All-Star Best Scorpion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Considering she pops it back open to a straight leg it actually is clean..being the coach why would I continue to let them compete something "sloppy" ? Also the soccer comment that was a "tad" bit much...alot of tricks and unique skills people have competed in cheer are mostly ,an have been derived from other sports being gymnastics,rhythmic gymnastics, cirque de sole and numerous other places..to be honest we tumble in cheer do we not? And that comes from gymnastics ..an for the record nothing you really do in cheerleading is considered "safe" just in case you didn't know...that is why you have to sign those waivers I'm sure your gym has :)
In retrospect, the soccer comment isn't really a valid comparison. You're right.
You make many valid points but what it comes down to is personal taste. As coach, yes you have a right to like it and put it in the routine. In my opinion though, I do not like the skill. Like I said, it comes down to your own taste.
I'm sorry if my comments were taken the wrong way.
Good luck the rest of the season :)

LOL.

i mean "NO" it is NOT excessive. i'm sure if you could use a time machine and bring an all-star cheerleader from the 80s to the new millenium and showed them spikes, straight-legged scorpions, whatever you want to call it, they would think that those are excessive too. cheerleading evolves. and rhythmic gymnastics is a different sport but is very similar, and you cannot possibly be ignorant and say that cheerleading and gymnastics are too completely different sports with no relation at all when there are gymnastics elements in cheerleading (LIKE TUMBLING) and half of all star teams are inside gymnastics gyms. some acrobatic gymnastics literally do the SAME stunts cheerleaders do. so my comparison of cheerleading to gymnastics is valid and not outlandish at all. your analogy was a joke.

and obviously she can clean that up a little, it looks a tad sloppy in the picture. but that's on the flyer not on the skill itself. everything can be cleaned. and i don't understand how it is unsafe. it is no more unsafe than a regular spike. like i said, scorpions in the past do not look as crazy as the ones today. you have to look at the bigger picture.

and Maddie has already been brought up in this thread so get over it, we all know if a fan favorite did this skill everyone would be gushing as opposed to some no-name.
If you would have carefully read my post, you would know that by saying "no" you are answering my question as "no you're not the only one who thinks this is excessive".
Yes, it probably wasn't the best analogy and yours made more sense. However, you don't have to be so rude about it. You could say my analogy doesn't make sense politely rather than saying "your analogy was a joke".
Show some respect please and calm down. It's a cheerleading message board. No need to get so fired up. I was just stating my opinion.
I still stand by what I said, even if Maddie did it, I probably wouldn't like it in a routine. It is quite a generalization to say that "everyone would be gushing" if it was Maddie. No matter who does it, there are going to be people who don't like it. This is a subjective sport.
I'm sorry everyone for the temporary distraction. I'm not going to keep this going on the thread.
If you would like to discuss some more, PM me.

By answering "no" you agreed with me. So thanks :cool:
Why do you have to bring Maddie into this? She has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Rythmic gymnastics is a completely different sport. That's like saying if a soccer player can compete a bicycle kick, if a cheerleader can do one, they should bring a soccer ball out on the floor and do it.
No matter who is executing the skill, I think it's excessive. It doesn't look safe and it's kind of messy looking like someone already said. Impressive? Yes. Clean? Safe? No.

There's nothing unsafe about that skill. Nothing at all. If a person stretches properly, that is possible. I understand rhythmic gymnastics is a completely different sport, but the fact of the matter is those girls can do it, and they do it properly, and they do it well. It is not unsafe unless the person is getting the skill unsafely.
Whether you like it in a routine or not is obviously a matter of opinion, but it is no more unsafe than getting a straight legged scorpion. At that point, it's barely back flexibility, and pulling that would require more thigh flexibility.

There's nothing unsafe about that skill. Nothing at all. If a person stretches properly, that is possible. I understand rhythmic gymnastics is a completely different sport, but the fact of the matter is those girls can do it, and they do it properly, and they do it well. It is not unsafe unless the person is getting the skill unsafely.
Whether you like it in a routine or not is obviously a matter of opinion, but it is no more unsafe than getting a straight legged scorpion. At that point, it's barely back flexibility, and pulling that would require more thigh flexibility.
I'm done arguing this. However, this is the last thing I will say. I'm not saying it's impossible to stretch safely. I am saying that it is very easy to stretch the wrong way. There are many bad backs in cheerleading now from too much/incorrect stretching. It seems to me like it would be easier for people to hurt themselves stretching a new skill like this rather than a scorpion because the way to stretch a scorpion is more well known. And even then there are a lot of injuries stretching those.

My Flyer Morgan!!
She pulls a spike, then does the angler, then opens to scale.
We have another flyer who does it with her, but it's not quite as good.
x0z0cz.jpg

ETA: Sorry for hugeness

woww! amazing, but that is something I definitely wouldn't even consider a scorpion anymore!
Honestly, I would consider this more of a scorpions than any of the straight leg scorps. I respect the skill and flexibility of both, but I so believe they are different skills. Straight leg scorps, in my opinion, are "spikes."

That being said, while I appreciate the flexibility of this sill, I don't find it visually appealing and I would really want to see it performed by a team. Maybe it is something for this athlete to showcase during an individual competition, but not something I would like a team to strive for. I would much rather see a team making their existing skill more refined and uniform.

Honestly, I would consider this more of a scorpions than any of the straight leg scorps. I respect the skill and flexibility of both, but I so believe they are different skills. Straight leg scorps, in my opinion, are "spikes."

That being said, while I appreciate the flexibility of this sill, I don't find it visually appealing and I would really want to see it performed by a team. Maybe it is something for this athlete to showcase during an individual competition, but not something I would like a team to strive for. I would much rather see a team making their existing skill more refined and uniform.

I meant that I WOULDN'T want to see it performed by a team.

Back