Boy Cheerleaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you think society views male cheerleaders as homosexual?

• Total voters
Most of the ignorance surrounding cheer and guys comes from just that, ignorance. That is not being a mean term, ignorant means not knowing or having no knowledge of. I have been married for 20 yrs and when I coached I was always assumed as "gay". Not once did it bother me. Now being an adult is much easier than being a young adult and not worrying. Society is very cruel. The thing I love most about cheering is that you can be the dance your butt off, final pass small guy or the strong full up to heel stretch muscled base. Both are loved and needed. I am ordained and I always go back to this, love your neighbor as you love yourself. So love who you are. I also urge our industry, I believe it was mentioned by the owner of Stingrays a couple years ago too, lets not make it where a guy has to be any certain way, feminine or masculine, let them be who they are and work with that. Don't worry, though its hard, about others. Most of the time you can't change their opinions anyway. Just love em and let you be you.

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!

I wanna say I have A LOT of respect for male cheerleaders. although my all star team is all girls my high school team is co-ed. yadayadayada here comes my story. the other day we found out one of our boys had quit football to join cheer. this upset the football team (even though they haven't had tryouts yet) he had been a very good started for a few years. the football team harassed him at practice for it and all I can say is thank god he is a strong kid. like cut him some slack. he is a VERY good cheerleader and we welcomed him to our family with open arms even giving him the option to work out football and cheer.. but you can see how much he loves it because he gave up his starting football position to be a cheerleader. now my question is what gives people the right to harass male cheerleaders. they are GOOD they are HARDWORKING and between 9 guys in several years they are STRAIGHT! so why does the word "gay" or "homo" come to mind when people think male cheerleader. people are ignorant and I think that's part of the problem. needless to say our cheer team is hoping to win our second state champion title and top 3 in nationals this year. and our football team is lucky to make playoffs. I am happy to have a coed team and I will defend them as if they were my brothers.. because if it were my brother I hope people would do the same.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Most of the ignorance surrounding cheer and guys comes from just that, ignorance. That is not being a mean term, ignorant means not knowing or having no knowledge of. I have been married for 20 yrs and when I coached I was always assumed as "gay". Not once did it bother me. Now being an adult is much easier than being a young adult and not worrying. Society is very cruel. The thing I love most about cheering is that you can be the dance your butt off, final pass small guy or the strong full up to heel stretch muscled base. Both are loved and needed. I am ordained and I always go back to this, love your neighbor as you love yourself. So love who you are. I also urge our industry, I believe it was mentioned by the owner of Stingrays a couple years ago too, lets not make it where a guy has to be any certain way, feminine or masculine, let them be who they are and work with that. Don't worry, though its hard, about others. Most of the time you can't change their opinions anyway. Just love em and let you be you.

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!
I agree with your post. I try telling everyone I come across in life to "be your self". At the end of the day, you should be happy with the decisions you have made. Your life is your own and make it special!

I would say not many do it because they are afraid of what their peers will think of them. Or, they listen to the stereo types that the sport and its athletes are given so the males don't take it seriously. On my highschool team, there are actually two boys trying out this year. One of them is a varsity football player. I never in my life thought something like this would happen, so just remember not everyone has the mindset that male cheerleaders are gay or the sport is wimpy and pointless.

I would say not many do it because they are afraid of what their peers will think of them. Or, they listen to the stereo types that the sport and its athletes are given so the males don't take it seriously. On my highschool team, there are actually two boys trying out this year. One of them is a varsity football player. I never in my life thought something like this would happen, so just remember not everyone has the mindset that male cheerleaders are gay or the sport is wimpy and pointless.

I've seen several choose not to, even though you could tell they wanted to, not because of their peers reactions....but their parents. Especially their fathers.

I've seen several choose not to, even though you could tell they wanted to, not because of their peers reactions....but their parents. Especially their fathers.

I was leery at first with it but out grew that rather quickly and knew I had to support my son and let him follow his own path. Has been worth the ride so far. :)

Ok, so I'm a boy cheerleader (age 15), and i love it. I couldn't imagine a better sport to be a part of.

But with being a male cheerleader, comes a slur of different insults, mainly people associating male cheerleaders with being homosexuals.

Firstly, what could possibly make a male cheerleader a homosexual? I mean, you come to a practice, surrounded by beautiful girls, and tell me that i'm gay.

Secondly, most people don't understand the difficulty that is actually involved in Competitive Cheerleading! It isn't easy, It isn't wimpy. We do a lot of work, and are often underappreciated.

So: my question. Why aren't there much more male cheerleaders? Is it because they can't handle the stress of the insults and constant criticism?

Cheerleading is my favorite sport in the world. It is fun, but still requires determination.

Can anyone answer my question?

Thanks

Nick.
I'm laughing because your username is cheergirl11 yet you're a boy. And do what you love regardless of what people say! See what they have to say when you win worlds.

Ok, so I'm a boy cheerleader (age 15), and i love it. I couldn't imagine a better sport to be a part of.

But with being a male cheerleader, comes a slur of different insults, mainly people associating male cheerleaders with being homosexuals.

Firstly, what could possibly make a male cheerleader a homosexual? I mean, you come to a practice, surrounded by beautiful girls, and tell me that i'm gay.

Secondly, most people don't understand the difficulty that is actually involved in Competitive Cheerleading! It isn't easy, It isn't wimpy. We do a lot of work, and are often underappreciated.

So: my question. Why aren't there much more male cheerleaders? Is it because they can't handle the stress of the insults and constant criticism?

Cheerleading is my favorite sport in the world. It is fun, but still requires determination.

Can anyone answer my question?

Thanks

Nick.
People are just jerks and believe you're gay if you don't play foot ball. I think cheerleaders are the manliest men out there!

Back