Boy Cheerleaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you think society views male cheerleaders as homosexual?

• Total voters
Aug 20, 2012
Ok, so I'm a boy cheerleader (age 15), and i love it. I couldn't imagine a better sport to be a part of.

But with being a male cheerleader, comes a slur of different insults, mainly people associating male cheerleaders with being homosexuals.

Firstly, what could possibly make a male cheerleader a homosexual? I mean, you come to a practice, surrounded by beautiful girls, and tell me that i'm gay.

Secondly, most people don't understand the difficulty that is actually involved in Competitive Cheerleading! It isn't easy, It isn't wimpy. We do a lot of work, and are often underappreciated.

So: my question. Why aren't there much more male cheerleaders? Is it because they can't handle the stress of the insults and constant criticism?

Cheerleading is my favorite sport in the world. It is fun, but still requires determination.

Can anyone answer my question?

Thanks

Nick.

My question: Do you do high school or allstar? Also cheerleading has always been viewed as a "girly" sport because of the Woo Raaaw typical sideline cheerleaders and uniforms. I honestly still have no idea why society still thinks like this because cheerleading has changed in So many ways with difficult tumbling, stunts, and advanced dances. Just ignore what society has to say and do what you love. PM if you have any more questions because I used to have a boy on my team and I needed to learn how to deal with this kinda of stuff. Don't expect everyone to understand.

My question: Do you do high school or allstar? Also cheerleading has always been viewed as a "girly" sport because of the Woo Raaaw typical sideline cheerleaders and uniforms. I honestly still have no idea why society still thinks like this because cheerleading has changed in So many ways with difficult tumbling, stunts, and advanced dances. Just ignore what society has to say and do what you love. PM if you have any more questions because I used to have a boy on my team and I needed to learn how to deal with this kinda of stuff. Don't expect everyone to understand.

Me, I'm an Allstar Cheerleader. I get criticized, because society views me as effeminate, and then friends come to my practices, and they're like "Woah."

One of my cp's is male, and he doesn't like boys. Or girls either. He's 8. And he loves to cheer.
But people have asked me if I think he's (insert hand wiggle.) I don't know what he is, but cheer won't make him gay any more than soccer would make him straight, so I don't think much of it.
I think society views cheerleaders as female, on the whole. Regardless of the history, they just view cheerleaders as one thing. And really, the vast majority of cheerleaders are female. Even the most open-minded, though ignorant, people see collegiate male cheerleaders on ESPN or whatever and get it, but often you have to remind them that they exist.
I kind of feel like it's our job to educate people and remind them that cheerleaders come in many shapes, sizes, colors and genders. Let's leave who they love out of it, because I can honestly tell you, from my son's point of view, that part doesn't matter one bit.

One of my cp's is male, and he doesn't like boys. Or girls either. He's 8. And he loves to cheer.
But people have asked me if I think he's (insert hand wiggle.) I don't know what he is, but cheer won't make him gay any more than soccer would make him straight, so I don't think much of it.
I think society views cheerleaders as female, on the whole. Regardless of the history, they just view cheerleaders as one thing. And really, the vast majority of cheerleaders are female. Even the most open-minded, though ignorant, people see collegiate male cheerleaders on ESPN or whatever and get it, but often you have to remind them that they exist.
I kind of feel like it's our job to educate people and remind them that cheerleaders come in many shapes, sizes, colors and genders. Let's leave who they love out of it, because I can honestly tell you, from my son's point of view, that part doesn't matter one bit.

I couldn't agree more. There is just a preconceived notion that male cheerleaders are either gay, or insecure of something. Yes, in reality, about 99 percent of cheerleaders are females, but male cheerleaders do exist and can be a very valuable asset to a cheerleading squad.

in the case of your son, good for him! Cheerleading's an amazing sport to be in, no matter what size, shape, color, or gender he is. And, even if he does turn out to be gay, it's not like you're not going to support him. He's doing what makes him happy, and not what pleases society. Power to him.

I couldn't agree more. There is just a preconceived notion that male cheerleaders are either gay, or insecure of something. Yes, in reality, about 99 percent of cheerleaders are females, but male cheerleaders do exist and can be a very valuable asset to a cheerleading squad.

