All-Star Bobbling Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 8, 2010
Iwould love to know of some drills or advise anyone out there has for flyers. We are having trouble this year for some reason with our flyers bobbling. They are not even knew flyers so I am really confuse and am looking for a new aproach to fixing the problem.

Im not sure of any specific drills to fix bobbling but just repetition, repitition, repitition!! a lot(not always) of the time bobbling is the flyers fault because they are shaky and may not feel confident with the group underneath them, so if they hit it alot the confidence will go up. also have flyers work on maeflyers or tools like that.

Im not sure of any specific drills to fix bobbling but just repetition, repitition, repitition!! a lot(not always) of the time bobbling is the flyers fault because they are shaky and may not feel confident with the group underneath them, so if they hit it alot the confidence will go up. also have flyers work on maeflyers or tools like that.
Awesome thanks, that is the approach I am going to take.

Also, make sure the bases are squeezing the foot hard and keeping it steady because if the flyer doesn't feel stable, that's when mistakes happen.

our coaches have always done contests and made us continuously do the stunt until every flyer stands up and does what there supposed to. having to do it a million times is hard on the bases so everyone will get frustrated and work together to make it hit

Our coach makes us play a "game" where we have to hit it 3 times in a row prefect(all the groups together). For every bobble it's 2 standing tucks and for every fall it is 5 standing tucks. (we are level 4) . Ever since then our main stunts have been looking so much sharper and cleaner.

A lot of times, the reason for a bobble is because the flyer feels uncomfortable (obviously sometimes it's because she's not secure or something, but often it's just because she doesn't feel right) so just work on it over and over lots of times until you're solid! That way she'll feel more comfortable and the stunt will be more solid/consistent at the same time :) Good luck!!

Also, make sure the bases are squeezing the foot hard and keeping it steady because if the flyer doesn't feel stable, that's when mistakes happen.

Yes! Squeezing the foot is a big thing for me..I will stay up there even if my bases grip is all wrong, I just tell them to squeeze my foot! haha I especially like them to squeeze the foot during things like switch ups/tic tocs and power presses. I think those are the main target areas for bobbles.

Another problem area is simply flexibility along with confidence of a flyer when pulling their body positions. The best thing is to make sure all flyers are confident and able to fly the body positions that are expected. If they aren't I would either stretch that athlete until they get the skill and gain confidence or if it is more than one I would change the body position. This will minimize bobbles and dropped/omitted body positions in the air! :) Lastly, I LOVE having support from my teammates, coaches, and most importantly-my stunt group. It means the world to me when my group knows my weak areas and will say "we got you" or "your up there" and that is just what I need..I even had my back spot scream knee lock during a power press one year! hahaha it worked like magic!

Often, if its to do with the foot not being supported properly, or the ankle tipping, the back can do much more work if they move their hand down so that they are right on the ankle joint, and can squeeze it to stop it tipping...
Ive seen many backs work really hard and pull up really hard, but because they are just a little too high up on their flyers ankle it isnt doing any help. Alsoo, we did a little stunt group spirit challenge, where for each of the main stunt groups (the one legged sequence) we all chose a colour and each week we work to earn points, for things like hitting, or attitude or if our coach see's some really good progression ect...and then at the end of each term/at a big comp they scores get added up and whoever wins gets a little prize :)

It was so much fun, and we all got really into it, like wearing our colour to practice, we all made bows in that colour, had little mini cheers for our colour, all sorts :) it really increased team spirit and made us work harder to get points

Good Luck!

Agree with @ALittleBitTwisted , flexibility is key. Flexible flyer can more so pull off a stunt that has the potential to fall because they are able to change positions slightly to move with the bases. I know a lot of girls who are only semi confident pulling a heel stretch and when they go to pull they lean forward and the stunt bobbles so just the little things. With flying even the slightest wrong movement can throw a whole stunt off and cause a bobble so it is important all involved in the stunt know the right positions. If the flyer and all bases are vets but the front spot is newer ( for example only, I know a lot of people don't use fronts so sub main base or whatever there) and grabs the bases wrists the wrong way the whole stunt can bobble, so just make sure everyone knows their parts and how to properly execute.

our coaches have always done contests and made us continuously do the stunt until every flyer stands up and does what there supposed to. having to do it a million times is hard on the bases so everyone will get frustrated and work together to make it hit

I LOVE contests! my stunt group is really competitive so we always like to hit first at practice... or hit a new stunt first. and we do better when its a contest lol

Often, if its to do with the foot not being supported properly, or the ankle tipping, the back can do much more work if they move their hand down so that they are right on the ankle joint, and can squeeze it to stop it tipping...
Ive seen many backs work really hard and pull up really hard, but because they are just a little too high up on their flyers ankle it isnt doing any help. Alsoo, we did a little stunt group spirit challenge, where for each of the main stunt groups (the one legged sequence) we all chose a colour and each week we work to earn points, for things like hitting, or attitude or if our coach see's some really good progression ect...and then at the end of each term/at a big comp they scores get added up and whoever wins gets a little prize :)

It was so much fun, and we all got really into it, like wearing our colour to practice, we all made bows in that colour, had little mini cheers for our colour, all sorts :) it really increased team spirit and made us work harder to get points

Good Luck!

I really like that idea on the colors. I will check the backs grips as well I did not think of that one, thanks!!

Back