a separate skill, because it IS a separate skill. I see piked layouts that are so gross...piked and knees bent (but not a tuck, because of the hip angle). Probably my biggest issue with cheer is the disgusting tumbling that so many (not all mind you) gyms put out on the floor.

I'd argue that a pike is actually easier than a tuck. That sounds really strange, but a lot of people initiate rotation in tucks from the knees (although they aren't supposed to) making the rotation actually more difficult than if they were to straighten their legs and initiate rotation from the feet (which is supposed to happen in a layout, but some people don't get the difference between assisting rotation, and doing the rotation completely). When I say initiate rotation, btw, I'm talking about after the initial set, which is what genuinely initiates rotation, but you know what I mean.

I'd argue that a pike is actually easier than a tuck. That sounds really strange, but a lot of people initiate rotation in tucks from the knees (although they aren't supposed to) making the rotation actually more difficult than if they were to straighten their legs and initiate rotation from the feet (which is supposed to happen in a layout, but some people don't get the difference between assisting rotation, and doing the rotation completely). When I say initiate rotation, btw, I'm talking about after the initial set, which is what genuinely initiates rotation, but you know what I mean.

I get that, and it may be true for some...but tucks are taught first because you rotate faster in a tuck than in a pike. Also, it's much easier to go from a tuck to a pike than from a pike to a tuck. Very similar to teaching a standing BHS before teaching a RO-BHS....it much more difficult to learn the other way around (even though it would make sense that a RO-BHS would be easier due to the momentum form the RO).

Back