All-Star Boys Shouldn't Fly???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The statement "judges and EP's discourage it" bothers me more than, "I find it distracting." I believe most coaches can appreciate honesty even if they disagree. When I see a horrible orange spray tan, or over the top and repeated facials, an overly provocative dancer, an unusually incredible dancer, hair of an unusual color, a boy flying, etc. I DO find it/them to be a distraction. I think it is up to the coaches to then decide if it is a good or bad distraction. I watched a youth team yesterday and there was a little girl, cute as a button, that repeated the same 3 facials over and over again and I couldn't help but watch her the whole time, she was a riot. First it was the wide eyed and mouth open as an "O", then it was puffed out cheeks with kissy lips, and then on to the wrinkled up nose and little head shake. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you a dang thing about the routine because I was too busy watching her. I realize judges should be trained to "overlook distractions" but, sometimes the eyes just draw to what is different or unusual, good or bad.

Yes, "they're distracting" because all we want to do is watch them not the rest of the flyers, because they're so hard to come buy. But if they were used more frequently (which they should be), no one would "be distracted"

I love seeing boy flyers... especially if they can pull all the body positions and show the same spirit
in the air as the girls...

To all of those who find male flyers 'distracting' because of their uniform, or because they're not a girl, do you find a white flyer on a majority black team distracting? Or a black flyer on a majority white team? Because they definitely stand out too. Are you suggested they shouldn't be flying because they don't look 'uniform' like the rest of the team?

Cheer should be INCLUSIVE, regradless of gender, race, sexual orientation etc, nobody can help what they are born with, including what they want to do. We should be encouraging anybody who wants to take part to do so, we should be congratulating those who have the confidence to do something that may not be 'typical' to them, where they may be at risk for criticism, and we should be supporting every single individual in our community. Girls are admired for single basing stunts, why should boys not be admired for flying?

To all of those who find male flyers 'distracting' because of their uniform, or because they're not a girl, do you find a white flyer on a majority black team distracting? Or a black flyer on a majority white team? Because they definitely stand out too. Are you suggested they shouldn't be flying because they don't look 'uniform' like the rest of the team?

Cheer should be INCLUSIVE, regradless of gender, race, sexual orientation etc, nobody can help what they are born with, including what they want to do. We should be encouraging anybody who wants to take part to do so, we should be congratulating those who have the confidence to do something that may not be 'typical' to them, where they may be at risk for criticism, and we should be supporting every single individual in our community. Girls are admired for single basing stunts, why should boys not be admired for flying?
Lawd I can't shimmy this enough. Perfect.

I Couldnt agree more!! Love it!!

This is purely my opinion as someone who thinks very long term. As someone who has been in cheerleading for a very long time this is just my honest opinion. I don't believe that makes should fly for a few reasons. One is that in most stunting sections anymore there is choreography for the flyer, to watch a boy flip his hair or to roll their bodies in a feminine way( both that I seen this past weekend) I don't believe should be acceptable. I think that if someone is going to have a male fly, they need to have clean flyer choreography. As for long term, if this male is going to move on and wants to cheer in college, he will most likely not have the overall necessary skills that it takes to base a coed stunt. I do however find it acceptable for a male to fly in the pyramid or another bracing type stunt, that shows strength. I love to see a good pyramid where girls are flying higher because they have a male counterpart that is able to help them do a more advanced skill. If someone is not looking to go further than allstars, go on being fierce. I just feel if most programs would build up their males to be strong and start them young coed stunting that they will build better ground work towards expanding the male view on what cheerleading is supposed to be about. Many people bully male cheerleaders because they see the femininity in it and it becomes harder and harder to open cheerleading up to the world.

I love everyone and think that if you have the skill to fly and you can be successful at it, go for it but from a different perspective I think there are much better ways to train male athletes.

Please don't hurt me.

What's wrong with males being feminine though? Like I don't get this, I always felt women more or less get more leeway to be masculine but not the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I don't have an issue with males being feminine as long as they are comfortable with being fierce and sassy heck a lot of females need to take notes on Fierceness from the males especially in dance

This is purely my opinion as someone who thinks very long term. As someone who has been in cheerleading for a very long time this is just my honest opinion. I don't believe that makes should fly for a few reasons. One is that in most stunting sections anymore there is choreography for the flyer, to watch a boy flip his hair or to roll their bodies in a feminine way( both that I seen this past weekend) I don't believe should be acceptable. I think that if someone is going to have a male fly, they need to have clean flyer choreography. As for long term, if this male is going to move on and wants to cheer in college, he will most likely not have the overall necessary skills that it takes to base a coed stunt. I do however find it acceptable for a male to fly in the pyramid or another bracing type stunt, that shows strength. I love to see a good pyramid where girls are flying higher because they have a male counterpart that is able to help them do a more advanced skill. If someone is not looking to go further than allstars, go on being fierce. I just feel if most programs would build up their males to be strong and start them young coed stunting that they will build better ground work towards expanding the male view on what cheerleading is supposed to be about. Many people bully male cheerleaders because they see the femininity in it and it becomes harder and harder to open cheerleading up to the world.

I love everyone and think that if you have the skill to fly and you can be successful at it, go for it but from a different perspective I think there are much better ways to train male athletes.

Please don't hurt me.
So should a female base not base a one mans? Because she is female? Or are you ok with females basing one man stunts?

Please don't hurt me.

Dont even know how to respond to this.... I just wanna say that i do not agree with you ONE BIt but ypu still are allowed your feelings. In my eyes i prefer male flyers to baby flyers (i refuse to use the f word if you know wich one i mean..) and i feel like they should be as much allowed to do hair flips and stuff as the girls.. yes cheer is potrayed as feminine and all male cheerleaders have probably heard that theyre gay (even though most arent) but i feel like we should embrace that because cheer is growing in a rapid pace and we still have the same image.

Please don't hurt me.
We should always encourage anyone involved in our sport, male or female, to be true to themselves. If a boy feels comfortable being 'fierce', flipping their hair or doing motions usually considered more 'feminine', then good on them.

I also don't think 'fierceness' and college success are mutually exclusive. There's one high-profile team in particular this year which is famous for its crossovers from a college team. Their boys absolutely KILL their dance and motions, where some of the moves involve a bit of hair-flipping and general sassiness. And they cheer for one of the most successful college programs in history.

You're entitled to your opinions, though.

As someone who has gotten relentless comments (and eggs) thrown at me over the last 11 years of cheerleading, I agree with @m.syverson9's comments.

Be fierce, be strong, but don't shame the rest of us in the process

Back