Boy Cheerleaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you think society views male cheerleaders as homosexual?

• Total voters
I am a gay male cheerleader and I've known I was gay when I was like 6, long before I started cheer. Thankfully when I told my parents I wanted to cheer when I was 11 they were very supportive and wanted me to do want I wanted( they also knew I was gay my whole life they say) what my point is the reason why I wanted to cheer was because many of my friends were doing it they were all girls of course.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

DO NOT WORRY!!!!!! There are homosexual people everywhere! EVAN in the army which is pretty "manish" But I want to date a male cheerleader I think there adorable (im a girl) so no worries girl cheerleaders are often veryyyyyyy attracted to male cheerleaders :)

When another boy makes fun of you, just reply:

"I'm a professional lady lifter"
"I get to work with 30 beautiful lades, and see tens of thousands more at Dayton Beach"

As for your original question:
:So: my question. Why aren't there much more male cheerleaders? Is it because they can't handle the stress of the insults and constant criticism?:

It's not a male sport, trying to get men to tryouts is super hard.
Once they see it is a sport, the commitment to train and stick to it is a downer, so you need athletes or people with that mindset.
The intimidation factor from working with women cheerleaders that they don't normally associate with in real life.
Doing the cheers and movements, most guys laugh that part off.

I think this is a great topic. As a retired male cheerleader and now coach, I have definitely had my fair share of dealing with this issue. Unfortunately, the preexisting social norms of society (especially american) say that cheerleading is a girls "activity" (not even a sport). The reason behind this being that cheerleaders started as females cheering on the male athletes. But as society progressed, so did cheer as a SPORT, which is something that society has yet to catch up to. Yes, "negative" associations are made every day to male cheerleaders, but at the same time, its a sport you love and the "negative" association is becoming more accepted day by day as homosexuality is slowly becoming more socially accepted.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is....
Do what you love. Society is slow in changing view points because of old social norms. Embrace your sport, love it, and cherish the time you have in it. Screw what anyone else thinks. Be you. :) Hope this helps. :shimmy:

I think sometimes that other guys hate on you cause they're jealous that you can do cool skills and they can't! They also might be jealous that you are surrounded by gorgeous girls at the gym.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think this is a great topic. As a retired male cheerleader and now coach, I have definitely had my fair share of dealing with this issue. Unfortunately, the preexisting social norms of society (especially american) say that cheerleading is a girls "activity" (not even a sport). The reason behind this being that cheerleaders started as females cheering on the male athletes. But as society progressed, so did cheer as a SPORT, which is something that society has yet to catch up to. Yes, "negative" associations are made every day to male cheerleaders, but at the same time, its a sport you love and the "negative" association is becoming more accepted day by day as homosexuality is slowly becoming more socially accepted.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is....
Do what you love. Society is slow in changing view points because of old social norms. Embrace your sport, love it, and cherish the time you have in it. Screw what anyone else thinks. Be you. :) Hope this helps. :shimmy:
The first cheerleaders were men and remained that way for many, many years before woman joined in.

The question of why more guys don't choose to cheer All-Stars is a difficult one to answer. First, I think the World of ASCheer is a subculture that the majority of people don't even know exists at all. They see it on TV, but don't understand what it is. My kids have been cheering for 7 years and I still have people ask me "So what team do they cheer for?" As in sideline cheer. It is a difficult thing for people to grasp who only have an understanding of traditional Cheerleading. My son has taken to comparing it to "club" sports. I think if the sport was called something different in the beginning the situation today would be much different. I'm sure you are right on that its the fear of ridicule that prevents most boys from participating. We have homeschooled all along and I have often wondered if my son would have chosen to cheer had we not. I'm glad you've found your way to a sport you love and are willing to do it in spite of what others might think.

For what its worth, being an adult male I never knew that cheer was also a male sport. I grew up playing soccer, basketball, etc. I also never knew that cheer existed beyond school cheer (as in allstar). However once my daughter became envolved in allstar, I really got the picture. I see how difficult the sport really is in comparison to other sports and think it is more difficult in many ways than those sports. I really enjoy cheerleading and became immersed in it, and would not be ashamed if I had a son who was involved in cheer.

In regards to the poll and the question in general, I think it is awful that they do! We have a really good friend that is a phenomenal dancer/choreographer who we've known for years but have never looked at his profession that way. I don't think cheer should be any different!

For what its worth, being an adult male I never knew that cheer was also a male sport. I grew up playing soccer, basketball, etc. I also never knew that cheer existed beyond school cheer (as in allstar). However once my daughter became envolved in allstar, I really got the picture. I see how difficult the sport really is in comparison to other sports and think it is more difficult in many ways than those sports. I really enjoy cheerleading and became immersed in it, and would not be ashamed if I had a son who was involved in cheer.
Love it. My son is the cheer leader in the family and I am incredibly proud of him for sticking with a sport he loves despite all the ridicule and other crap that comes with it.

I think it also has to do with what part of the country you live in. Where we live it is very hard to field a coed team with even close to the max number of males. Very few boys choose cheer as their primary sport. Cp's gym has one boy on a youth team and he was the only boy in the whole gym on a full season team last year. If a gym has a coed team around here, it tends to be an open team and the boys are usually coaches.

I think it also has to do with what part of the country you live in. Where we live it is very hard to field a coed team with even close to the max number of males. Very few boys choose cheer as their primary sport. Cp's gym has one boy on a youth team and he was the only boy in the whole gym on a full season team last year. If a gym has a coed team around here, it tends to be an open team and the boys are usually coaches.

This is how it is on my area as well. My 15yr old son starting doing all star last year. He is a 6' 230lb football player. He says cheer takes more teamwork than football and he loves it. Of course he is in it for the chicks. :) His friends are always blown away when they go anywhere around our town and all the cute girls from the surrounding suburbs come up and hug my son. I wish more boys would cheer. The coed division is always the most exiting for me to watch at competitions.

Back