Well, yes, there is the preconceived notion, but there's also the notion that cheerleaders are ditzy, shallow, blond, rich girls with eating disorders. There was also a notion until about a month ago, that a black girl couldn't win an Olympic Gold in Women's All-Around.
So, we didn't shape society's view of cheer, but it's our job to represent it respectfully and show society that males (period) are a huge benefit to our sport. Keep educating people!

Well, yes, there is the preconceived notion, but there's also the notion that cheerleaders are ditzy, shallow, blond, rich girls with eating disorders. There was also a notion until about a month ago, that a black girl couldn't win an Olympic Gold in Women's All-Around.
So, we didn't shape society's view of cheer, but it's our job to represent it respectfully and show society that males (period) are a huge benefit to our sport. Keep educating people!

Sorry, i would have been quicker to reply, but my mother was on my case about cleaning my room.(typical teenage boy). and yes, I agree. All the girls on my squad are level headed, down to earth, middle class girls, just like me( except for the girl part ) And Gabby Douglas was pretty great, I've got to hand it to her.

@Mamarazzi is right. Those preconceived notions are not only there from those outside the of cheer but inside as well. I have heard in years past coaches tell straight boy athletes to "gay" up their dance and motions and white girls to dance like black girls. Never in a demeaning way of course, but if you had no context or understanding of the cheer world you would think those coaches are horrible people for making those type of statements. There are plenty of married straight men who coach in this sport but all the attention usually goes to the homosexual men. So even in this sport there are those perceptions of what is or what should be.

Now as to why there are not more males? I know growing up way back in the dinosour years :D that the option was football, basketball, or baseball because those were the sports you could get PAID for if you were good. It was not just the idea of going to college but getting a check that drove your sport of choice. So it made sense to concentrate your efforts there. Any other sport at that time was deemed illogical and a waste of time, esp for a black male. If you could tumble that was seen as cool especially to the girl cheerleaders and gymnasts, but they did not want you to be a cheerleader with them.

Knowing I would never grow to be big enough to seriously pursue the main three sports outside of High School, I chose to stick with gymnastics and wrestling. So I got hit with the name calling as well, especially every day I left the schoolyard to ride my bike to gymnastic practice. Even to this day I get that quizzical look from a few people not associated with the sport when they ask me what I do for a living. They too make assumptions of what I am based on what I do.

One of the life lessons I have learned is instead of worrying, arguing, complaining or fighting with people about who or what you are, just be you and do you. If they are truly genuine people who care about you as a person then it really won't matter. Likewise if they are shallow who are only concerned about the superficial and temporary they will disappear overnight. Anybody who would demean you for your choice of cheerleading is someone IMO you need to delete from your life.

So: my question. Why aren't there much more male cheerleaders? Is it because they can't handle the stress of the insults and constant criticism?
In my opinion boys (and girls) are so afraid of being outcast and alone they want to conform and are afraid of the consequences should they not conform to a societal image as a whole and unfortunately cheerleading (despite being started by males) does not conform to what is deemed acceptable for a guy.

My cp is also a 15 yo male and has been cheering pop-warner and all stars for about 10 years now. He just doesn't care what others think about him and is looking to forge his own path in life.

One of my CPs is a male cheerleader and has dealt with this for the three years he's been doing it. But he loves it, he keeps doing it and now he's bringing friends to practice to say...you don't know what I do...let me show you. You are more of an ambassador to our sport than any singular cheerlebrity will ever be because as a whole, you stand out. You are the folks that catch people's attention because you're not the norm (societally speaking). And there are a LOT of you. So stand tall, be the ambassadors you are and cheer, stunt and jump your way to all the accolades you deserve because I don't think anyone can watch the cheetahs or top gun or any other large coed team without their jaw on the floor.

Folks just need to be educated about what it is you actually do. When they see that, it's not about the stereotypes...it's about the skills.

At 3 my son was the mascott for my daughters team. At 4 he competed, did I get asked about him yes. Do I still, yep but who cares.

He does it because he enjoys it and he doesn't care what anyone else thinks about it. There aren't enough boys who participate in this sport. Keep doing what you do and don't worry about everyone else, as hard as that is.

Back