All-Star Best Jumps Photos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I get that, and it may be true for some...but tucks are taught first because you rotate faster in a tuck than in a pike. Also, it's much easier to go from a tuck to a pike than from a pike to a tuck. Very similar to teaching a standing BHS before teaching a RO-BHS....it much more difficult to learn the other way around (even though it would make sense that a RO-BHS would be easier due to the momentum form the RO).

I think the issue here is improper teaching of tucks. When watching a tuck, your assumption is that you set for a flip, drive with the knees, open before you hit the ground, and yet you're supposed to be driving with your toes/ankles. It then leads to confusion in the pike/layout (though I'm assuming often in cheer, a pike is not taught separately from a layout) when an athlete thinks they are still driving with the knees, but with straight legs. Or thinks their main goal is to get around with their feet. We could have this discussion forever :p

MissBee said:
If you want to know what a full or a tuck should look like, watch this:

YouTube Video

Beautiful. I wish we had more world class gymnasts at my gym. Sadly, most of them are regular little rug rats with loose hips and pigeon toes. I'm still going to make them watch this so they can see absolutely perfect technique!

If you want to know what a full or a tuck should look like, watch this:

She shoots out of the tuck rather aggressively! :p I know it's compulsory, but I think most wouldn't do a normal tuck like that! :p Full was gorgeous though! I'll pm you a video of the perfect cheerleader, IMO, so we don't hijack this thread anymore! :p

The main reason I love this video, and one of my bigger pet peeves in cheer (I have a lot, in case you haven't noticed), the male jumper jumps higher than the female, but he still stays on time with her, and tucks in sync with her. I can't tell you how much I hate watching guys jump higher and off time, and tuck at a different time.

The main reason I love this video, and one of my bigger pet peeves in cheer (I have a lot, in case you haven't noticed), the male jumper jumps higher than the female, but he still stays on time with her, and tucks in sync with her. I can't tell you how much I hate watching guys jump higher and off time, and tuck at a different time.

they are absolutely AMAZING! wow

Yes!! i hate that too, id rather see a team do level toe touches and be all together than have the one or two guys/girls in the front be off because their jump goes so much high than everyone elses

I think the issue here is improper teaching of tucks. When watching a tuck, your assumption is that you set for a flip, drive with the knees, open before you hit the ground, and yet you're supposed to be driving with your toes/ankles. It then leads to confusion in the pike/layout (though I'm assuming often in cheer, a pike is not taught separately from a layout) when an athlete thinks they are still driving with the knees, but with straight legs. Or thinks their main goal is to get around with their feet. We could have this discussion forever :p

You can teach from feet, but you get the piked issue later down the road... Elite gymnastics teach it from the hip, rolling your hips creates the rotation... Hence why gymnasts are able to "cowboy" for double backs and single back tucks they are able to bring their knees to their chest and ankles to their butt...

All due to their hips rolling

You can teach from feet, but you get the piked issue later down the road... Elite gymnastics teach it from the hip, rolling your hips creates the rotation... Hence why gymnasts are able to "cowboy" for double backs and single back tucks they are able to bring their knees to their chest and ankles to their butt...

All due to their hips rolling

I'm not saying that a more experienced cheerleader or gymnast needs to stick with the initial way of teaching a tuck, but from the many gymnastics coaching courses, interacting with fellow coaches, and talking to friends still in the gymnastics world, it's generally first taught with the knees tucked in (not completely to the chest) with the toes driving it. I'm very highly doubting that's the way it is taught in the cheer world 90% of the time. At least the way I'm seeing most of these teams pull tucks. They're using their arms and knees more than their toes (or from your point of view the hips). I've actually heard people teach tucking as "going into the tuck position, and pulling your body around with your hands." I see how some tucks can LOOK that way, but if that's the way it's being taught in cheer, we have a problem on our hands.

Jumps are really my least favorite part of a routine both performing and watching. I hate watching the people in the back struggling to keep in time with the rest of the team because they don't have the strength to do multiple jumps to tuck. What I hate even more is when coaches dont recognize this, or they do and don't do anything about. Obviously i dont know what theyre strength training is at practice or w.e but I think putting an easier jump sequence that everyone can do is more logical until the other athletes can keep up.

Jumps are really my least favorite part of a routine both performing and watching. I hate watching the people in the back struggling to keep in time with the rest of the team because they don't have the strength to do multiple jumps to tuck. What I hate even more is when coaches dont recognize this, or they do and don't do anything about. Obviously i dont know what theyre strength training is at practice or w.e but I think putting an easier jump sequence that everyone can do is more logical until the other athletes can keep up.

I agree to a point, but there are way too many instances where athletes in the back are only required to do a triple toe back and can barely do it. A lot of instances, you can't dumb down your jump sequence if you are trying to remain competitive. Scores are so close these days between the top say 3 teams at big events that every little bit counts. Those athletes in the back have more of a reason to work than the people in the front who have ease doing it. I personally don't understand cheerleaders who neglect to train jump strength and endurance, but there are many out there, and often times seeing 15 or even maybe 32 people out there doing better than you will push you to do better to match/exceed them.

I agree to a point, but there are way too many instances where athletes in the back are only required to do a triple toe back and can barely do it. A lot of instances, you can't dumb down your jump sequence if you are trying to remain competitive. Scores are so close these days between the top say 3 teams at big events that every little bit counts. Those athletes in the back have more of a reason to work than the people in the front who have ease doing it. I personally don't understand cheerleaders who neglect to train jump strength and endurance, but there are many out there, and often times seeing 15 or even maybe 32 people out there doing better than you will push you to do better to match/exceed them.
I do wonder why athletes dont train for jumps as much as other parts of the routine such as tumbling.

Back